A License to Shampoo: Jobs Needing State Approval Rise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know IX, gimmicks don't kill people, people with gimmicks kill people.

Thats an unfounded statement! People without the right skillset, knowledge, education, etc... are the ones who bring danger to the workplace/site.

I highly doubt anyone offering a $50 discount or using the slogan "will beat any written price" are out there "killing" people! kinda like the gun argument uh....guns dont kill...people do!!

I have actually offered "free" gift when you hire us in my advertisements, a buddy of mine worked for a wholesale organization & was loaded with tons of product, he wanted rid of the cutlery, 4 slice toasters, gym bags, camping tents, etc.. so we made a deal...........if I landed jobs based on the offered free gift he would get a kickback!! after all these items were obtained free........it worked like a charm!

I landed more work than I could handle!!, he got his basement cleaned out & made money to boot..................yep, that gimmick killed people.....My competition!

sometimes danno.......your rebuttals to a posts are a little.......eh, out there!!!!

LXT................

Funny, even some of the site sponsors have gimmicks to lure you in & ultimately take your money......2 free leads uh? anyway......some will take your money & some gimmicks may save you money........I prefer to save money!!!

LXT............

state licensing

I am just starting my own business. I have been going it on my own for a couple of months now and I must say I wish that in Colorado there was state licensing, not to protect the people from the hacks, because even with state licensing I am sure they will still be around.

The reason I would like state licensing is because it is such a pain in the ass that every little town requires their own license. I already have four separate licenses and I still can't legally work the whole Denver metro area. Luckily most places will accept other town's licenses without you having to take the written and practical exams, but you still have to pay a fee and go down to the office etc etc. Plus keeping track of when they all expire, it would just be much easier to have one state one.

Also, what if there is a major ice or wind storm somewhere else in CO, if that specific area requires a tree license are they really not going to let other CO companies come in for storm response?

I can't comment on the lead service referenced above, but I can on the one I use. I've been very happy with the leads, and I have capitalized 100 fold on the fees involved. They aren't all bad...

Thats an unfounded statement! People without the right skillset, knowledge, education, etc... are the ones who bring danger to the workplace/site.

I highly doubt anyone offering a $50 discount or using the slogan "will beat any written price" are out there "killing" people! kinda like the gun argument uh....guns dont kill...people do!!

I have actually offered "free" gift when you hire us in my advertisements, a buddy of mine worked for a wholesale organization & was loaded with tons of product, he wanted rid of the cutlery, 4 slice toasters, gym bags, camping tents, etc.. so we made a deal...........if I landed jobs based on the offered free gift he would get a kickback!! after all these items were obtained free........it worked like a charm!

I landed more work than I could handle!!, he got his basement cleaned out & made money to boot..................yep, that gimmick killed people.....My competition!

sometimes danno.......your rebuttals to a posts are a little.......eh, out there!!!!

LXT................

Actually it wasn't a rebuttal, I was agreeing with you. :msp_unsure: Sorry to be so vague.
I said that the gimmick itself wasn't that bad ( but can be) and that it takes the wrong person weilding it to make trouble. That is what said, I admit I said it funny. And I also say that the last thing I will be drawn in with is a gimmick. I tell them to keep the gimmick, I will pay full price, just make sure all the problems are taken care of before you tell me its done.

I have a gimmick for ya! Ya dumb boondock! Dam dude, you don't need a hard hat do ya?

Actaully I do have some:

1. Free Trees - they are about as big as your pinky finger ... and a donation would be nice.
2. Free Ho chainsaw safety classes - That's were I make fun of you and yer saw
3. Money saving coupons - The more you spend the more you save!

But you and I don't sell snake oil. A gimmick in the wrong hands is just like gun, or like a badge. The person who has it has a sort of power over those who don't. Yes, I am out there brotherman.

Last edited:
And I really do tell the salesman to stop right there and just give me the bottom line right from the start. If he is able to do that then the gimmicks stop being gimmicks and start being amenities.
I am sure to include the amenities written in the proposals I write.

Chose one:

Gimmick OR Amenity

Which would you rather?

And that kinda explains what I meant about definition obscurity these days. Do you buy a car from a car dealer or do you go to the car store?

The Real Dan, not me, but the real one, the one before me and the one after sayeth this: One must be impeccable with his words for if not he shall fall into the abyss of obscurity.

And I didn't mean Treeco when i said The Real Dan, but The Real Dan is out there, watching, knowing, being - in all of us.

Last edited:
And before I go rewire the trailer I do want to let you guys know that it is actually the very first rule of being. To be immpecable with your words. There is 45 pages in summary of the dissertation of this alone but if anyone wants me to expand on it I will. If this very hard rule to follow would be followed then we would not be here talking about what we are talking about.

Last edited:
And when someone says they will beat out all other prices BOY did they just say a mouthful. What did they just say?:msp_blink:
While still being immpeccable at their word they offer a gimmick rather an amenity.
That is the second part of The Real Dan's teachings. I dunno if yer ready. :msp_laugh:

I think you're over the top today, Dan. That's SIX posts in a row on just one thread.

That may be a record!

Plus the one I started in the off topic forum about me wanting to be your spiritual leader.
I also got the trailer done and made bunch of calls. One of which was with a gent who is offering 750 a day as top rate for a climber.
Now I know I just said alot right there, its all true and I am not wanting to start a riot. You all know what I just said and all that goes with it I cannot deny.

Over the top? No, right on... its just that looks can be deceiving and that is why being impeccable with your words is so important. Think about the kinds of people who try to be so imppecable. Ya can't blame a man for calling a spade a spade, its when you ask for a spade and he tries to pawn off a shovel. See? Simple stuff really though very important if you are wanting to be on the up and up.

Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with "sales gimmicks", anyone here who has bought a car has been subjected to such, hell....beating someones price by $50 is nothing compared to what the Govt is doing to those 1st time homebuyers who got a tax credit in 2008! everyone has a salespitch...its after the sale that counts.

Here if you dont offer a discount, senior, vet or other you wont be considered!!! there are those here who advertise that they`ll beat the lowest price no matter what!........we have many businesses who use this tactic, everyone from......home builders, carpet & flooring, restaurants, lawn, landscape, window installers, cleaners & yes even tree services!!!!!

think of no gimmick no potential customer......if it gets me in front of em (a gimmick) Ill use one every time.....BUT, I educate them & explain proper tree care thats all you can do & it either works or doesnt! believe me I have bid jobs that if you discounted them $50 from what the competition bid..........you would work for free!!!

LXT..............

Honestly I don't care about your business or the way you run it , I don't even care about the ones here that actually affect me , BUT it a SCUMMY GIMMICK bottom line , and if another contractor wants too best another do it with the quality of work produced ....Not by killing the entire market WITH SMOKE AND MIRRORS ...

... Ya can't blame a man for calling a spade a spade, its when you ask for a spade and he tries to pawn off a shovel. ...

From Wikipedia:
To "call a spade a spade" is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature. Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1913) defines it as
“ To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any "beating about the bush". ”

Its ultimate source is Plutarch's Apophthegmata Laconica (178B) which has την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας (ten skafen skafen legontas). σκαφη (skafe) means "basin, trough", but it was mis-translated as ligo "shovel" by Erasmus in his Apophthegmatum opus. Lucian De Hist. Conscr. (41) has τα συκα συκα, την σκαφην δε σκαφην ονομασων (ta suka suka, ten skafen de skafen onomason) "calling a fig a fig, and a trough a trough".

The phrase was introduced to English in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of Erasmus, Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus:

Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade.

It is evident that the word spade refers to the instrument used to move earth, a very common tool. The same word was used in England and in Holland, Erasmus' country of origin.

The Oxford English Dictionary records a more forceful variant, "to call a spade a bloody shovel", attested since 1919. It is clear that the term shovel is used as a comparable but bigger tool than a spade.[citation needed]

The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur against African-Americans, which was not recorded until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the slur.[1]

Who would have thought that the phrase goes back over 1900 years?

From Wikipedia:
To "call a spade a spade" is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature. Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1913) defines it as
“ To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any "beating about the bush". ”

Its ultimate source is Plutarch's Apophthegmata Laconica (178B) which has την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας (ten skafen skafen legontas). σκαφη (skafe) means "basin, trough", but it was mis-translated as ligo "shovel" by Erasmus in his Apophthegmatum opus. Lucian De Hist. Conscr. (41) has τα συκα συκα, την σκαφην δε σκαφην ονομασων (ta suka suka, ten skafen de skafen onomason) "calling a fig a fig, and a trough a trough".

The phrase was introduced to English in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of Erasmus, Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus:

Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade.

It is evident that the word spade refers to the instrument used to move earth, a very common tool. The same word was used in England and in Holland, Erasmus' country of origin.

The Oxford English Dictionary records a more forceful variant, "to call a spade a bloody shovel", attested since 1919. It is clear that the term shovel is used as a comparable but bigger tool than a spade.[citation needed]

The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur against African-Americans, which was not recorded until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the slur.[1]

Who would have thought that the phrase goes back over 1900 years?

But still it does not go back as far as The Dan does.;)

To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any "beating about the bush". ”

And this is how my own father describes me, well, he doesn't use those nice words.

Honestly I don't care about your business or the way you run it , I don't even care about the ones here that actually affect me , BUT it a SCUMMY GIMMICK bottom line , and if another contractor wants too best another do it with the quality of work produced ....Not by killing the entire market WITH SMOKE AND MIRRORS ...

Gimmicks dont kill the market & to think that is self opinionated! SOooo...I offer a free gift when you hire my service, thats killing the biz?........I think not, its making the competition mad cuz they didnt think of it first or cant do it!!!

"sales pitches", "gimmicks" have been around forever & if you think thats what is ruining our trade or what is causing your biz problems........well then you need to think of a different biz model..........yeah the guy who has no insurance, pays the group of 4+ employees with multiple DUI`s $8 hr under the table is a much better biz man than the one using sales incentives!!

that last line is what is ruining our trade......not someone offering a senior discount, $50 discount, or a match & beat pricing promotion!! these types of solicitation have been around forever & will be around a lot longer.........its the biz that dont conform or create a customer "pop" who will be bagging groceries at wally world............& if a "gimmick" put you there? then you deserved it!!

LXT..............

Gimmicks dont kill the market & to think that is self opinionated! SOooo...I offer a free gift when you hire my service, thats killing the biz?........I think not, its making the competition mad cuz they didnt think of it first or cant do it!!!

"sales pitches", "gimmicks" have been around forever & if you think thats what is ruining our trade or what is causing your biz problems........well then you need to think of a different biz model..........yeah the guy who has no insurance, pays the group of 4+ employees with multiple DUI`s $8 hr under the table is a much better biz man than the one using sales incentives!!

that last line is what is ruining our trade......not someone offering a senior discount, $50 discount, or a match & beat pricing promotion!! these types of solicitation have been around forever & will be around a lot longer.........its the biz that dont conform or create a customer "pop" who will be bagging groceries at wally world............& if a "gimmick" put you there? then you deserved it!!

LXT..............

Drop it bro, you don't do gimmicks anyway,you provide amenities. Its like you didn't hear a word I said.

Drop it bro, you don't do gimmicks anyway,you provide amenities. Its like you didn't hear a word I said.

I wasnt replying to your post, I was making a general statement in regards to gimmicks!...........Danno, are you sure you`re using the word amenity in the right context????

now we are an amenity service.....LOL

LXT................

Back