a funny thing happened on my way to pick up my brand new MS661....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guy at the ace by me told me the ms261 was more expensive than the ms251 because it was bigger. Not picking on ace, but it always amazes me how little some people know about the items they are trying to sell.

I asked the guy at my local Ace if they realized all the saws on display had the chains on backwards...no one had noticed.

I'm not knocking the 660 btw. I recently sold my Dad's 066 on behalf of his estate, and I do not miss it. That saw was a beast and had plenty of power. But my 046 is all I really need.

Yep... got a little excited there in my first post. 13/64th it is. ;)

That's all that matters.

Be careful, get some chaps, wear Gloves and Glasses, and enjoy your new saw.

I still like mine, but it's been Monkeyed with.

In the Future,
Buy your bars from someone on here:
My Cousin jon1212
TLandrum

Or some of the other Barmen.

Good lord... Some of ya'll need to go back and listen to your mothers, if you don't have anything nice to say.. don't say anything at all. Talk about killing a guys new saw purchase via armchair quarterbacking. Btw OP you bought a great saw it'll do everything you need it to and will do it for years to come.

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies. A good mix like I suspected it would be.

Again, my main reason for getting the 660 is that IMHO computer electronics do not belong in a chainsaw. Nor do I think the Stihl design team wanted to put them in there. They are coping with restrictions.
The 660 is something I can eventually modify , tear down and build up and tune it and adjust it with a small screwdriver.

I'm back in NC. Gonna post some pix soon of the lumber I need to deal with and why I chose to go higher than the 44* class.

thanks all!.

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies. A good mix like I suspected it would be.

Again, my main reason for getting the 660 is that IMHO computer electronics do not belong in a chainsaw. Nor do I think the Stihl design team wanted to put them in there. They are coping with restrictions.
The 660 is something I can eventually modify , tear down and build up and tune it and adjust it with a small screwdriver.

I'm back in NC. Gonna post some pix soon of the lumber I need to deal with and why I chose to go higher than the 44* class.

thanks all!.
I have no problem with with what you said, you bought what you wanted.

However let me ask this question. Do you own a cellphone? do you rely on it or have you ever used it for an emergency?

My point is we all rely on electronic devices and there's not much we can do about it. The systems used on these saws is straight out of the 70's anyway.[emoji2]

Nevertheless enjoy the saw, and yes pictures are always welcome.[emoji6]

When you're hands start going numb, you will change your opinion.
Possibly, also it may make a difference if I was running a saw all day long. If I'm doing a tree job, even though I may spend all day on it. The actual amount of saw run time is pretty minimal on most jobs. On the majority of jobs I rarely refill a fuel tank, just keep working up to larger saws as I reduce the tree to chipper brush or firewood.

A lot of people rave about spring av. I personally don't like it. I've had a number of saws that had it and sold them all. So different strokes I guess.
I used to have a carpal tunnel nerve problem & my 660 never ever caused it to react, unlike when I would use the neighbours 361 which would give me grief instantly.
I have a few smaller home owner saws with spring AV & had a couple of problems like breaking the springs from metal fatigue where rust pitting weakened the metal thickness, plus bending the springs. When looking at the vids of 661's cutting the starter handle always seems to really vibrate & jump around noticeably more than a 660.
Thansk

Latest posts

Back