A License to Shampoo: Jobs Needing State Approval Rise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
Article in today's Wall Street Journal about how certain professions are "clamoring for more rules" regarding licensing, continuing education, etc. The article specifically mentions tree trimmers along with tattoo artists, cat groomers and music therapists. The author slightly redeems herself by admitting that "untrained electricians or tree-trimmers could put innocent bystanders in danger."

A License to Shampoo: Jobs Needing State Approval Rise - WSJ.com]Arts, Entertainment News, Music, Film, Television, Opera & Ballet News at WSJ.com - WSJ.com

Certification and regulation promote a more highly educated workforce. 99.9% of the time I want less gov't involvement and less bureaucracy, but tree work is a case where human lives can be saved by better training and the forests (urban, suburban and rural) can be saved by better education.

As an example, in my area which has been hit by the asian longhorn beetle, maybe tree crews were taking down affected maples for a couple years before someone realized what was happening. (I'm just guessing here.) They could've been hauling diseased wood away from job sites and without knowing it spreading the larvae.

But, a more highly educated work force stands a greater chance of spotting these types of problems and perhaps stopping the problem before it spreads. There are no guarantees but the odds are better if the guys know about pathogens, diseases, treatments, etc.

JPS how are more rules and regs going to effect your "hacks" when they pay no attention to them any way?

only if enforced, I am still PO'd that a hack company that killed an illegal worker is still in business here. With what is supposed to have happened they should have been broken.

So true! My wife needs a license to cut hair, my friend who is one of the better tattoo artists I've seen has to apprentice for 2500 hrs! But anyone with a chainsaw and a set of brass balls can cut trees, which in my opinion is crazy. Think about that , 2500 hrs that's 62 forty hour weeks before you can practice on your own..? :monkey:

So true! My wife needs a license to cut hair, my friend who is one of the better tattoo artists I've seen has to apprentice for 2500 hrs! But anyone with a chainsaw and a set of brass balls can cut trees, which in my opinion is crazy. Think about that , 2500 hrs that's 62 forty hour weeks before you can practice on your own..? :monkey:

How many diseases can a bad ink-man or barber vector? There is a history behind that type of regulation. There was a story not too long ago, about illegal nail shops that were spreading a serious nail fungus around the city. Our bad operators rarely hurt people, they just mess up trees an cost property owners money, usually many years after the fact.

Our bad operators rarely hurt people, they just mess up trees an cost property owners money, usually many years after the fact.

I dont know about that! around here they`re usually hurting someone or something & as far as costing the HO money for a "hacked" tree..........maybe the HO wanted it trimmed that way???

I still get asked to top trees & do things that go against the code of ethics........I walk away not knowing if they really are serious or if its a test? Ill ride by a week or two later & bam...trees are topped!

so regulating the business without regulating the field is not gonna work!!! & honestly Im not for regulations anyway.............they wont work & the implementation of enforcing it would be costly...........especially when the Govt. is battling over how to lower the deficit!!!

LXT................

So a few homeowners get some sub quality work. Big deal, that's life and it happens from time to time, I think most adults can deal with that.

The solution is not government regulation, what that does is cost all tax payers (homeowners) and we all get sub quality enforcement/performance.

As a homeowner my self I advise others to quit crying about your hacked up trees and find a company that does good work, take responsibility instead of looking to pass blame. Passing blame and whining to government will ultimately cost everyone more. Hey, then we could be like Canada, eh.

So a few homeowners get some sub quality work. Big deal, that's life and it happens from time to time, I think most adults can deal with that.

The solution is not government regulation, what that does is cost all tax payers (homeowners) and we all get sub quality enforcement/performance.

As a homeowner my self I advise others to quit crying about your hacked up trees and find a company that does good work, take responsibility instead of looking to pass blame. Passing blame and whining to government will ultimately cost everyone more. Hey, then we could be like Canada, eh.

Most people would not know good work from bad but only cheap from expensive. Just because you people out there are able to fend for yourselves don't mean these people can.
That was one thing I wasnted to bring up about our education system... man, sure seems to pump out a lot of idiots and BS. I think they need to teach Home Economics througout college. I think what they are teaching is the loopholes one can use to circumnavigate around the basic principles, that work is not good and the better man gets someone else to do it. In fact, they have change the definition of work.

Thank you , exactly ....Who cares about good work , all they care about is CHEAP , and the contractors will stand in line to give them exactly what they ask for , and its funny to here contractors complain about one another and make jokes when all I see is one trying to cut the throat of another , and the HO is at the root of it all , grabbing those gimmicks that these tards put out there like "WE'LL BEAT ANY COMPETITORS WRITTEN PRICE BY 50 BUCKS " these are the real criminals they drive the local prices down so low that it takes years to fix ... If the guy gets the tree down without ####ing something up the HO and the contractor are thrilled ...

Last edited:
Thank you , exactly ....Who cares about good work , all they care about is CHEAP , and the contractors will stand in line to give them exactly what they ask for , and its funny to here contractors complain about one another and make jokes when all I see is one trying to cut the throat of another , and the HO is at the root of it all , grabbing those gimmicks that these tards put out there like "WE'LL BEAT ANY COMPETITORS WRITTEN PRICE BY 50 BUCKS " these are the real criminals they drive the local prices down so low that it takes years to fix ... If the guy gets the tree down without ####ing something up the HO and the contractor are thrilled ...

And some of these guys are all licensed and certified. Its true the gimmicks obscure the bad work and bury the good.

Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with "sales gimmicks", anyone here who has bought a car has been subjected to such, hell....beating someones price by $50 is nothing compared to what the Govt is doing to those 1st time homebuyers who got a tax credit in 2008! everyone has a salespitch...its after the sale that counts.

Here if you dont offer a discount, senior, vet or other you wont be considered!!! there are those here who advertise that they`ll beat the lowest price no matter what!........we have many businesses who use this tactic, everyone from......home builders, carpet & flooring, restaurants, lawn, landscape, window installers, cleaners & yes even tree services!!!!!

think of no gimmick no potential customer......if it gets me in front of em (a gimmick) Ill use one every time.....BUT, I educate them & explain proper tree care thats all you can do & it either works or doesnt! believe me I have bid jobs that if you discounted them $50 from what the competition bid..........you would work for free!!!

LXT..............

And some of these guys are all licensed and certified. Its true the gimmicks obscure the bad work and bury the good.

Not all so true, I mean..........things can be said about the guy who promotes his biz from a station wagon with no work comp & rents all his tools along with having his buddies help him out of which none have proper liability insurance to sub their services..................did I mention these are cash jobs & not reported???

funny how some/many will work just as I have mentioned above, they claim enough of those cash jobs to report...but not all of it..............And some would take issue with a sales "gimmick"?.........thats the least of worries, hell its almost laughable compared to the above.

Danno............you once made a statement about what a business is to certain people............for instance: your biz model is different from mine & mine is different from tc101`s................does that make any one of ours better than the others? everyone runs their biz their way & certain areas use different tactics......doesnt make it wrong or mean that work is obscured for good or bad, its just a different way.......! $50 bucks if you lose a job cuz of that...well hey dont be salty over it....JUST GIVE A DISCOUNT ON TOP OF WHAT THE COMPETITION DOES!! only a tard would walk away beat!!

LXT.................

Not all so true, I mean..........things can be said about the guy who promotes his biz from a station wagon with no work comp & rents all his tools along with having his buddies help him out of which none have proper liability insurance to sub their services..................did I mention these are cash jobs & not reported???

funny how some/many will work just as I have mentioned above, they claim enough of those cash jobs to report...but not all of it..............And some would take issue with a sales "gimmick"?.........thats the least of worries, hell its almost laughable compared to the above.

Danno............you once made a statement about what a business is to certain people............for instance: your biz model is different from mine & mine is different from tc101`s................does that make any one of ours better than the others? everyone runs their biz their way & certain areas use different tactics......doesnt make it wrong or mean that work is obscured for good or bad, its just a different way.......! $50 bucks if you lose a job cuz of that...well hey dont be salty over it....JUST GIVE A DISCOUNT ON TOP OF WHAT THE COMPETITION DOES!! only a tard would walk away beat!!

LXT.................

I know IX, gimmicks don't kill people, people with gimmicks kill people.

Back