• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 96" milling bar (purchased one!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808fish

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Aloha,

I'm looking to buy a cannon 96" double ended bar with a stihl mount. If you have one in good shape and want to sell, please let me know.

I want to use it with dual 090's on some really wide logs.

I would also be interested in other brands that are similar size. I already have a 72" .

Thank you

I would hate to see the flex in that bar. I sent Bill some two man bow rails years back. He could not remake them but he treated with very well. I have the upmost respect for their work

I cannot imagine trying to mill a log that takes a 120" bar. Unless a gentleman is trying to cut a full width slab that would be alog of enormous proportions

Thank you all for the info. I'll have to check them out. Occasionally we get some really wide monkeypod here. Pretty stuff.

I'm still looking for a second hand milling bar. Just wondering, has anyone here used the 87" GB double ended bar? How does it stack up quality wise to a cannon? Thank you

I have no milling experience with either bar but can tell you from regular cutting that the Cannon is likely stiffer due to more metal as they have way more belly. Given a choice I would go Cannon or have Bill at Chain Bar Repair, in Portland, make one.

I have no milling experience with either bar but can tell you from regular cutting that the Cannon is likely stiffer due to more metal as they have way more belly. Given a choice I would go Cannon or have Bill at Chain Bar Repair, in Portland, make one.

Thanks for the advice. I've only used cannon and I'm a big fan. The GB is tempting with the price, but if it's thinner, it wouldn't hold up as nice through 65"+ wide cuts. No point getting it, if I'll get sloppy cuts . I'll have to check out CBR. People on here seem to be big fans.
Thank you

Thank you all for the help.

Bill at CBR was able to fabricate one for me and it is shipping out today.

Can't wait to see it and see how it compares to my other bars. I'm sure it'll blow them away!

Will let you know how it performs in some 75"++ wide logs

Thank you
(This is some 62" wide ones from this week)
image.jpeg

Bill does excellent work. He is looking at possible retirement though and know there is no body who does bar work like he does around anymore. we are loosing a lot of the old saw shops and with them, a ton of knowledge. hopefully some youngerrands folks can learn the trade and take over as there is plenty of work in that trade to make a living at.

oh, wow. I didn't realize that he's thinking about retiring. I feel extra lucky to get a 96" monster bar from him. He was excellent to deal with. Will have to order some more soon.

That would be great to have a section for the next generation. Here in Hawaii, there are zero true chainsaw/mill shops. There are a few wood legends and they share their information freely and really want to pass it on. There just isn't many going in that direction.
By far, the majority of my info has come from this forum. It's been an essential tool. It would be a shame to see so many lifetimes of knowledge disappear.

Latest posts

Back