A little silver maple we cut today....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamtree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
About 3 hours to get it on the ground and about an hour to cut the last 5 feet....lol

Travis is holding a MS660 with a 32" bar.

Nice job Teamtree, almost ran out of bar, that is a biggun. Those co dominant buttress sections growing into each other probably would have formed some cracks in conjunction with that decayed interior. That wouldn't have been a good thing.

Yes, four main stems growing out of one stump....and it was not pretty....it had some decay and was forming mushroom around the cracks....one stem was hanging over a row of about 16 young spruce trees, another over a shed and another over a nice magnolia....so it was alot of roping but it was a fun one to work with...we roping out 50' limbs....straight to the chipper.

ya gotta wonder if the time involved is worth the end product in quality of firewood. no matter how much you hate silver maples, they sure bring us a LOT of work. nice work again, no sign of even a bent branch on another tree. Cherry picker?

Yeah, it was a cherry picker job...we used a 65' bucket truck on the job.....we actually had the job passed to us by a climber who does not have a bucket truck. Since we were rigging each stem off of another we could do it much quicker than he could so he passed the job over to us. Plus once you got the limbs off it was just dumping 8' logs so it made it pretty easy with a bucket. We have a good working relationship with him and he gives us all his bucket work plus stumps.

Yeah, it was a cherry picker job...we used a 65' bucket truck on the job.....we actually had the job passed to us by a climber who does not have a bucket truck. Since we were rigging each stem off of another we could do it much quicker than he could so he passed the job over to us. Plus once you got the limbs off it was just dumping 8' logs so it made it pretty easy with a bucket. We have a good working relationship with him and he gives us all his bucket work plus stumps.

hopefully you reciprocate in some way.

Nice work teamtree!

what size Deere is that?? We do the same thing, bring both the forks and bucket and switch as needed. You should get a Farmi winch, I've got one and I wouldnt live without it.

TV, I hear you on those giant pieces of firewood, just this morning I was trying to get my buddy that also owns a tree service to buy one of those splitters for his skidsteer. I always end up with all that giant crap, it would be so sweet to have a buddy with one of those things come by once a year and bust all that up.

yeah but also silv maple burns like newspaper and many crotches make it torture. Plus, like you said....hate those big honkers even with a splitter.

I'll take sugar maple any day tho.

yeah but also silv maple burns like newspaper and many crotches make it torture. Plus, like you said....hate those big honkers even with a splitter.

I'll take sugar maple any day tho.

I get alot of sugar maple and red oak thats huge like that. To be able to just drive up to them and move em over by the smaller splitter and split them up would be the deal. I gave away all that white oak we were talking about the other week - it was nice and straight too, probably 40" or better. not that theres much money in firewood though, I just do about 13 cord a year for personal use.

Oh, I forgot to add that I load all that bigger wood in 4.5' hunks, I stand them up in my one ton like kegs with the tractor and just keep pushing them back. so I have alot in that range where the skidsteer splitter would come into play.

I get alot of sugar maple and red oak thats huge like that. To be able to just drive up to them and move em over by the smaller splitter and split them up would be the deal. I gave away all that white oak we were talking about the other week - it was nice and straight too, probably 40" or better. not that theres much money in firewood though, I just do about 13 cord a year for personal use.

The big wood is a pain but when getting in to the woods you mention it becomes more worthwhile. I have a TW 5 but am thinking of adding a cheapo Tractor Supply 1700$ 35 ton that guillotine splits for fatty pieces to prepare them for the TW5 multi split.

I too don't sell that much (bout 35 or 40 cords last year) but am trying to do more and averaged about $210 per cord last year. I burn at home too like you MDS.

The big wood is a pain but when getting in to the woods you mention it becomes more worthwhile. I have a TW 5 but am thinking of adding a cheapo Tractor Supply 1700$ 35 ton that guillotine splits for fatty pieces to prepare them for the TW5 multi split.

I too don't sell that much (bout 35 or 40 cords last year) but am trying to do more and averaged about $210 per cord last year. I burn at home too like you MDS.

I've got one of those tractor supply jobbers you mentioned there, mine is probably 4 or five years old, I can tell you this: stay away from the briggs (mine is 12.5 hp), its a POC like no tomoro.

Yes, we reciprocate by giving him some climbing or pay a commission. Like I said, we have a good working relationship.

The forks make it easy to move and load those big pieces of wood. I got out of the firewood business last year and I sell my wood as I load it. The buyer will take anything and has a big splitter on his skidsteer.

Latest posts

Back