• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 96" milling bar (purchased one!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you keep them from cupping and cracking?

They will get some cracks, but to minimize them, I ratchet strap around them at the ends and keep them on all the way until they're almost dry. Lessens the end cracks from spreading. Flipping them occasionally helps with cupping. Letting them air dry a few months slowly before kiln drying helps too. They lose so much moisture in the beginning, so doesn't shock them as much as throwing in a kiln right away. They get sealed on the ends with paint or anchor seal. When stacking , making sure the stickers go across the full width and are all lined up vertically with each other and the base is level and even keeps consistant pressure. Also, I ratchet strap around the whole stack with 3-4 straps.

These slabs weigh 300-400 lbs each, so when stacked 8-10 slabs high, that weight really pins them in place.

I know that was a mouthful, but hope it helps. It's a bit of effort, but slabs that size go for pretty good $$

Latest posts

Back