A License to Shampoo: Jobs Needing State Approval Rise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gimmicks dont kill the market & to think that is self opinionated! SOooo...I offer a free gift when you hire my service, thats killing the biz?........I think not, its making the competition mad cuz they didnt think of it first or cant do it!!!

"sales pitches", "gimmicks" have been around forever & if you think thats what is ruining our trade or what is causing your biz problems........well then you need to think of a different biz model..........yeah the guy who has no insurance, pays the group of 4+ employees with multiple DUI`s $8 hr under the table is a much better biz man than the one using sales incentives!!

that last line is what is ruining our trade......not someone offering a senior discount, $50 discount, or a match & beat pricing promotion!! these types of solicitation have been around forever & will be around a lot longer.........its the biz that dont conform or create a customer "pop" who will be bagging groceries at wally world............& if a "gimmick" put you there? then you deserved it!!

LXT..............
Why do you take everything so personal ? Like I am speaking to you , I have a right to MY OPINION like I said I don't care what you do ... I don't even ask about other people bidding on my work , I just don't give a #### period , BUT when I take the time and money to be prompt to bid work and some D head runs and ad that says get prices and call us last , or we'll beat any written estimate , I THINK ITS SCUMMY... If thats how you bid thats great , seems like you can save a lot of gas all the people need to do is fax the bid to you with an address and when they want the work done and you go and bill 50 bucks less , RIGHT ..... Or is it a gimmick same product just cheaper ...It doesn't matter what the tree looks like or location its 50 bucks less... They can bid 1000.00 on a 3000.00 tree and you'll do it for 950.00 or are you full of #### ... Thats your angle with this , or do you think up some BS to sidestep that just to get you on the property , and now I am addressing you directly .. At least when I bid I speak directly to the HO and they express there concerns and I try to accomodate them within there budget .. Flat out

Last edited:
Now back on topic I love the idea of a national license allowing to tree company to move from state to state to work where work needs to be done .. On the state level think if they enforce it than I am on board but to hammer every tax paying business and allow the others to slide under the wire is not gonna work , they need an auditor to constantly persue and enforce fines ..

Why do you take everything so personal ? Like I am speaking to you , I have a right to MY OPINION like I said I don't care what you do ... I don't even ask about other people bidding on my work , I just don't give a #### period , BUT when I take the time and money to be prompt to bid work and some D head runs and ad that says get prices and call us last , or we'll beat any written estimate , I THINK ITS SCUMMY... If thats how you bid thats great , seems like you can save a lot of gas all the people need to do is fax the bid to you with an address and when they want the work done and you go and bill 50 bucks less , RIGHT ..... Or is it a gimmick same product just cheaper ...It doesn't matter what the tree looks like or location its 50 bucks less... They can bid 1000.00 on a 3000.00 tree and you'll do it for 950.00 or are you full of #### ... Thats your angle with this , or do you think up some BS to sidestep that just to get you on the property , and now I am addressing you directly .. At least when I bid I speak directly to the HO and they express there concerns and I try to accomodate them within there budget .. Flat out

ahh 101.........whew, dont de-nut yourself with too tight a legstrap ole boy!! I really dont care what your opinion is & you can address me directly all you want south of my belts border! you and I dont see eye to eye & prolly never will.

the problem is......as was stated in my post! if gimmicks upset you, you think thats skummy, you dont like it.........get use to it cause everyone uses a sales tactic, my biz does very well with the tactics I use & I keep things professional!! I dont get why you think something that works is so bad...............unless its being used against you & your competition is doing better than you???

funny how you didnt address the the bold parts of my post..........cause thats what is ruining our trade!

LXT.................

Now back on topic I love the idea of a national license allowing to tree company to move from state to state to work where work needs to be done .. On the state level think if they enforce it than I am on board but to hammer every tax paying business and allow the others to slide under the wire is not gonna work , they need an auditor to constantly persue and enforce fines ..

yeah, that wont cost tax payers too much!! why do people think (and Im addressing you directly) that a license & auditing is the solution.......this is America! & free enterprise is a right........people like you want to regulate the hell outta something for your own benefit because............."how can x tree serv. do that for so little...that job should be $3000.00 dollars"

If your wanting regulations because someone is operating illegally...........then turn em in!!! but when a legit service is kicking your azz on the bid front......through whatever means, then suck it up!! maybe his standard of living is different than yours.......when regulation is desired because certain companies dont like competition then bump that!! again its supply & demand........when you have 20 tree companies where there use to be 3...prices are gonna drop & you either go with the flow or change fields!!

LXT..............

ahh 101.........whew, dont de-nut yourself with too tight a legstrap ole boy!! I really dont care what your opinion is & you can address me directly all you want south of my belts border! you and I dont see eye to eye & prolly never will.

the problem is......as was stated in my post! if gimmicks upset you, you think thats skummy, you dont like it.........get use to it cause everyone uses a sales tactic, my biz does very well with the tactics I use & I keep things professional!! I dont get why you think something that works is so bad...............unless its being used against you & your competition is doing better than you???

funny how you didnt address the the bold parts of my post..........cause thats what is ruining our trade!

LXT.................
Thats exactly what I figured you'd say .... I laugh at any of your nonsense ... Nobody here kicks my ### believe me , I can work 2 days a week for real money and laugh all the way to the bank while all of the donkies kill themselves for 5/6 and make the same , I didn't lower my prices I just found a better class of customer and treat them fair and they return the favor ... I work smarter not harder and since 1999 I have grown annually and without breaking a sweat ... I haven't touched a saw since the end of DEC.

I wasnt replying to your post, I was making a general statement in regards to gimmicks!...........Danno, are you sure you`re using the word amenity in the right context????

now we are an amenity service.....LOL

LXT................

I know you weren't but we are all just talking and I hate to see you guys go back and forth argueing when we all want the same things and yes, I am using the word amenity in true form. It is a word with a few meanings, one of which is : something serving to comfort or accomodate. Sounds good ?:msp_cool:

I know you weren't but we are all just talking and I hate to see you guys go back and forth argueing when we all want the same things and yes, I am using the word amenity in true form. It is a word with a few meanings, one of which is : something serving to comfort or accomodate. Sounds good ?:msp_cool:
I actually think that your misunderstanding a lively debate thats all , I am not arguing I would have to actually care to argue ...

Nobody here kicks my ### believe me , I can work 2 days a week for real money and laugh all the way to the bank while all of the donkies kill themselves for 5/6 and make the same , I didn't lower my prices I just found a better class of customer and treat them fair and they return the favor ... I work smarter not harder and since 1999 I have grown annually and without breaking a sweat ... I haven't touched a saw since the end of DEC.

1- if nobody is kicking your but...then why complain about what they`re doing? I mean you`re laughing all the way to the bank!!

2-I dont have the lowest prices in my area by any means & I actually pay my guys much better than the competition!

3- "a better class of customer" this is what keeps ya going, Look... I bid with the rest of the vultures like everyone else primarily to inform the customer & educate them...............good way to try n fix the wrong doings in our trade.

working smarter n Not harder is my motto also, man.....to not touch a saw in over 2 months.....I enjoy my trade to much to allow that to happen!!!

LXT..................

Now back on topic I love the idea of a national license allowing to tree company to move from state to state to work where work needs to be done .. ..

That will NEVER happen. Even Doctors and Lawyers can only be licensed on a state by state level. And the lawyers are the ones that write the rules for everybody else.

You see, we have a constitution (in the USA), and the enforcement of that document has led to a concept called "States rights". Basically, the states are the governing body on most issues of our society.

There are citys in LA where you can only use a pre-approved(by the city) tree care company and crazy fines if you butcher your own tree.
I'm a borderline anarchist and hate regulations. I also hate it when I see a beautiful tree thats been growing for half a century turned into a hat rack.
Education has to be the answer. People have to be taught that topping, and lion tailing, will ruin their tree for ever.
Lot of Older people think topping is propper tree care. Management Company's have to learn its false economy to butcher their trees.
Regulations aren't the answer I believe. Education and legal recourse against a company who does damage to a ho trees. Malpractice if you will. That would eliminate lot of the butchers. Hit them where it hurts. Beastmaster

think of no gimmick no potential customer......if it gets me in front of em (a gimmick) Ill use one every time.....BUT, I educate them & explain proper tree care thats all you can do & it either works or doesnt! believe me I have bid jobs that if you discounted them $50 from what the competition bid..........you would work for free!!!

LXT..............

Or pay to go to work, after you get a flat tire on the way to the job.

There are citys in LA where you can only use a pre-approved(by the city) tree care company and crazy fines if you butcher your own tree.
I'm a borderline anarchist and hate regulations. I also hate it when I see a beautiful tree thats been growing for half a century turned into a hat rack.
Education has to be the answer. People have to be taught that topping, and lion tailing, will ruin their tree for ever.
Lot of Older people think topping is propper tree care. Management Company's have to learn its false economy to butcher their trees.
Regulations aren't the answer I believe. Education and legal recourse against a company who does damage to a ho trees. Malpractice if you will. That would eliminate lot of the butchers. Hit them where it hurts. Beastmaster

And in order to have legal recourse against a company that does damage to a HO trees, you have to have regulations/bylaws etc.

As a licenced professional (Registered Professional Forester), I believe that licencing would be good for the trade. Not everyone would need to become licenced, but a licenced professional arborist would be required to prepare the prescription and sign off on the completion. Then if there is a problem, the person signing off can be charged with malpractice. Will it cost the HO more money, yup, but how many people go looking for the low ball lawyer/doctor/dentist? IMHO, we need to raise the respect of the industry above that of "Two Crackheads and a Pickup".

1- if nobody is kicking your but...then why complain about what they`re doing? I mean you`re laughing all the way to the bank!!

2-I dont have the lowest prices in my area by any means & I actually pay my guys much better than the competition!

3- "a better class of customer" this is what keeps ya going, Look... I bid with the rest of the vultures like everyone else primarily to inform the customer & educate them...............good way to try n fix the wrong doings in our trade.

working smarter n Not harder is my motto also, man.....to not touch a saw in over 2 months.....I enjoy my trade to much to allow that to happen!!!

LXT..................
Damn you must have a guilty consense or something I am not complaining but FLAT OUT you call people HACKS but yet you run with them right ... Your words" I bid with all the voltures " what wrongs are you fixing when someone has a dead tree in there yard and your only there to PRICE MATCH it .. YOUR driving down the market flat out , than that woman has a friend that calls you and another company you bid dirt cheap and the "other" guy actually has respect for himself and bids to make something not just hand to mouth , and he looks like a bandit for what he bids ... I find it really hard to believe that your doing anything out there thats not ultimately for your gain somehow , stop saying your using GIMMICKS to educate people cause your nose is growing ...

That will NEVER happen. Even Doctors and Lawyers can only be licensed on a state by state level. And the lawyers are the ones that write the rules for everybody else.

You see, we have a constitution (in the USA), and the enforcement of that document has led to a concept called "States rights". Basically, the states are the governing body on most issues of our society.

Gotcha ... I am sure that it will never happen but IT WOULD BE NICE. This state will have a real problem enforcing anything now there alittle tapped out ...

Whatever happens happens , but it needs to be fair , if theres a license needed then the governing body needs to enforce it .. Not like this HICL that this state dumped on all the registered tax paying companies and the "other" guys basically laugh at it , it did nothing for the customer and costs me money that I have to somehow recoup lettering trucks , changing bid forms business cards all of it ..

I think you are referring to the interstate commerce clause, which gives states authority over intrastate (that which happens within their borders) activities. Any service company would perform said service within a states borders, making federal regulation unconstitutional.

Wingnut groups have blown the concept of states-rights out of proportion since the south tried to make the Civil War all about it.

Back