A cutting we will go........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davej_07

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend of my Dads has a place not too far from me. He let me clean out the deadfall and blow-downs from last year in exchange for making sure the trails are clear. Hey, any excuse to get out with the saws, right?:greenchainsaw:

So we spend last Monday out there clearing the trails and looking for the stuff we wanted to take out. Today we dropped 3 dead standing oaks and a blown-ever Cherry. This was the closest to actual logging as Ive ever done LOL

We used a 3/4" logging rope and a John Deere Gator to skid the logs to the trails so we could get them to a manageable length. Dad ran the Gator and I played Rigger. All in all it was a good day, until Dad got smashed in the mouth by a 2" thick piece of gravevine that uncoiled as he cut thru it. :jawdrop:

The pic is the two loads we have brought home so far, I figure theres 3 more loads out there ready to go. At least I can play with the splitter now:)

woodpile.jpg

I hope he pic works.

Dave

what type of wood is th elog with the axe on top of it? Does it smell weird?
thanks

Cherry, no weird smell that I know of. Actually, thats the handle from my hatchet. The bastard decided to break off as I was driving in a wedge. Im goiong back tomorrow for the rest of the wood.....I love the smell of chain oil in the morning.....

Dave

Hope your Dad is ok. My Dad got tagged in the mouth last year by a cedar spring pole - he thought he knew where the tension was but it surprised him and knocked out a front tooth and cracked a few others, broke his upper jaw too.

Easy to forget the danger of the smaller stuff while we focus on the target tree - hard truth is that spring poles can kill you. Remember, a billy club is small, but wielded with sufficient force it can break your skull.

I got the rest of the Oak today. I'll post pics when im splitting and stacking. I have a load of Aspen that I have to still pick up. I really didnt want to take it but if I didnt I probably wouldnt have the chance to get the good stuff.

Dave

Latest posts

Back