A fine day for firewooding with 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
With such a beautiful day, I just had to get out into somebodies woods to cut for next season, and besides using my favorite firewood saw, the 028WB, the landowner lent me his JD430 tractor to make the job more fun and definately easier. This woodlot contains oak and cherry, and a number of potential csm logs of each.

Firewoodcuttingwith028Feb2008003Sma.jpg

Firewoodcuttingwith028Feb2008005Sma.jpg

Firewoodcuttingwith028Feb2008007Sma.jpg

That long log buried in the back, a white oak, recent fall over, 30"+ dia, and nearly 30' to first limb, it'll make some nice lumber, but it'll be a long day.

Firewoodcuttingwith028Feb2008006Sma.jpg

Firewoodcuttingwith028Feb2008008Sma.jpg

Only three rows of wood in a short box.:chainsaw: so I had to go up, a fourth row of rounds might have made the front of the truck a little too light though, I may test that theory next weekend.

Thanks Gordie, for the xp image resize tools.

Last edited:
Nice load of wood and sounds like you're having a great day!

I am stuck in the office today so will have to live vicariously through posts here on the site. :D

Good job, Wdchuck, and nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Have you noticed how much better the power steering works in your truck when the bed is filled with firewood? :)

Looks like you had a good day in the woods, we all need that every once in awhile.... We are working on next years wood also... Looks like your getting a good head start... Stay Safe !!!

Nice day. I wanted to get out myself but it was just too warm. Saturday was perfect but it snowed, now it's melting off and it's too soft out there.
Looks like mud season is coming. :chainsaw:

I have the same saw. I love it too? How long have you had it? I think I bought mine in 86! I put a 20 inch bar on it. :chainsaw:

Logsplitter, yep, steering was sooo easy, especially after hitting a good dip in the road.:)

Michigander, I've had that saw maybe two years now, anything longer than that short version of 16" and it would be too much in my opinion. However, it was being temperamental on cold starts, and upon checking the saw over, the hoses on the carb were fitting just a tad too loose, so it'll be getting some new ones and a carb kit to put in some fresh gaskets.

I'd like to try an 038magII, since they share characteristics, bet it's twice the fun.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

The landowner has white oak, 20" or so, that he wants down, I'm looking forward to milling the first 30' of it, then making some proper sides for my truck.

Last edited:
nice day there huh wdchuck?! Nothing like getting out in the woods and cleaning up deadfalls. Just yesterday, in the near zero temps, I topped a recently felled maple,32 inches in diameter, at a freinds rental property. He is bringing me the 1st 10 feet to mill on his tiltbed! I got to run my P51 and the P40 in big wood. The interesting thing is the 66cc P40 running a 24 inch bar cut nearly or as fast as the 82cc P51 also running a 24 inch bar. I was a little surprised that my favorite firewood saw was that impressive!

Nice pics!

Last edited:
I tried to get my OLD 028 WB out the other day, but she just would not get going. Kept bogging and whining. I think its time for a total teardown and all new gaskets, etc.

Mine is the original WB, no electronic ignition, chain brake, made in West Germany, etc.

Keep them old saws runnin good guys

Going back out there tomorrow, man its going to be hot for cutting, over 35*F. Put the new fuel lines on, filter, and carb kit, runs fine in the wood, but let off the throttle and it dies, have to hold the throttle in when restarting it.

Time to do some searching tonight. :chainsaw:

Another fine load saturday, 028 still giving me fits, despite the new parts, will have to play with it to figure this out.

Bonus of the day though, the neighbor of this place, gave me permission to cut too, and on his 20acre(virgin) oak parcel. Checked it out, oh man, beautiful trees, oak wilt will kill the trees quicker than I do. Trees are big, tall, no limbs for 40'+ average, some higher. Red/white oak, some cherry. I'll need to rent a skidsteer or kanga to get in/out with the wood, and my csm will be very busy, one trunk will take two days of milling in place.

There's plenty of wood that's down already, so I'll be able to work on that for a long time, even sell a couple cords to cover my costs, that'd be nice. Might need a bigger saw though.:greenchainsaw:

Read you post ealier in the week and had to go to work all week. I could not wait to get out and cut some wood, but snowed a bunch here in PA. I tried yesterday, the snow was just too deep.
:mad:

Another fine load saturday, 028 still giving me fits, despite the new parts, will have to play with it to figure this out.

Bonus of the day though, the neighbor of this place, gave me permission to cut too, and on his 20acre(virgin) oak parcel. Checked it out, oh man, beautiful trees, oak wilt will kill the trees quicker than I do. Trees are big, tall, no limbs for 40'+ average, some higher. Red/white oak, some cherry. I'll need to rent a skidsteer or kanga to get in/out with the wood, and my csm will be very busy, one trunk will take two days of milling in place.

There's plenty of wood that's down already, so I'll be able to work on that for a long time, even sell a couple cords to cover my costs, that'd be nice. Might need a bigger saw though.:greenchainsaw:

nice score! Maybe you can sell enough to cover a new saw!

Fiddled with the 028 some more today, turned in the LA, L, H, all the way to a soft stop, the backed out the L & H one turn, started it up, and started backing out the LA until the chain slowed down to an intermittent movement, then Lscrew to 1-1/8th out so it would stay running smooth, then the LA out a little more to stop the chain from creeping at all. Some throttle pops in the shop, then out to some 'too long' rounds in the stack, good saw tuning pieces, and it did well, a little sluggish on the rpm rev, but acceptable, had to turn out the H screw to 1-1/8+ then it was running as good as I(noob) think it can.

I'm looking forward to a 5100, just because these class saws fit me so well, and cutting for 3hours with a 460 really gets me to point of fatigue that becomes unsafe, then my recourse is the WT(vibrator from hell).

Really, what I need more though, is a tandem axle trailer with brakes, so I can bring home a decent load of wood in one trip, or some saw logs, and this woodlot may be just the ticket to having a few cords of oak that I can sell in 2009(seasoned) to get a trailer. The U-haul in town, $16 for an open bed trailer rental, might be a more economical option until I can buy my own.

One thought I had, since this guy is older, who gets the land on his death, how do I maintain my access if that happens, kind of selfish on my part, but its realistic if you think about it objectively.

These posts of mine are getting long winded, huh?:cheers:

Latest posts

Back