A little stumped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The other day I picked up a nice saw, well 14 of them actually, but I'm having trouble with this one in particular.

The saw in question is A nice looking SXL-AO that has no spark.

I say no spark because it will not fire the plug, but if I do the electrocute my finger trick by sticking a screwdriver in the plug boot I get a massive jolt.

So there's no spark with a plug (tried several) but there's certainly a jolt that can be felt by hand.

Any ideas before I start disassembling two of the same saw and start swapping parts around?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I know I have gotten my share of shocks from Briggs & Stratton motors that don't spark, but shock me. In my experience, I replace the coil and the problem is solved. A few times it has been the condensor, also.

I don't know how that applies to chainsaws, though. When my 920 died, there was no juice at all.

Last edited:
RaisedByWolves said:
The other day I picked up a nice saw, well 14 of them actually, but I'm having trouble with this one in particular.

The saw in question is A nice looking SXL-AO that has no spark.

I say no spark because it will not fire the plug, but if I do the electrocute my finger trick by sticking a screwdriver in the plug boot I get a massive jolt.

So there's no spark with a plug (tried several) but there's certainly a jolt that can be felt by hand.

Any ideas before I start disassembling two of the same saw and start swapping parts around?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Clean and regap points, 0r clip wire and install electronic conversion. but may not have points,latter models didn't.

Lakeside53 said:
Almost guaranteed it's your condensor.. now remember, I said "almost"

This is what I was thinking, but this would mean the points are normaly closed and they fire upon opening?

Ive had to replace condensers before, but at those times there was no spark and no jolt. This was also on contact type points setup eg. briggs kohler etc. The non contact(?) type of ignitions are new to me if thats what this has.

And now that the discussion includes electronic conversions, will these kits work only to convert points type ignitions to electronic or will they also replace faulty electronic modules in electronic ignition saws?

Ask me about magnitos, go head, Im a mag whiz.

RaisedByWolves said:
This is what I was thinking, but this would mean the points are normaly closed and they fire upon opening?

Ive had to replace condensers before, but at those times there was no spark and no jolt. This was also on contact type points setup eg. briggs kohler etc. The non contact(?) type of ignitions are new to me if thats what this has.

And now that the discussion includes electronic conversions, will these kits work only to convert points type ignitions to electronic or will they also replace faulty electronic modules in electronic ignition saws?

Ask me about magnitos, go head, Im a mag whiz.
Insult me by saying I have a two digit IQ but you can't figure this out and have to ask for help, hmmmm.

RaisedByWolves said:
LOL It was a joke, go back and reread it ya retread.:cheers:

Besides, when you work six days a week and then get this...

View attachment 32236

View attachment 32237

dumped in your lap, you might want to ask your Friends to help you figure out ONE of the many problems you face.

Asking for help with one problem out of fourteen anit so bad.:clap:
I can't figure it out, I only have a two digit IQ.

Hello r.b.wolfes.Does the homey have a black coil or a blue one.If its a blue one its electronic.Prestolite.If your getting a shock,your getting spark.The eletronic spark is much hotter than a point sytem.So much so that you can hardly see it unless your in real low lite candition.Check your air gap and plug gap.Later Don.

Back