A bunch of Fallen Dirty wood, Saw choice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuerX

constantly confused
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to clear up an area of my property that has a bunch of fallen trees left over from Hurricane Sandy.

Mostly tulip poplar, Pine and fir.

By now its dirty wood on the ground and will most likely take a toll on a saw, So......

Use a almost brand new 455 Rancher or buy a Poulan Pro PP5020AV for around $200 and use that for the reminder of the summer to finish the job?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Eric

Use what you got and get some extra semi chisel chains. I don't understand why you'd buy another cheap saw to use?

I guess I was not clear enough, Sorry.

I like having the 455 Rancher around for felling duties, It cost me twice the amount that a Poulan Pro PP5020AV would so I thought it might make sense to buy a Poulan for the "Dirty Work"

I hope I make sense.

Ah I see now. I don't see that as a good financial point. I use my $1k saws for stumping and everything. If you don't have a backup saw then maybe since it's blow down stuff you're bound to get pinched a time or two. Wedges will be your friend. It will be easier to saw yourself out with a saw then to beat it with wedges or cutting it with an axe or handsaw.

Oh, and I recomend a 555 or a 390 or a 550xp or a ms441 or ms461 or whatever you want to buy....

I agree with the logic of having a second saw, I've needed to cut my saw free more than I'd like to admit. However, without knowing all you have for a setup, I'd think you'd be ahead financially if you followed the advice of buy a few wedges and semi-chisel chain. There's no reason to protect the powerhead - the chain and the bar are whats going to take the beating by dirty wood. My guess is that your 455 wears a 20inch bar - you may want to think about getting a 18 or 16 inch bar and chain to give you some options with the 455. Plus if your saw gets stuck, you can pull the powerhead and put on the other bar and chain to free it up.

get a couple more saws..... you know you want to...if you get the pp5020 AV stuck DONT pull hard on the handle they are not as tough as your rancher (weaker handle) :)

I was thinking a ported 441c would be nice but I've been using a 461 recently, I am now a big fan, needs porting though :)

Our guys over the years have been involved in cutting large amounts of scruffy through to really naff wood. I can not remember it having any more adverse effect on the saw motor than normal ( chains, bars,& sprockets had more wear than ordinary cutting) so I do not think you should have problems caused by the wood conditions to the saw mechanics. IMO if another saw is your aim, maybe a used pro saw would be more useful,if you have a good amount of cutting to do. But at the days end you are the guy & it is for you to decide whatever is the most comfortable for you.

Yeah go for the poulan.bars and chains should switch out with your 455 also.Just make sure you tune it when you pull it out of the Box.Chances are it will be Lean.

Yeah go for the poulan.bars and chains should switch out with your 455 also.Just make sure you tune it when you pull it out of the Box.Chances are it will be Lean.

If so, you'll need the special internally-splined carb adjusting tool. Availability declining, price rising. Order yesterday. Got mine before the lock.

If possible, axe away the loose bark and broom the log off first. Helps a lot with the dirt and grime.

This is about the cheapest time of year for used saws**, you should be able to find a good backup anything for like fifty bucks or so.

***Joe home renters have found their mower doesn't work, so they will sell the saw to help fund a mower (or other yard sale junk) they need right now..stuff like that.

I'm getting ready to clear up an area of my property that has a bunch of fallen trees left over from Hurricane Sandy.

Mostly tulip poplar, Pine and fir.

By now its dirty wood on the ground and will most likely take a toll on a saw, So......

Use a almost brand new 455 Rancher or buy a Poulan Pro PP5020AV for around $200 and use that for the reminder of the summer to finish the job?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Eric

Big piles of dirty wood don't require a cheap saw. Use what you have, clean the air filter regularly, run semi-chisel and file when it just starts to dull, and figure a new bar may be needed at the end of the project. Keep an axe and wedges handy and have a peavey on hand.

Back