a new use for an old throwbag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was rummaging through my shed early this morning hunting for a lanyard that i knew was stashed in there somewhere and came across a kayaking rescue throwbag, im sure some of you know what this is, for the ones that dont it is a floating bag that holds around 100 feet of 7/16 floating line the idea being that if some one flips over you can toss the bag to them holding onto an exposed rope end and the rope will peal out as it flys threw the air. these thingscost maybe like 20 bucks max we bought 4 one year on sale for 8 bucks a piece, the wheels started to turn in my head so i grabbed an old hank of climbing line and the bag tossed them in the truck and forgot about them around 3 we were about to start a pruning job on a 50 foot tree and i remembered the throw line bag I took all the crappy floating line out and the styrafoam float in the bottom and packed it full of 100 feet of 7/16ths climbing line (for you ansi guys this would probabley hold about 80 feet of 1/2) i tied tossed it up into the tree and it worked beautifully right on target and i had no problem throwing it up 40+ feet the line played out nicely as the bag fell on the other side of the tree i anchored it of and proceeded to do the pruning job without having to mess with my throwline at all the cleanup at the end was slick too just restuff the bag and we were off to the next job. obviously this doesnot work in every situation and im sure at least one of you guys have done this before but what im wondering is has anybody had any luck using something like this regularly? have you seen a similar product that works better? im all for convienience and when i have a small job to do i dont want to have to completely unpack the truck to do it.

Im open to any suggestions to make this system better

Tom

Back