A gift??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday was warm, humid and breezy... not what I would call overly windy, just breezy.
I'd just finished a bit of grass cuttin' and the boy was buzzin' around on his little Chinese ATV... makin' loops around the big forked oak behind the machine shed. So his ATV starts sputterin' (runnin' out'a gas); he's learned what that means and heads for the shop doors for a refill. As I'm pourin' gas in the thing when I hear a loud crack, look back at the big forked oak, and...
Less than a minute before the boy was riding under it... less than 15 minutes before I was mowing under it...
The worst part is... the damn thing landed on my shooting bench‼
It's raining this morning... but when it stops I know what I'll be doing...

oak1.JPG oak2.JPG oak3.JPG

it looks as you have the luck of the Irish protecting your backside's..... now more work to keep you warm as well ! can some of that heat from cutting up the oak for next winter....? lol stay cool !

Glad to hear you and yours made it out unscathed. . . Sure wasn't much good wood keeping Mr Oak in the upright position. Did it give you any warning signs like excessive creaking? Either way, that trunk looks like a job for Mr 066 with a 25 - 28" bar.

Glad no one got hurt, keep us updated on this bad boy, I'd like to see the progress shots. Maybe even give you a reason to buy a new chainsaw.

I HATE, forked trees!!!!!! cause that's just what the damn things are good for!!! bout the only one that wont do that,,is norway maples,,as thats the way they grow...as I have two in my front yard.....

You must be living right, Spidey. Let's hope you didn't use up too many of your "nine lives". Oops, that's for cats, not spiders.

oak4.JPG oak5.JPG
...I'd like to see the progress shots.

Well... this is as good as the progress shots get.
Had to work between thunderstorms today, and had to quit when I ran out'a pre-mix... but I did get the mess cleaned up.
I'll finish the buckin' some night after work this week and do the splittin'/stackin' next weekend.
The shootin' bench took a hit though... all four legs are broken off at the concrete foundations.

Nice free wood. Only problem is you have to drive way to far to get it!!! Like others said when time permits get that other tree down.

Well, I guess if you leave the other section of tree standing you might wanna replace the wooden legs on the shooting bench with steel legs. Just something to noodle over before the next wind storm.

Wanna trade?

LOL
There are those days... believe me, there are those days when living out in the county makes ya' reconsider the hick life.
Unfortunately for you uncle, today ain't one'a those days... sun is shinning, birds are singing, and the coffee is strong... I'll stay here another day I reckon.

Latest posts

Back