A couple o hacks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyq

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Saw a couple fellas doing some "Tree work" yesterday when I was working a half a block away, one was about 10 feet up in a tree above his 15 foot extension ladder that was leaned against the trunk, no signs of a rope at all while his brush dragging grunt was pulling branches to the pickup. I thought they were removing the trees and figured they would get done in their own way and be gone soon enough, I returned the next day to see these two (insert expletive here) "trees" left in the lawn, I pulled over long enough to snap a couple shots and they speak for themselves. These guys had no PPE, an unrestrained extension ladder, a hand saw and two old, beat up pick ups (Chevys just for the record ;) no idea what they got paid for what they did. I was down the street, removed a handful of branches 2" or so and lightly thinned a Gleditsia, removed a handfull of branches from a red sunset maple and took a small load to the green waste dump ($5) took me maybe 2 hours with a handsaw and pole pruner (from the ground of course), customer was happy with results and happy to pay $150. Who got a better deal? I dunno, but, I feel my work was done right by a professional and charged fairly although maybe a bit high ( I figure if he thought I was gouging he had ample opportunity to discuss it with me), I don't figure I hornswaggled the customer, he phoned me in the evening and I told him, hey, I quoted $150 but it didn't take me as long as I figured so I will only bill you $125, he told me no way, we said a price and he was satisfied so he was going to pay me the full amount and that was that. Anyhoo, just wanted to show these butchered wilow stumps so here goes. the other snap is the Gleditsia and th last is the Maple - just for fun.

and the 5 bucks of branches I left with. Only regret is that I didnt take the time to take a before shot on the two trees I trimmed so I could get some feedback.

Paul, Nice job on yours. The others....ugh. Hard to critique good pruning from a photo but the Maple looks as if it could have used a bit of tip thinning in the top -take that FWIW-The pic looks as if the bottom got thinned heavily and the top not BUT-in person a walk around it might seem totally different when all angles are available.:angel:

Originally posted by jimmyq
... he told me no way, we said a price and he was satisfied so he was going to pay me the full amount and that was that.

Ain't it nice working for people like that? And this just goes to show that a little honesty and fairness can go a long way. I'm sure your client will spread the word around about you.

Dunno 'bout those other guys...
aaf_shifty.gif

they did that with a hand saw, ????, tell them to buy a chain saw and they can double their butchering.

Gord: Sorry man I didn't recognize your truck, no offense. Are you taking any resumes?

Justin: with the Maple I took a few (four ) branches that were growing quite horizontal at the lower area, I didnt touch the upper at all ( figured it wasn't too bad so it could wait a year or two). In a couple years I will go back and do a thinning at the upper area of both if they need it.

Where are those willows specifically Jimmy?

Why is it that hacks so often leave just one or two sprouts or stubs on a hack job like that? You wonder if they are blind and cutting be feel or something. I mean it seems that they are utterly devoid of any sort of eye for aesthetics. Kinda funny tho.

I have seen a bunch of trees like that around here. However they aren't that size too often. Usually they are big trees. There is a BIG ash trunk standing over in Mahopac maybe 20 - 25 feet tall. Another place up the same road has a descent sized sugar maple trunk... about the same height just standing there. The maple has been like that for maybe 2 or 3 years now? The ash has been like that for as long as I can remember.

Gord: Out in Langley, near the hospital, behind Cruisers diner if you know the area. Near 216th and about 57 ave.

That type of topping is common around here on poplars. I've seen guys spur up about 50' or so flop the top and come on down and just leave a spar! they sprout out some in the spring but its a sorry sight when they do manage to "live" through it.

Re: Re: A couple o hacks

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
. I'm sure your client will spread the word around about you.
If you want to spread the word(s) more aggressively, consider investing $20. on 100 of these:
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/topping.asp

Distributed to the neighbors of the willow owners, they will alert them to the willows' condition, and make them want to keep an eye on them as they sprout back, and rot.:angry:

I hand these brochures out to owners of big crepe myrtles. An educated tree owner is the best customer.

Hey Guy, those brouchures are pretty slick, I ordered a bunch when I had an elderly man wanting a bunch of his Silver Maples re-topped. What a mess of lion tails!!! Unfortuneatly alot of the older customers still think that topping trees is the only way to reduce height. Its up to us to educate them and save the urban landscape. I did finally sell him on a crown restoration and a cambistat application.

I guess on the bright side, if there is one, conserning those willows, at least they didnt peel a nice foot long strip of bark down the side of those spars. A few of the guys from my Grandmothers Church did that to her trees about 10 years ago thinking they were doing a good deed for the widow, Sheesh, I havent been to church since.

The thing with those willows it that they will grow back and as one customer I have from Switzerland put it. "They look like toilet brushes. And not new toilet brushes either!"

Kenn:Monkey:

We have in island near here and willows are aboundant there. That type of topping goes on alot. The trees get very large and start catching wind and making messes. The homeowners do not want the tree removed because they suck up a tremendous amount of water from their low-lying yards. So every couple of years, they have them topped.

Latest posts

Back