A big oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.finn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got a call from a friend who had a lot cleared. There was a monster oak that was on the ground. Measured about 25-30 ft long, probably close to 3 ft across at the bottom. I had to slab it in half to split it, then cut the half rounds into 16" pieces, then split/noodle those into pieces to get into the truck. Didn't think I would need the mini excavator to load it, boy was I wrong!! Used the 372 and 385 w 24" to take care of it. Last pic is loaded up, not full. Went back a few days later for the top section and some other stragglers

Attachments

• 768.JPG
    768.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 774.JPG
    774.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 776.JPG
    776.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 276
We cut a 40" burr oak today. Landowner pulled it from the creek bottom to a flat open area for us with his tractor. He asked that we remove some low hanging branches from another oak tree also. Win-win for us, more oak. We got it cut up, noodled,and hauled home in 3 hours. I love the easy ones.

The rounds would have been too big to move around manually, even to stand up. Plus the way it was sitting was perfect to halve, up off the ground for clean cuts(no dirt). Plus I got a lot of chainsaw time.

The rounds would have been too big to move around manually, even to stand up. Plus the way it was sitting was perfect to halve, up off the ground for clean cuts(no dirt). Plus I got a lot of chainsaw time.
Quarter sawn Oak! Someone may have wanted a few boards. Premium wood to the right people. If not it will dry down and be great firewood.

Quarter sawn Oak! Someone may have wanted a few boards. Premium wood to the right people. If not it will dry down and be great firewood.
Th tree was so old it had a bunch of defects in it. The bottom 7 feet or so was rotted, that I cut off. I thought about the boards but it needed to be gone quick. Anyway I will likely wind up with around a cord out of it.

I did the same thing with a big elm log once. Then I thought, why not noodle 20" of the exposed end, cut off at firewood length, and repeat until you reach the end of the log? I did that on a big walnut stump that had fallen over and I'll be doing that on a big white oak that fell near my house.

Thinking back, I could have cut it into 16" rounds and noodled/split them but The only reason I did it this way was to run chainsaws. The 385 has been resting too long, needed a workout.

Got a call from a friend who had a lot cleared. There was a monster oak that was on the ground. Measured about 25-30 ft long, probably close to 3 ft across at the bottom. I had to slab it in half to split it, then cut the half rounds into 16" pieces, then split/noodle those into pieces to get into the truck. Didn't think I would need the mini excavator to load it, boy was I wrong!! Used the 372 and 385 w 24" to take care of it. Last pic is loaded up, not full. Went back a few days later for the top section and some other stragglers

We cut a 40" burr oak today. Landowner pulled it from the creek bottom to a flat open area for us with his tractor. He asked that we remove some low hanging branches from another oak tree also. Win-win for us, more oak. We got it cut up, noodled,and hauled home in 3 hours. I love the easy ones.

Damn!!!

Awesome scores guys!!!!

Latest posts

Back