A disappointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dengel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I went to my local Stihl dealer to try and buy parts for my 024S rebuild project this afternoon. I've been there a few times before on weekends to get parts and dealt with the old man that had opened the shop originally. Super nice guy that loves to keep old machines working. He had warned me that his daughter who works during the week has zero interest is working on and supporting "old saws". I began to give her my list- fuel line and filter, carb kit, crank seals- and she stops me there. Tells me that she doesn't have those parts in stock and will have to order them in. No big deal I thought, until she says she can't make an order from Stihl that's under $5K. Tells me to go to the internet. Ok, I was doing that originally, but thought I would try to support a local shop. Then I mentioned the rest of my list- piston rings and base gasket- and she tells me that it's not worth spending $150 on a saw that's worth $25! I was shocked! Is this the way things are going nowadays? You try and support a local shop, and they basically tell you to F off?

So I went to my local Stihl dealer to try and buy parts for my 024S rebuild project this afternoon. I've been there a few times before on weekends to get parts and dealt with the old man that had opened the shop originally. Super nice guy that loves to keep old machines working. He had warned me that his daughter who works during the week has zero interest is working on and supporting "old saws". I began to give her my list- fuel line and filter, carb kit, crank seals- and she stops me there. Tells me that she doesn't have those parts in stock and will have to order them in. No big deal I thought, until she says she can't make an order from Stihl that's under $5K. Tells me to go to the internet. Ok, I was doing that originally, but thought I would try to support a local shop. Then I mentioned the rest of my list- piston rings and base gasket- and she tells me that it's not worth spending $150 on a saw that's worth $25! I was shocked! Is this the way things are going nowadays? You try and support a local shop, and they basically tell you to F off?
Want me to look and see if I have a new OEM piston here not sure but I could look?

I'd guess she's trying to be helpful. Chances are that's what she'd pay for your saw, $25. She probably figures her free time behind the counter is better spent taking selfies, and oddly it probably is worth more than your business: Lots of guys will "follow" "Saw Shop Baby" on social media and the ad revenue will make her a killing. She'll marry some rich wallet who thinks he's landing a successful business woman with values, and when she's bored she'll leave him for a better catch, telling New Guy how horrible her marriage was and what a Saint she is for staying so long. (She'll dump him next.)

After her looks fade and she's doomed to a string of gutless-wonderoo simps she'll realize she's all she needs in life (and drink herself to a bitter death).

True story.

That's definitely a disappointment to be sure and I'm sorry to hear that was your experience. I've found that most good saw and equipment shops have closed doors and what's left out there is a bunch of people who treat customers as a nuisance. It's unfortunate but increasingly common. A lot of the folks just don't even want to be there.

It's not just parts for older equipment-even new saw sales can be depressing. I wound up driving hours just to go to a saw shop run by an enthusiast when I needed to buy a new Husky. The kind of place where they would be excited if you brought in a clean 024 Super instead of express irritation.

In the car world selling parts and service for older vehicles makes up a substantial portion of revenue. However, things are very different in the power equipment world. There's many reasons at play, but all we can do is try to seek out and support the saw shops staffed by great people and ensure they keep their doors open.

@trains will tell you all about poor dealer support, it’s cheaper, quicker, easier and he doesn’t get an ear full like he does from his shop for me to order it in WA and send it to him in SA than it is to order it from his local dealer down the road. Sorry to hear of your experience, though the owner did warn you not to go to her for parts, now you know why haha

leave reviews online, It takes a village sometimes...hell car parts are no longer repaired just removed and thrown away being designed to last just long enough you forget when you purchased them..usually less than 2 years for am and 8 for oem

It's absolutely sickening!

Luckily none of the dealers around here have that attitude. Sometimes I go in for just a $5 part and then joke "big deal of the day", and they just smile or laugh. They know you will keep coming back and all the sales add up.
If someone told me that a Stihl 024 that needed a few parts was worth $25 I'd say to them, okay, now let me talk to somebody who knows what they're doing.
Her attitude brings to mind the lyrics of the song " if you want to be happy for the rest of your life".

Latest posts

Back