Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torence 20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anyone have a modified air filter with lotsa pics for a jonsered 920, we all know the stock filter set up is complete junkk

Unless the porting is dramatically different, a 930 won't provide much, if any, difference, as the displacement between the two saws is identical.

I wouldn't say that the 920 filter is junk, but the one on your saw might be. And you won't find a NOS one, so modding is your only option. Make a new, taller filter cover and get yourself some more surface area.

Or just use a sock.

920, a great saw, I've owned three, some claim they're a bit heavy, but I love em'.

Unless the porting is dramatically different, a 930 won't provide much, if any, difference, as the displacement between the two saws is identical.

I wouldn't say that the 920 filter is junk, but the one on your saw might be. And you won't find a NOS one, so modding is your only option. Make a new, taller filter cover and get yourself some more surface area.

Or just use a sock.

920, a great saw, I've owned three, some claim they're a bit heavy, but I love em'.

Afaik, the 930 cylinders exploit the port openings in the case, and the 920 ones doesn't - but that is just something that I read! :msp_wink:

Well, as far as I know, you're right, because all that I know of it is what you just wrote.

Regarding the origin of the post, I don't know why stock filters are so bad, besides that they're not available whatsoever.

Actually the 930 is quite an improvement power wise. its pretty easy to get a 920 to run close to a 930....do what Jonsered did...mod the transfers where they meet the cases! I've gone around this block a few times and posted pics of the differences between the cylinders and even pics modding a 920 to match a 930. I have a few 920's and one modded to 930 specs. Spike has a really clean (and crisp) 930 which is the standard by which all those class saws wish they could measure (up to). We will eventually see if my 920 with the transfers cut and a muffler mod can stick with Spike's 930. Right now...50/50 in my mind. And yes they are heavy.. the standard 920 is a disappointment...if you have ever run a 930!

Last edited:
Some pics. Won't say much as the experts should define this not me. Suffice to say I made three changes, one you can see and the other two you can't, both are "no-no's " But there is a noticeable increase in power. The one's you can't see, were to compensate "weimedog style" for increased case volume & compression adjustments. ...It worked well enough for me. :rolleyes2: But if I post it I'll be ripped to shred's LOL!

Stock 920. You can see the outline of the case transfer x-section.
223582d1329113551-920cyl-stock-jpg

Matched the 920 cylinder to the case. (Best way is to split the cases....and do half at a time) The Jonsered Modded ones just were cut straight with an end mill...no matching at all...but they worked! This pic was taken about 3/4 of the way to being finished (roughed out) to show in concept what was happening...more work was done. Also have to stress..I'm a hack! The real builders here would do a much better build.

223583d1329113566-920jred-mod-jpg

A little further along next to a stock 820.
223588d1329115221-920-820-jpg

Testing to see if it would run. It did ( And still does). Picked up both RPM's and grunt everywhere. That beech is rock hard! Especially in cold weather. Not soft wood out here...
223584d1329113594-920-vsbeech-jpg

Last edited:
Some pics. Won't say much as the experts should define this not me. Suffice to say I made two changes, both are "no-no's " But there is a noticeable increase in power. One..you can see. The other was to compensate weimedog style for increased case volume. ...It worked. :rolleyes2: .....

Well, you are one of the experts, as far as I know - but I still hope that Spike will join in! :msp_wink:

Well, you are one of the experts, as far as I know - but I still hope that Spike will join in! :msp_wink:

Thank you for the complement..but I have no delusions of grandeur..:msp_smile: You on the other hand..have a wealth of knowledge....especially on that Swedish iron.

Couple of more pics that are relevant

Two STOCK 920 Barrels...one a later model and also what a 930 looks like ..take a wild guess!
223592d1329116117-jred920barrels-jpg

Another one of my 920's...:) It runs well too...
223593d1329116202-jred920r-jpg

Other side
223594d1329116216-jred920l-jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the complement..but I have no delusions of grandeur..:msp_smile: You on the other hand..have a wealth of knowledge....especially on that Swedish iron.

Couple of more pics that are relevant

Two STOCK 920 Barrels...one a later model and also what a 930 looks like ..take a wild guess!
223592d1329116117-jred920barrels-jpg

I assume the late one will perform better, with the transfers going down to the case - but remember that I am no expert, and only relying on posts I have read before.

Later Husky xp saws adopted the transfers going into the case though, but those have four of them! :msp_wink:

anyone have a modified air filter with lotsa pics for a jonsered 920, we all know the stock filter set up is complete junkk

You can convert your 920 filter system to the 930 system, but in order to do so, you need the 930 top cover, air filter cover, intake elbow and air filter (same as 6-- series saws). It is an improvement, but probably just as hard to find as a 920 filter!

i have a 930 jug and piston. so should i use the 930 instead? the bottom end on the 920/930 is identical rite?

I have one i cant tell if 920 or 930,the metal tag has a "ding" right were the middle number is.
is there a way to tell what it is without taking it apart ??

I have one i cant tell if 920 or 930,the metal tag has a "ding" right were the middle number is.
is there a way to tell what it is without taking it apart ??

1st main difference is the top cover and air filter cover. 2 screws on the air filter cover on a 930. 6-- style air filter on a 930. If you have those, than it most likely is a 930.

1st main difference is the top cover and air filter cover. 2 screws on the air filter cover on a 930. 6-- style air filter on a 930. If you have those, than it most likely is a 930.

Looks like it's a 920 then.
tnx.

yea mine is going to be a fire wood saw. i got all new bearings installed and case halves put back together now just gotta clean up the parts and pieces and prep for assembly

Back