A fun one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Any ideas on getting this down? Even IF the HO and the HOs neighbor said just cut it free n see what happens I am concerned that the tree that's appears to be holding the big one up will barber chair with some big time authority. I could get a crane to it if that's really the only safe way. Would have to take a fence post out and cut down 6 or so smaller trees. If using a crane I am still wondering about that bent over tree. Maybe lift the big one up slow then cut pieces n let em fall? I don't have the job yet n not sure I even want it. The HO went to Florida when the lights went out. I gotta call him n tell him what I think. Any ideas? I am sure many here will say it looks like a piece of cake. Maybe it is but all I see is that bent over tree causing grief.
resymyza.jpg
e8u2egaz.jpg
tu9ura4y.jpg
yjamy2yp.jpg

What's underneath it? Anything of value?
It's hard to get a perspective from the photos. It looks like the root ball of the first tree is still in the ground for the most part. It most of had some strong winds behind it besides the weight of the tree to bend the other tree like that. Now that things have settled down, I think I would shoot a line over it and see how it reacts to me pulling on it some. If wedged in there pretty good, you could access it throu another tree or walk up the leaner and secure it to the tree its leaning on and anything else you can rope it to so its more secure. Then start by lightening it up, cutting everything on the other side of where its secured, removing as much weight as possible. Then see what it does.
This is just speculation Ace, it easy being a keyboard climber, but if you then ran some bull-line from where you had the two trees secure down to the ground at an angle and back some, so it would turn it as it came down, (you might have to remove another tree or two) then wrap the tree that is under tension with some strapping and and carefully cut it. I don't know if this is possible with out being crushed or not from the picture;) but my thinking is it wasn't just the weight of the tree that put all that strain on the bending tree, but had help from strong winds, Removing as much weight as you could and if it still has roots in the ground the forces are minimized some.
Again if the over hang weight was removed(big if)you'd might be able to winch it to the side so the big tree would slide down the one its leaning on as you side cut it.(setting a pulley up high in a other tree.)
That bent tree could be like a mouse trap ready to spring, doing all kinds of nasty things, but those forces shouldn't be as strong at the base.
Without being there to see and feel all the veritables involved its almost impossible to come up with a safe solution, but if there isn't anything that can't be sacrificed or moved under it , there are options. If there are valuable targets under it, a crane maybe the only way. Snags are unpredictable and dangerous. I'd be tempted to just start cutting the big tree slowly at the base and see if it would all come crashing down.
Them are the kind of trees that kill you, if your not comfortable, don't do it. And take any advice you get from the rest of us with a grain of salt, you have to be there and see what's up to be able to come up with a safe method of removal. Fly me out there and feed me, I'll help get it down with you.:msp_biggrin:

If you can get a good sized track hoe in there, you could probably just pull the root ball and all back and let the tree slide down the other one. No matter what you cut on the ground make sure you have a good clear escape route. Might be a good idea also to get in a big jlg lift so you dont have to be attached or on the tree while cutting.

I am just going to guess that the white oak? (can't see that well) is under a good amount of strain too.

I agree lash the two together then tie back and start up the big tree. Drop it from the top with care over the little building, the fence can be temporarily removed and reinstalled (owners expense for reinstall).
I would include the other trees in the way in the price of corse.

I will not say it's an easy tree, but I think once you get up there it will be easier than you see it now.

That being said I am just a "wanna be"

Beastmaster has some excellent ideas on this.

If climbing, I'd want my TIP (or points) in another tree(s). If that was not possible, hang off a crane.

Hard to tell from pictures.

If you can get a good sized track hoe in there, you could probably just pull the root ball and all back and let the tree slide down the other one.....
I was going to suggest he call a good logger in the area and have them pull it with the skidder. Assuming you can miss that shed, I suspect the cost of cleaning up that mess is going to be less than the cost of "doing it gently". Of course, if there is anything of significant value too close, that equation would change quickly, but it doesn't look like there is anything that would be too expensive for the homeowner to replace.

If your climbing around in there , just stay away from that white oak when your tree finally breaks loose , that tree is loaded up , man to see that thing bending like that you know the other tree has put a serious load on it , just don't get caught in that mouse trap man for sure , and I say In regards to what I can see from the pics , you have plenty of cranes around it to take it apart , I would be really surprised if that white oak straightens out .

use a power pole saw and backut that bowed over tree run like hell

thats great and all, but when that tree barber chairs and brakes completely off and comes crashing down, I hope you can run like a cheetah.

lol ya no kidding i was JK i seen a aerial arborist video where he did something similar to what i posted but all seriousness i like beast's idea alot

For that second tree to still be bent like that tells me that its the only thing holding the uprooted one up take a strong chain and binder wrap it around the bent tree several times about 4 to 5 feet up binder real tight then make a shallow face cut about two foot off the ground stand off well to the side and back cut or use said power pruner for distant back cut (lol) either way you probably wont have to cut to deep with the back cut the way that tree is loaded!!Just one way to do it but im not there so dont take my word for it!! good luck!

I just spoke with HO. He understands the situation better than I thought he would. Per my suggestion he is going to get some other bids this week and get back to me. I made sure he understood that 1.This scenario is dangerous 2. If some guy says he will cut it free for 100 bucks DO NOT let him. 3. If you find another tree service your comfortable with that offers you a fair price, higher them. And 4. I wont leave you hanging and will do the job if need be. So we will see

Not much of a climber, but I've cut a ton a nasty loaded deadfalls and snags. . .

That big leaner is going to want to roll left of the root ball. And be aware that the root ball will flop back down once she's free.

I would stay away from the support tree, the one under the most tension, all together. . .

Undercut the big leaner until she starts to pinch, then leave the hinge heavy on the shed side, I bet it will roll right off the support tree.

All assuming you are able to just bring them down.

Some thing else that maybe might work is to carefully undercut the uprooted tree about 4 ft from the base stopping just short of it comming apart, then with a redirect on a pulley, pull it apart with a bull line. Repeat.
I have often gotten snags down with that technic, but never one as big as that one. The first cut is the hardest because the strain on the tree is different close to the base, that is why I would use a rope to pull it apart at lest on the first cut(don't want to get the saw pinched in there) Might not be a bad idea to tie the piece off so it can't jump out and get you also.
after each cut the tree will get more vertical. At a certain point you have to stop and try to pull it over.
I would be carefull with the bent tree. Cutting it may bring down the big tree, but there is a good chance the smallest cut could cause it to barber chair. If you could get 10 or 15 feet of trunk wood cut off you could maybe easily pull the base out as others have suggested, but using a truck or tractor now.
I'm not saying to do this, just giving you some food for thought. Be safe and bid high.

2 cents...

...id be reluctant to trip that... from what i can see... id probably tie into a nearby tree hook over and piece it out carefully... id tune into it and study it like a hawk... having a kick out plan before every cut... id try to balance the weight on both sides as i went so it would not roll or slide out and get me... id keep my eye on that springy bastard too... might use another tree to swing some pieces out and down... main thing would be to decrease the tension on that tree supporting it... looks really dangerous loaded like that... i dont know... in a situation like this id take a little then let the tree tell me where to go next... its a moving puzzle... solve it... i know its slow... but there is a lot things that could go real bad real quick if you dont take the time to think things thru...

Latest posts

Back