93-year-old froze to death, owed big utility bill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not immigrants....................... ILLEGAL immigrants, living off the taxpayers dime. ILLEGAL immigrants.......... see the difference??:dizzy:

Yes I see the differance but authorities fail to. The estimated 330 billion spent on their presence should have every reb blooded American starting the second Alamo. I am soooooooo disgusted with officials spending our dollars to ruin our standard of living. The red coats are here again and it is high time we do something or else we will be Usexico.

PS the ww2 vet should have been taken care of fu:censored:
profit they likely made plenty off him through the years friggin
bean counters scre?em.

Last edited:
They said on the news today he had STACKS of cash all laid out to pay bills with and thousands more in cash in the house. Probably just didnt get around to paying or had forgotten.

Damn shame either way.

Take a moment to think about anyone around you. Elderly, forgetful, alone or just not all there, and maybe stop in and check on them. You'll sleep better tonight, I promise.

Shutting off a 93 year old man's power in an area where temps were reaching into double negative digits is tantamount to murder in my opinion. I hope that someone is held accountable. That story sickens me. And yes I have checked on the elderly that I know. I made sure that my elderly neighbor had firewood and split it for him this year (free of charge). When the ice storm hit last year and we were without power for a couple weeks I went through my books and contacted my existing customer base (with a special eye to the most vulnerable) to make sure they could get out of their driveways to get groceries and made sure they had firewood to heat their homes before I worried about making money. Not that I am some kind of saint or anything, I was genuinely concerned for these people's welfare. I believe that our society will be judged by how well we look after the weakest amongst us.

I'm not a dem or a republican. I'm not extreme right or extreme left. However, I feel that we should have programs in place to lend a hand to the weakest in our society. I'm not talking about supporting able bodied people but as much wealth as this country has no one should be going hungry or freezing to death in their own home.

How would you feel if it were your father or grandfather?

Last edited:
I think that the point is not whether the electric co. was responsible or not but that they didn't care. You might say that they are not being paid to care but when we lose the human emotion of caring I think that is when we cease being human.

If this man did have money I'm sure that he didn't have the mental capacity to use it. It does say that freezing is a painful death. I think that to suggest that he was just too tight to pay for his electricity this winter when he had been paying for his electricity for decades is just ridiculous.

My mother is almost 86 years old. My dad passed away Feb. of last year. Her mental state has plummeted since he passed away. I'm just glad that she has family to take care of her because I don't think that she could do it by herself. If my mother didn't have a family to take care of her I would like to think that someone out there would lend her a helping hand.

Shutting off a 93 year old man's power in an area where temps were reaching into double negative digits is tantamount to murder in my opinion. I hope that someone is held accountable. That story sickens me. And yes I have checked on the elderly that I know. I made sure that my elderly neighbor had firewood and split it for him this year (free of charge). When the ice storm hit last year and we were without power for a couple weeks I went through my books and contacted my existing customer base (with a special eye to the most vulnerable) to make sure they could get out of their driveways to get groceries and made sure they had firewood to heat their homes before I worried about making money. Not that I am some kind of saint or anything, I was genuinely concerned for these people's welfare. I believe that our society will be judged by how well we look after the weakest amongst us.

I'm not a dem or a republican. I'm not extreme right or extreme left. However, I feel that we should have programs in place to lend a hand to the weakest in our society. I'm not talking about supporting able bodied people but as much wealth as this country has no one should be going hungry or freezing to death in their own home.

How would you feel if it were your father or grandfather?

The :censored::censored:bean counting lawyers in the power company likely filed a mechanics lean just before shutting down his heat. Scr>wem dern bean counting traitors hangem hangem high the system needs and good
old fashion azz stompin from top down imo. Lead follow or get the heck outta the way.

Some one needs to be brought up on Manslaughter charges that is for sure. at the very least negligent homicide. And if is a committee that makes this decision the so be it the hole committee needs to be charged, This kind of ignorance is bull%$%#.

It is a shame. I thought here in Ontario the utilities couldn't disconnect in the winter but I looked it up and they can after warnings etc.

It reminds me of an older fellow (I'm thinking he was in his 70's) I did work for and when it came time for the bill he went to the freezer and got the cash and gave it to me. He was going on about some woman that was trying to take his money and we chatted for a bit. Then he asks how much he owes me, didn't know he just paid me. I told him he's already paid and I get out of there hoping I don't get accused of anything.

I'm sure the fellow in the story was very confused.

I betcha he was a democrat

And he was just waiting for Obama to take office and pay all his bills for him.
On a serious note.. If you have any elderly neighbor.. drop in and check on them. You never know you might end up in their will. Happens all the time.
I am not trying to make little of this situation. But there are a lot of folks that Have no kin or friends left on earth. If someone had befriended this 93 year old man he might have lived many more years to come.

Around my neck of the woods the power company cannot shut off the power from November to April. But if you don't pay up in April they waste no time notifying you that you have ten days or else.

I agree, many abled bodies are too lazy to work, and get government handouts, but a world war two vet cant because he probably doesnt know how, so he freezes to death that is sad.:cry:

Don't blame the company. The blame falls squarely on his friends, neighbors, relatives and the community.

neighbors, friends and family didn't cut off vital services. I know the Utility company wants to use this as their rationale behind their logic to escape accountability.

Maybe the concerned Utility should have given notice to the neighbors of the pending disconnection if they want to be truthful in their intent.

No excuse and know one else to blame but themselves

Don't blame the company. The blame falls squarely on his friends, neighbors, relatives and the community.

Ray,
I hope the good lord doesn't ever leave you in a similar fate. You know the one in which you may outlive your relatives...and friends as well. Heck of a penalty to pay for living too long.

While most of us here are still strong enough to fend for ourselves there are some in the country who cannot, there may be some in our own neighborhoods as well.

Please don't mistake me for another bleeding heart liberal, but these are the ONLY situations in that a government should be involved. When tax paying, law abiding CITIZENS need help there should be a support mechanism. Bailing out Illegals or doling out TARP money so that some bank CEO can spend millions on his Jet or desk or office remodeling should not be the Feds responsibilty. I am a staunch Conservative and a Banker by day. What the Federal Government does and what a local Government turns it's back on truly disgust me as a human being.

Rant off.

And he was just waiting for Obama to take office and pay all his bills for him.
On a serious note.. If you have any elderly neighbor.. drop in and check on them. You never know you might end up in their will. Happens all the time.
I am not trying to make little of this situation. But there are a lot of folks that Have no kin or friends left on earth. If someone had befriended this 93 year old man he might have lived many more years to come.

That's about it really.

No excuses for the municipal power dept. but as far as they knew, the house was abandoned without information to the contrary, and no doubt several notices mailed out. Granted though, the guy who put the restrictor on the house should have knocked and figured out the old guy wasn't in any shape to have the heat cut off. Somewhere in this, there may be a case of involuntary Manslaughter for a creative Lawyer.

Folks that have financial issues can make arraingements with the power companys if they need.

But lacking the Faculties, or anyone to help the guy, he froze to death in the dark.

When things get bad out, check on your neighbors.
Heck, check on 'em now and then when things are good.
Maybe thier kids will check on you when you're old, senile, and needing a hand now and then.
The sort of stuff we USED to do in this country back 30-40 years ago, and is now rare outside of small communities.

Damn shame.
Dingeryote

It is a dog eat dog world every man for him self, the shape this country is the worst i have seen in 68 yrs. in the near future there will be allot more old and not so old people freeze and starve because the younger generation could care less, think I'm wrong ?? if you are between 60 and 80 yrs old how
many friends and relatives visit you a mouth if you live out in the country??? rant over

It is a dog eat dog world every man for him self, the shape this country is the worst i have seen in 68 yrs. in the near future there will be allot more old and not so old people freeze and starve because the younger generation could care less, think I'm wrong ?? if you are between 60 and 80 yrs old how
many friends and relatives visit you a mouth if you live out in the country??? rant over

Good rant and understood it is worsened by the fact our politicians and officials condone illegal labor to take away the means and standard of living that could enable the youth to help care for aging friends and relatives. It stinks to high hel? and it is going to cost our nation imo.

I read this on the news elsewhere this morning. The gentleman was a WW2 vet, had no kids and his wife had already passed some time back. It really saddens me to see our society giving handouts to people who are too damn lazy to work for a living and then turn around and let someone who fought for our country freeze to death.

:agree2: You got that one right!

I see the illegal Mexicans here in line at the store, and they all have FOOD STAMPS to cash for groceries. At the same time some WWII vet freezes to death becasue of a greedy power service company and unpaid bills. Oh, and NEIGHBORS and SOME OTHER PEOPLE are supposed to be responsible for the results? Oh no, its not the power company's fault. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

What a crock... someone there should be arrested for manslaughter.

Last edited:
Good rant and understood it is worsened by the fact our politicians and officials condone illegal labor to take away the means and standard of living that could enable the youth to help care for aging friends and relatives. It stinks to high hel? and it is going to cost our nation imo.

It kind of reminds me of years ago when the illegal labor began to really get noticed. Several farmers where quoted on the news as saying,"they do the work that nobody else will."
Wouldnt want to bet on that one now! I know I have a great deal of pride myself, but I know if I was out of work and someone offered me a job picking produce I would be all over that until something better came along.

A town just south of us has a large commercial nursery going, and they have been all over the news because of one woman. She has worked their for years, but recently a hispanic gentleman(I use the term rather loosely) took over as the field boss.He then began placing her on male only crews, extending her work hours to 70 hours a week, and managed to "lose" her overtime.
When confronted by the woman, he flat out said he didnt want any white folks working there, and if she didnt like it hit the street. Luckily enough for her she went to the press, and a sharp reporter actually got the hispanic foreman to admit that he didnt want any white folks on his crew.Guess he hasnt been in this country long enough to know to keep his mouth shut.

Of coarse the company that owns the nursery denies any wrong doing, and are "investigating".

yeah, I know this has nothing to do with a 93 yr old dying, it just relevant to some of the side comments going on this thread.

Just out of curiosity what does this have to do with politics, illegal immigrants, or veterans status?

This guy DID NOT die because he sat in his house saying:

"I'm a bleeding heart liberal and I think I should get heat for free because I can't pay for it!"

He also DID NOT die because the power company said:

"We're hardcore personal responsibility conservatives and we think you should freeze to death if you can't pay!"

Finally, he DID NOT die because resources were allocated elsewhere so that illegal immigrants could have heat.

He DID die because of the following:

-Obviously the "lights were on" (pardon the pun) but no one was home in terms of his mental state.

-His neighbors either didn't know him well enough to come over and check on him periodically, or did know him and just didn't do so.

-The power company didn't do much in the way of homework before they placed his home on the limiting device.

Quite simply, this poor guy "fell through the cracks" as so many do during this time of year. Obviously, the first line of defense is yourself, but in cases of the very young and the very old, this isn't always reliable. Should the government or other entities take care of these people when they cannot take care of themselves? That's a philosophical question. However, I will say this-the cold weather doesn't care about your age, race, veterans status, citizenship, etc... Therefore turning this into an argument of "WWII vet dies because illegal immigrants stole his heat" is ridiculous at best. It's using a tragedy to grind an ax at worst. I don't like illegal immigrants as much as the next guy, but don't sit there with a straight face and tell me that they were responsible for this poor man's death.

NO ONE should have to freeze or starve to death in this country especially if they cannot help themselves. If they're illegal immigrants from points south and they're freezing the best thing we can do for them is send them home where it's warm! If they're U.S. citizens they should be able to rely on their neighbors, social service agencies, and as a last resort the government for help. All it would have taken is one neighbor to call the Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, Lutheran Social Ministries, etc...to get this guy some help. All it would have taken was one utility worker actually knocking on the door before shutting the power off to see what kind of mental state this poor old fella was in. The United States may have become great in large part because of our philosophy of rugged individualism, but we don't live in a vacuum. The good book tells you all you need to know about how to treat your neighbors. That should transcend all arguments about citizenship, political philosophy, etc...

Back