A dying breed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle ran a barbershop for 40 years,in the same building as a tavern. I practically lived there as a kid. There was always a poker game going on, and every man smoked and drank. I miss it still when I think about it.
I don't know about your place, but his place was hot towels, hot lather, and when you were all done a good slap of witch hazel on the neck.
He taught me to cut wood at the age of 12. He made me read the saw manual twice and then in the woods we went. I've had wood chips in my boots ever since!

I miss real trucks. Metal dash, Granny low 4 speed, lock out hubs, bench seats, gun rack, I hate plastic dashes, airbags, fuel injection, Lowes and Friggin Home Depot.

Exactly. Lowes and Home Depot are the worst shops ever. I grew up on a farm in a town of 1000 and I remember my grandpa would always take me into town with him. He owned all J.D. equipment(except an old IH tractor) he would always go to this small machine shop in town and they would do everything they could to make his parts as quick as possible since the nearest J.D. dealer was 90 minutes away, plus the time it took for them to order it. It's service like that that is lacking in stores today. There still is a hardware store that I go to down there, whenever I'm visiting my parents, and like you other guys said, they're nice and know exactly what their talking about. They don't make something up just so you buy it like they do at Lowes and Home Depot. Sadly to say that town is now getting its first Wal-Mart :censored:. Still no Lowes or Home Depot though which is always a good sign. Evan

The saw dust covered floor of the butcher shop (now a days it's hard to find a butcher shop). My dad and I would go in and I always got a hot dog to chew on from the butcher.

"A reminder of the past" is a good thread.

:blob2: Wooowzeer! You hit one of my favorite memories smack on!

My Mom and I would walk to the butcher shop. Floor covered with sawdust, and I also received a hot dog. I think it was to keep me quite while Mom and the butcher gabbed some. The butcher's name was Clara. I can hear her voice while I'm writing this........

Such a small memory, but, oh how the small ones comfort me at times.

The old cattle auction is something I will always remeber to. Big brass spitones in the corners. And the best hamburgers in the world.

the thing I miss the most is when you could walk in a parts or hardware store and get what you needed the first time around and you knew it was right item because the guy working there also worked on what ever it was that you where working on so he knew his parts, now a days if it ain't in that computer they you ain't getting it unless you got the part number and then it still might not be right.

one more thing, the old flea markets where people sold their stuff as individuals, not as a dealer of some type, might as well got to wal-mart.

the thing I miss the most is when you could walk in a parts or hardware store and get what you needed the first time around and you knew it was right item because the guy working there also worked on what ever it was that you where working on so he knew his parts, now a days if it ain't in that computer they you ain't getting it unless you got the part number and then it still might not be right.

one more thing, the old flea markets where people sold their stuff as individuals, not as a dealer of some type, might as well got to wal-mart.

You got that part about the partsman/harware store right on the money! and when I was in the Navy, my barber used that straight razor and warm shaving cream,,,,,,,, oh the good old days!:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back