A License to Shampoo: Jobs Needing State Approval Rise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I could look myself in the mirror if I were to offer up a free four slice toaster with purchase of my services.. just sayin..

I look at probably the most successful tree business around here (owner is a friend/aquaintance/ ex employer of mine), dude has managed to market himself almost exclusively to the rich and super-rich. I'm quite certain this guy never gave away any toasters to these people along the way.. They can buy their own ####ing toaster if they want one. lol.

I have an idea what if you gave away a free replacement tree for removing one. Set a monetary limit so that you aren't removing a $300 tree and replacing it for nothing, maybe discounts for lower priced jobs I think it be a good marketing strategy. It certainly would be easier to look yourself in the mirror giving away a tree rather than a toaster. Its just an idea I could be totally off the wall with my thinking.

I have an idea what if you gave away a free replacement tree for removing one. Set a monetary limit so that you aren't removing a $300 tree and replacing it for nothing, maybe discounts for lower priced jobs I think it be a good marketing strategy. It certainly would be easier to look yourself in the mirror giving away a tree rather than a toaster. Its just an idea I could be totally off the wall with my thinking.

In one of my adds it says "replacement planting available" (I have a backhoe attachment for the tractor). I've had a few people take me up on it.. it damn sure wasn't free though! lol..

Toaster with a bow.. lmfao!!

In one of my adds it says "replacement planting available" (I have a backhoe attachment for the tractor). I've had a few people take me up on it.. it damn sure wasn't free though! lol..

Toaster with a bow.. lmfao!!

I can get 6' to 7' B&B and container trees of native species dirt cheap like $40 to $80 cheap. I could plant these guys all day long by hand with a ball kart.

Whats funny is that with all the work you have why are you posting in the "meat" of the workday ? I mean you have posts from 7am to 11am , someone like you should be busy ... Giving away expresso makers and #### like that , trying to find the next lucky winner of the "LXT" 3 day getaway to the IN AT THE DOVE ... I worked Sunday from the wind worked Monday all day than took a 3 hour nap , and worked til 11am yesterday , I could have woken up this morning and worked but I will wait til tomorrow to go back ... Sounds Suspect that the busiest guy In BUTZBURG has time to post here ..

Its called being the owner!!!!.................ooops im posting now at 9:13am, my men are doing an estate winter pruning & deadwood contract, I will check on them this after noon just like the other days when I posted early, the job is mostly small to medium type trees, I am on site when the work is a little more hairy.

I would suggest a nap after all that coffee sipping at the plow & salt job at walmart, dont worry ole 101.............Im not the one who said I was the busiest, laughing to the bank, making $300 an hr, non saw touching, economically recession proof BS`er in the tree world like you...Bwahahahahah.

espressos.............this is Blitzburgh pudding, not jerwsey shore.....LOL, still cant reply to the "hack" question uh? yeah..... thats cause you once again mis-construed the truth & now you have to backpeddle to a different topic...LOL you sure your manhood didnt affect your brain function after you were puttin it in the beehive?????? keep trying girlfriend........!!!!

LXT................

That may be the most pathetic post I have ever read , a toaster for a tree ... And your not doing "GIMMICKS" most of my customers spend there toaster money feeding us lunch and TIPPING the men well , I doubt those cheap ####'s that took advantage of the toaster fiasco would give a drink of hose water .... Hopefully for you they do make a 8 slicer than you can BUY A CLUE ..

see once again...........your flatulance has left you to mis-construe the truth

Actually pillsbury........those customers have provided me with gift cards to some of the areas best high end restaurants/country clubs........look bozo......they dont have garden hoses............they have irrigation/sprinkler systems that cost more than your house, tools & biz put together!!!

LOL...yeah an 8 slicer & buy a clue was a good one..........NOT!!!

maybe you should have read all that was offered but you decided to focus on a toaster....lol, no one minded getting the free leatherman tool, the camping equipment, gym bags, etc... we even had 2 hand held gps devices we included in the list.............I actually had to look up some of the stuff!!

Did I mention that this year I send all my 2010 customers a holiday post card thanking them along with a gift certificate to apply toward future services??? Look, my customers provide me a good living & I am thankful, I have been given tips & eaten at restaurants that were pricey & beyond me!!

its a true shame that you dont see the goodness in giving back to those who utilize your service...........not one person when I told them about the giveaway thought it was a "gimmick" some of those folks had friends, family & neighbors who arent as fortunate as YOU ($300 hr) & thought that these less fortunate folks could use some of the items...........its called a humanitarian effort.

I get my personal formaids printed up & the owner gives me a magnet & free pens, some give me calenders, tickets to the game, etc.... for being a good custome of theirs.............so whats wrong with giving back???

This economy is in ruin because of greedy, non giving back types like you!!! its all about keeping prices high, laughing to the bank & breaking your arm patting yourself on the back cause no one else will, your arrogance, boasting & greed are sickening to me.............you think you are better for not than for doing, all I see from your posts is the want for more & you are willing to regulate & license to do such.....................you are truly the cancer stricken bowel type that is gutting america!!!

LXT...................

Last edited:
That's what I was told. Pretty good money in it at that rate too.

Those bags (like vet was talking about) are probably an awesome idea, especially if you're gonna guarantee the thing lives..

Are you referring to "tree gator" or some other related watering device? They work well, but they still require that you come and fill them...regularly. Unless you are going to charge for filling them, you had better make sure that your warranty does NOT include death from improper watering techniques.

Then, if you are like nearly every other landscaper in town, you tell them the plant died from too much water, or (usually) not enough. Sorry!

I'm really kind of surprised at the resistance to lxt here. Look up and down the road, is there a ma and pa business that isn't offering some "incentive" to bring in customers? Why are tree companies better than that?

I'm not a businessman, but work for a guy who has 20+ crews on the road year around. I bet he gives away over a thousand tv's, grills, and snowblowers every year. I broke some ribs and an arm a few years back and spent some time with the sales force-what an interesting study in human nature. I saw one of our guys pick up 20k worth of work by throwing in a $400 tv. And of course then the "i only work with rich clients" argument comes in. I've got to say, we've done a lot of work for rich people, and too many of them are the cheapest sob's i've ever seen. (Not all of course.)

People like getting stuff for free, even the rich people. I've seen customers jump through hoops for the chance at getting the stupidist stuff for free.

So what sets you apart from the other tree guys. Say i've put out that i need some tree work done as a homeowner. Two companies bid, they are about the same size, similar quote, etc. Do i go with the guy who hasn't touched a saw in two months or the guy who will give me a toaster. I like getting free stuff too.

It's the same choice consumers are presented with daily. Two banks with similar services, same location, etc. I'm going to go with the one who gives away a free mountain bike when you open a checking account. I like getting free stuff too.

I've got a choice between two ac guys, both do similar work at similar prices. I'm going with the guy who gives me a free calendar. I like free stuff too.

I've got three saw dealers that have similar prices, and service. I'm going with the one that will give me free screnches or files or glasses or chaps with every purchase. I like free stuff too.

My point is, as a consumer and customer i'm definitely not hurting in the pocketbook, but when i can get the same service from two different outfits for the same price, i'm going to be looking for something that will sway me to one side or the other. Freebies sway a lot of people.

Last edited:
I have been inspired by this thread to spend some money on promotional items !

I agreed to purchase a bunch of promotional pens today, to be handed out to each new customer that signs up, or for each continuing customer that I renew services with. They are really neat pens that include our engraved name & info, a nice appearance, and a tiny built-in flashlight at the top. Really cool, my office assistant said she would let me see it, but that she wanted to keep it.

No big news about this idea, imprinted pens have been around forever, right?

In addition to being a really neat pen, I will be giving a lifetime replacement policy on the batteries and ink for each pen when I hand it to a customer. The idea is to make sure that they hang on to the pen, are reminded of my company on a regular basis, and that they call me whenever they need something, like ink for their favorite pen.

that will work!! around here football is huge, right before the football season starts I have magnets with company info & the teams schedule printed up. amazing how that & some professionalism will sell a job & ive even been the higher bid!!!

the "toaster" & other items thing was a one time deal, a good buddy of mine was a sales rep & demonstrator of products for....?amway/maleluca...one of those, he acquired so much stuff over the years his basement looked like a store, so we came up with the promo idea I mentioned, he couldnt sell the items (legally) but he got a cleaned out basement, made money, I made money, sold jobs & customers were happy!!!!!

dont know what more could of been done......Ill tell ya this, you give the customer a free item with bid or upon acceptance of contract & they wont forget you!!! yep, Ill engage in that type of salesmanship every chance I get......whats nice is when you see one of those customers out & they stand there talking to ya for 10-15min telling you about how handy that little leatherman tool is, etc...

funny fact is: one of my competitors would call & try to see what we were giving away.........then when he was found out, cursed me & hung up!! LOL, it will make the competition mad...........when you`re the first on the block offering such!!

LXT................

I agreed to purchase a bunch of promotional pens today, to be handed out to each new customer that signs up, or for each continuing customer that I renew services with. They are really neat pens that include our engraved name & info, a nice appearance, and a tiny built-in flashlight at the top. Really cool, my office assistant said she would let me see it, but that she wanted to keep it.

No big news about this idea, imprinted pens have been around forever, right?

In addition to being a really neat pen, I will be giving a lifetime replacement policy on the batteries and ink for each pen when I hand it to a customer. The idea is to make sure that they hang on to the pen, are reminded of my company on a regular basis, and that they call me whenever they need something, like ink for their favorite pen.

Just give it up PDQ. Walmart Tree is already offering up free tv's to go with the deforestation of your property. There's no competing with that! Lol.

see once again...........your flatulance has left you to mis-construe the truth

Actually pillsbury........those customers have provided me with gift cards to some of the areas best high end restaurants/country clubs........look bozo......they dont have garden hoses............they have irrigation/sprinkler systems that cost more than your house, tools & biz put together!!!

LOL...yeah an 8 slicer & buy a clue was a good one..........NOT!!!

maybe you should have read all that was offered but you decided to focus on a toaster....lol, no one minded getting the free leatherman tool, the camping equipment, gym bags, etc... we even had 2 hand held gps devices we included in the list.............I actually had to look up some of the stuff!!

Did I mention that this year I send all my 2010 customers a holiday post card thanking them along with a gift certificate to apply toward future services??? Look, my customers provide me a good living & I am thankful, I have been given tips & eaten at restaurants that were pricey & beyond me!!

its a true shame that you dont see the goodness in giving back to those who utilize your service...........not one person when I told them about the giveaway thought it was a "gimmick" some of those folks had friends, family & neighbors who arent as fortunate as YOU ($300 hr) & thought that these less fortunate folks could use some of the items...........its called a humanitarian effort.

I get my personal formaids printed up & the owner gives me a magnet & free pens, some give me calenders, tickets to the game, etc.... for being a good custome of theirs.............so whats wrong with giving back???

This economy is in ruin because of greedy, non giving back types like you!!! its all about keeping prices high, laughing to the bank & breaking your arm patting yourself on the back cause no one else will, your arrogance, boasting & greed are sickening to me.............you think you are better for not than for doing, all I see from your posts is the want for more & you are willing to regulate & license to do such.....................you are truly the cancer stricken bowel type that is gutting america!!!

Ya know what I give back to my customers , SERVICE , because 90% pull the same the #### right as we close the door on the chipper they will walk outside and look up 70ft at some random branch and want it removed , thats where I have learned to knock on the door and ask them "IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT YOU SEE THAT I CAN HELP WITH " not some stupid azz MR TOASTER 4 slice , I also give back by being prompt and fair , but never have I cheapened myself . I don't care how many toasters or TV's or what the #### ever you can dream up my customers are appreciative more or good service than some GIMMICK , I do however like the pen idea , theres was a time when we gave away magnets ... And I think that your full of it "MR ESTATE" pruner , I never found posting here more important than work ..And as far as the hack comment WHATS THE QUESTION AGAIN ?

You whats funny LXT with all your accolades with the original topic of this thread reguarding licence you say no way that won't work but your wrong if its enforced it will work much the same as a electrician and plumber .. What I think is that your certs. and all these groups that you belong too were from your previous employer that you've carried into your BIZ and hailed yourself as the cleanest guy in boozburg when deep down inside your probably roped with debt and these "IDEAS" are a desperate attempt at not letting the wheel stop and losing everything ... But believe me I know because I was there in 05' and I had all these" IDEAS" flying around my head ... I think that your full of it when you say things like while I am plowing your getting ready to go cut trees , I have never seen someone pulling a chipper to a job the morning after snow that wasn't an emergency and even then I could probably count on my one hand the times .. If you wanna to be taken for real and respected tell the truth , and I am not bragging about making 300 an hour but its the truth .. I pay my bills with that money and I may not live the way your claiming to live but I do well enough to have 2 children married with a house and plenty of time and the means to be a coach of football and softball and T ball, this business affords me with the flexibilty of being a full time dad so the money thing is just that something I need to pay my bills, I am not really worried about being rich right now .. There is a part of me that wishes that I was closer to you , so I could really see if your claims are really that accurate .. And please stop referring to my weight , IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A ###got , I mean really theres has never been a man that has pi##ed me off enough to be a ### wad and comment on his body , you sound like a chick when you do it .. REALLY .

ahhh....treewhiner, well I wish you were closer too!!! & if I remember correctly you have my website, phone number & address??? Im not hard to find lil fella!

posting here more important than work??? No!, its called tax time big boy & while my guys ARE WORKING ON TREES...while you & your crew are stealing the 10yr olds shoveling job at Ms. smiths.......Im doing what is called paper work, audit preparation & compliance for vehicles (Class A driven equipment)

"you give back by being prompt & fair?" from what others & I gather from your posts I would seriously question that statement.....if you did your job (tree care) properly.......no home owner would have you go back up 70 ft & re-do missed work....especially when your closing the chipper hopper! :dizzy:

we have had additional work requests.........but not on the tree(s) we were doing or finished with! Pal......you can hate what you`re calling a "gimmick" all you want, Im not the only one doing boy!! why? cuz......IT WORKS!!

LXT.................can someone get the jersey shore boy some whine & cheese? LOL

You whats funny LXT with all your accolades with the original topic of this thread reguarding licence you say no way that won't work but your wrong if its enforced it will work much the same as a electrician and plumber .. What I think is that your certs. and all these groups that you belong too were from your previous employer that you've carried into your BIZ and hailed yourself as the cleanest guy in boozburg when deep down inside your probably roped with debt and these "IDEAS" are a desperate attempt at not letting the wheel stop and losing everything ... But believe me I know because I was there in 05' and I had all these" IDEAS" flying around my head ... I think that your full of it when you say things like while I am plowing your getting ready to go cut trees , I have never seen someone pulling a chipper to a job the morning after snow that wasn't an emergency and even then I could probably count on my one hand the times .. If you wanna to be taken for real and respected tell the truth , and I am not bragging about making 300 an hour but its the truth .. I pay my bills with that money and I may not live the way your claiming to live but I do well enough to have 2 children married with a house and plenty of time and the means to be a coach of football and softball and T ball, this business affords me with the flexibilty of being a full time dad so the money thing is just that something I need to pay my bills, I am not really worried about being rich right now .. There is a part of me that wishes that I was closer to you , so I could really see if your claims are really that accurate .. And please stop referring to my weight , IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A ###got , I mean really theres has never been a man that has pi##ed me off enough to be a ### wad and comment on his body , you sound like a chick when you do it .. REALLY .

Wow.....where do I even begin? I wish I could draw it in crayon for ya TC & then maybe, just maybe you might get it?!

1- license....dont want it! why? I just went through hell getting a new trailer registered/titled in this state..it came from a non title state....whats my point.....the commonwealth is hell to deal with for something of this level could you imagine what a biz license would be like??? whos paying for the enforcement....you crying idiots never think of that!! yeah lets tell the already overburdened tax payer (especially in jersey) that your taxes are going up for tree trimming/ removal law enforcement

2- all my Certs are mine & anyone with an ounce of knowledge would know you cant carry them over.....I have to get CEU`s & re-train/refresh in this trade just like most everyone else....so this comment of yours is unfounded & stupid in nature (not a surprise).

3- hard to believe my biz is doing trees?? thats your problem...BUT WE ARE!! Hmmm......yep at the end of my rope, verge of folding up, no money....NOT chubs...I will be bidding on an Apt complex job today for a very good client, we are working 2-3 days a wk depending on the weather.....im so bad off...that I am popping approx 20 grand for my up-coming wedding in october!!!! so as bad off as I am according to you.....NOT, LOL......Im thinking the scenario you portrayed reflects your situation......cause you are the one whinning & complaining, Im just stating what has helped my biz out & you dont like it......oh, want a cookie?

4-boozeburgh.................hmmm....?? the only thing jersey has is the "devil(s)" & a ITCC!! other than that..........your state is broke just like every other state is or will be.............but hell.......with your ability & recession proof knowledge maybe you could offer up advice & save the day???

as far as poking fun at your weight............you get a lil salty bout that uh? I would suggest a good fiber diet & smaller portions!!

As for the rest of your meritless, exagerated rantings.....we all just consider the source, meaningless!!!!!

LXT................

Mind showing me within this thread where I call people hacks???? maybe you should re-read post 12 & 18!!
LXT................

heres the "hack" question again, you said in a previous post I called people "hacks"

So Im asking your nose growing, lying butt to show me where I said that!!!! re-read your post #66 on page 5......... & you say I need to buy a clue, you need to magically make one appear for you!!!

LXT.............

Last edited:
Wow.....where do I even begin? I wish I could draw it in crayon for ya TC & then maybe, just maybe you might get it?!

1- license....dont want it! why? I just went through hell getting a new trailer registered/titled in this state..it came from a non title state....whats my point.....the commonwealth is hell to deal with for something of this level could you imagine what a biz license would be like??? whos paying for the enforcement....you crying idiots never think of that!! yeah lets tell the already overburdened tax payer (especially in jersey) that your taxes are going up for tree trimming/ removal law enforcement

- ]

3- hard to believe my biz is doing trees?? thats your problem...BUT WE ARE!! Hmmm......yep at the end of my rope, verge of folding up, no money....NOT chubs...I will be bidding on an Apt complex job today for a very good client, we are working 2-3 days a wk depending on the weather.....im so bad off...that I am popping approx 20 grand for my up-coming wedding in october!!!! so as bad off as I am according to you.....NOT, LOL......Im thinking the scenario you portrayed reflects your situation......cause you are the one whinning & complaining, Im just stating what has helped my biz out & you dont like it......oh, want a cookie?

4-boozeburgh.................hmmm....?? the only thing jersey has is the "devil(s)" & a ITCC!! other than that..........your state is broke just like every other state is or will be.............but hell.......with your ability & recession proof knowledge maybe you could offer up advice & save the day???

as far as poking fun at your weight............you get a lil salty bout that uh? I would suggest a good fiber diet & smaller portions!!

As for the rest of your meritless, exagerated rantings.....we all just consider the source, meaningless!!!!!

LXT................[/QUOTE

Wow a whole whopping 20 grand ... That alone is worth reading all your nonsense , thanks for the giggle.. So when you say crying idiots are you referring to all the tree care companies that are pushing it in this state, or what because that is a pretty broad statement , or just me .. If your rolling so hard than why would the cost of a license be so bad ... I think you need to do your homework and stop saying things that would suggest that you are bitter , and with the comments about my weight , there just pathetic and ### and hearing it from a man is just creapy , especially a stranger ..

Last edited:
LXT wrote $50 bucks if you lose a job cuz of that...well hey dont be salty over it....JUST GIVE A DISCOUNT ON TOP OF WHAT THE COMPETITION DOES!! only a tard would walk away beat!! this one sentence sums your biz up ...

Back