99cc BEAST

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta keep my dreams a little closer to reality ya know. By the by, have you had any time in that big skil gear reducer yet?

P.S. Dang it, I had forgotten, now I gotta add an Echo 1100/1200 to the bucket list too.

Haven't touched the Skil yet. It's on the restore list.
But you know, So many saws and so little time.
Trying to get the yellow and red saws done an out
of the way. Then i will attempt a saw of a different
animal.

Lee

any close up pics of that saw ? it sure looks nice in the video ,i wanna restore my old homelight like that someday

Hoss, Leeha, Wendell, and the rest of the guilty parties: You guys are such an inspiration and nemesis at the same time. One of the things that is so much fun about a GTG is that all kinds of people, some that you have never met say "here try this one" and hand you a saw that is worth a lot of money or at least has a great deal of time and loving effort tied up in it, and let you have at a big piece of wood. I was going to bid on a 166 on ebay, but it went for more than a trip to Italy. Mark H is the guilty one in getting me started in this quest for the big and bad, with his 125, and others who will not be named to protect the guilty have stoked it. I made a modest step when I picked of a 056 Magll a couple of weeks ago. The bar has arrived and the chain is on the way. I think it will be pretty snorty, but as I have found there is a whole world out there that I'm just getting exposed to. JR

Thanks Chris, that was great, only question that remains is what does that port actually do? Seems like it makes a big difference, but how. JR

Last edited:
ditto!!!

This is the saw Mark had at Iowa. It is on my short list. :clap:

You were smiling after this run, I remember that. Of course everyone wanted a turn with it and they were all smiling as well.

attachment.php

Mine is not a boost port saw, just to set that straight. I have run boost port models though and to tell you the truth I have not seen any really noticable difference in them compared to the regular Pro model. Maybe in the really bigger wood with longer bars they would have a bigger advantage. Jerry tells me that is the way it is also.

Chris was over a short time back and we put his BP saw back together after the tank divider repair. That was the first time I had seen one apart and it was shown to be a well designed saw. (all except that tank divider)

attachment.php

As for the Homelite Super 650, that is also a strong, strong saw. We ran one that day we were comparing some 6 cube saws and to tell the truth, the 650 was right in there with my 655pro. It might have even been ahead but it was only wearing a 24" bar so it was hard to tell for sure.

The biggest dog of the 6 cubes that day was my Poulan 6000/Dolmar152 but it was wearing a hardnose with .404 semi chisel on it, so it wasnt a real fair comparison.

Last edited:
And you were so happy with your 6401. :msp_biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, it is still my go to saw, but there is something about grabbing hold of some of these boss hog saws, (your 166 for example) that has to be experienced, cause it can't be explained. JR

You were smiling after this run, I remember that. Of course everyone wanted a turn with it and they were all smiling as well.

attachment.php

Mine is not a boost port saw, just to set that straight. I have run boost port models though and to tell you the truth I have not seen any really noticable difference in them compared to the regular Pro model. Maybe in the really bigger wood with longer bars they would have a bigger advantage. Jerry tells me that is the way it is also.

Chris was over a short time back and we put his BP saw back together after the tank divider repair. That was the first time I had seen one apart and it was shown to be a well designed saw. (all except that tank divider)

attachment.php

As for the Homelite Super 650, that is also a strong, strong saw. We ran one that day we were comparing some 6 cube saws and to tell the truth, the 650 was right in there with my 655pro. It might have even been ahead but it was only wearing a 24" bar so it was hard to tell for sure.

The biggest dog of the 6 cubes that day was my Poulan 6000/Dolmar152 but it was wearing a hardnose with .404 semi chisel on it, so it wasnt a real fair comparison.

Yeah, that's the one. Sorry Mark, I forgot the number, but I sure as heck didn't forget the saw, it was a real surprise. I think that I, like a lot of people, have been lured into thinking of the Poulan's as the ones we get now, and never knew what a great saw they were. I have a little 4218 that I really like and use a lot for limbing and such, but that 655 sure opened my eyes. Thanks again for letting me try it. One of the many GTG highlights was getting to meet you and put a face to the name. JR

Nice pics Mark. I have sold my 655Pro now, so I cant compare directly anymore and in the stuff I have cut with both they were very close in speed, but the BP just felt like it was doin it a bit easier or that it had a little extra oomph (enough that I could feel it anyway). You are probably right that it wouldnt be as obvious until the wood got pretty big.
i will have to do a head to head with this most recent 650 Homie which ought to be interesting as it is the strongest 650 I have ever felt.

Latest posts

Back