A new Stihl MS770???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freakingstang said:
I think a factory big bore 660 would be nice, something in the 100-105cc range, but leave it on the same 660 bottom end if it will handle it, for a small package and lighter weight than the behemouth. lol

Yep... make a 661... decent air filtration (although the HD system isn't really a problem) and just give me back the 7.7hp I had in 1996! same weight. NO rev limiting... my problem if I choose to mess it up. As for the big bore.. sure. make it a 662 magnum,or whatever. Get me 8.x hp...

The 771? Oh... definitely a smaller package than the 880 with similar power.

And, two piece muffler, but let's not tell them why:D

Lakeside53 said:
Yep... make a 661... decent air filtration (although the HD system isn't really a problem) and just give me back the 7.7hp I had in 1996! same weight. NO rev limiting... my problem if I choose to mess it up. As for the big bore.. sure. make it a 662 magnum,or whatever. Get me 8.x hp...

And, two piece muffler, but let's not tel them why:D

Several minds on this are thinking alike for sure.

Lakeside53 said:

And, two piece muffler, but let's not tel them why:D

Good post Andy. I could handle those. I like my husky air filters, but I"m over the whining and crying about the HD system that I had before. There really isn't anything wrong with it, and as long as you don't let it get out of control, it isn't anything to tap it out and get the paritcles/saw dust out.

THALL10326 said:
I think the 650 was a flop but think a 770 would be a hit..

Yup, I think the fact that it (650) weighs the same as a 660 with the power of a modded 460 doomed it to a life of obscurity. I think you got a good idea there in a 770 if they could keep the weight down.

Turner said:
Yup, I think the fact that it (650) weighs the same as a 660 with the power of a modded 460 doomed it to a life of obscurity. I think you got a good idea there in a 770 if they could keep the weight down.

I sent a e-mail down to one of my buddies at Va Beach when the 650 came out and told him no no no, need one in the middle of the 660-880. I think sales have proven me right for I've sold only one 650 since it came out and sold that one because the 660's were out of stock at Stihl. I think a 770 or 771 would be a winner. Besides I want one so by joe they have to build it, nuff said,lol....

I don't think there would be a substantial market in that range. 660 is on the upper end of the weight range for the vast majority of sawyers, and if they go bigger then they don't care about weight. i.e., why buy a 770 when you can have an 880? I would be willing to bet Stihl and the other makers have put substantial research into what optimum marketable sizes are.

spacemule said:
I don't think there would be a substantial market in that range. 660 is on the upper end of the weight range for the vast majority of sawyers, and if they go bigger then they don't care about weight. i.e., why buy a 770 when you can have an 880? I would be willing to bet Stihl and the other makers have put substantial research into what optimum marketable sizes are.

$1000.00 verses $1650.00, biggggggggggg gap Space...........

THALL10326 said:
$1000.00 verses $1650.00, biggggggggggg gap Space...........
Yeah, but you got to remember. The biggest market for anything over 5 cubic inches is to those who want to have the biggest saw. A 770 is only going to be second biggest. It'd be like a girl who only wants to be "held." :givebeer: :jester:

spacemule said:
Yeah, but you got to remember. The biggest market for anything over 5 cubic inches is to those who want to have the biggest saw. A 770 is only going to be second biggest. It'd be like a girl who only wants to be "held." :givebeer: :jester:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww and all girls want to be held Space, I knew we could agree with the right wording,lol........................

Why not just get stupid!!!! How about a 2200, say around 200cc? Same weight or less than a 3120? Amp it up around 15-20hp? A monster saw that you can get parts for:hmm3grin2orange:
I think space got this one Thall, if somebody is going to pony up the money for the 770, there can't be that much difference in price to the 880?
Andy

Back