'95 Badit Chipper Model 90 w/ ford 4cylinder no spark bad Murphy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZiel

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm new to this forum and owning a chipper. I've read lots of great info on this site so I thought I'd start here with my problem. I'm going to really look at things this weekend but here is my issue.

Just acquired a well maintained bandit model 90. Ran great, started it and barley used it then it sat for a week.

Rain storm came and the chipper was outside and then everything froze up solid and it hasn't warmed up yet.

I finally get to use the thing on a job and it won't start. The ignition turns and the starter solenoid clicks but it won't turn over the starter.

So I jump the solenoid, and the starter motor cranks strong (good battery) but the engine never turns over.

I put an inline spark tester on the spark plug and I'm not getting spark.

I'm thinking this is a Murphy switch issue but I'm not sure. The switch was frozen to the point where it wouldn't push in until a lot of force was applied but now it's moving freely.

My questions:
would the Murphy switch keep the ignition switch from turning over the starter motor? Or do I have a bad ignition?

The rain either corroded something or fried something electrical.

What other safety switches can I check?

Previous owners were a township that kept it in a heated garage all its life and never had a starting problem

any help is appreciated,

Thank you

Back