A bit stupid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I layed down a big one, around 30-36" dbh (haven't measured it yet). Bad leaner so I chained it. Tried to aim it to one side of my brush pile. The lean overode my technique an put it dead center of the brush pile. Pile was 10ft tall and about 15' around. Smashed it down to about 6'.

Cleaned up the top down to the brush pile leaving about 15' of log laying on the pile. Figured just climb up there and cut it up. Worked fine but rather slow as having to feel for good footing to shift for each cut. Got down to the far end and tried to position for one more roung.

Stepped on a solid chunk but there was nothing under it. Stuck my right leg down to the hip leaving me with a running chainsaw at eye level. Fortunately my saws are set for no chain rotation but I hit the 'kill' and tossed the saw out of the way.

Left me with right leg all the way buried. Left curled up on top of the pile and I am leaning off the edge of the pile. Not a thing I can reach to pull up with. Lots of wriggling around finally got me back verticle and managed to get out of the trap. Took a few minutes and thoughts of "dayum, I'm glad I put that cell phone on my belt".

I don't think that is the stupidesst thing I have done. If I can find the pic of me cutting branches off a big tree to unbalance it prior to falling itI will post it and you can throw stuff at me.

Harry K

Important thing is you were ok!! wife always wonders why I need a mobil phone when I take the saw out, surely you can't here anything with a saw running she says!!!!:confused: :censored: . IMHO most important first aid piece of kit we can all carry.... when there is a signal.

Steven

Who you going to call?

The first thing that came to mind was,

Who you going to call? GHOST BUSTERS?:biggrinbounce2:

Glad your ok and if your going to have a cell, this was the time huh?

Shipper

The first thing that came to mind was,

Who you going to call? GHOST BUSTERS?:biggrinbounce2:

Glad your ok and if your going to have a cell, this was the time huh?

Shipper

Damn, can't get that tune out of my head now!!!! :rockn:

Important thing is you were ok!! wife always wonders why I need a mobil phone when I take the saw out, surely you can't here anything with a saw running she says!!!!:confused: :censored: . IMHO most important first aid piece of kit we can all carry.... when there is a signal.

Steven

Ah yies, that wonderful cell phone. Last Monday I was out to the wood lot, takes a 1/4 mile drive out through a stubble field and tall grass. Got out there, stepped out and hear Hsssss by a tire. "not out here!", back in the truck and beat feet for the main highway hoping to get back to the house before it was totally flat. No luck. Made 5 miles. Side of road and call AAA.

Got through the 'who are you, what's your number, etc' then the "how can we assist you' All I got out after that was "HELP!" and the wonderful CP went dead - no charge. Long story that went on all day before I had the truck back home with my studded snow tire on it. The tire shop had torqued the lug nuts to the point I couldn't budge any one of them, even the tow truck driver had trouble doing it with a good socket and a breaker bar.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back