A new wedging tool: what do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have not seen this before; what do you guys think?

That looks expensive and not nearly as reliable as a couple of wedges and an axe. I'm inclined to think that it will only be practical for guys that are cutting a huge amount of easy to tip trees. Just my two bits worth.

That looks expensive and not nearly as reliable as a couple of wedges and an axe. I'm inclined to think that it will only be practical for guys that are cutting a huge amount of easy to tip trees. Just my two bits worth.

#1) I don't trust guys with funny Canadanian accents. (Those bastids been tryina invade us for ever. Don't turn yer back on em)
#2) I just don't think you can get deep enough into the solid wood to make that tool safe.
#3) Lotta extra gear to pack out for the incremental leveraging it will supply.

#1) I don't trust guys with funny Canadanian accents. (Those bastids been tryina invade us for ever. Don't turn yer back on em)
#2) I just don't think you can get deep enough into the solid wood to make that tool safe.
#3) Lotta extra gear to pack out for the incremental leveraging it will supply.

So do you trust this guy with the German accent?

Sorry, just seems like a novelty more then practical. I read through the links and watched the videos and don't see any practically application that I would want to drag the extra weight with me, where a double stacked wedge wouldn't work just as well, and likely be faster to get the tree down.

Lol, that last combination probably weighs more than a 90cc saw🤣

Here in the UK mechanical wedges are a requirement on certain sites. Lots of ash dieback, and they don't want to shake dead wood out hammering a wedge in. I haven't used them myself though so I can't say how useful they are!

So the captured a segment of the market via regulatory action. Same think Sawstop tried to do with table saws in US.

Safer? yes, should everyone have one? yes, if they could afford it. But it should be left up to the operator.

Review from my side: In Germany we use the mechanical wedges quite often. Very useful to safe a lot of effort in tipping medium size trees over. Also makes slightly leaning trees much easier. Myself I use the Eder Titan 50, the small one. Basically wedging it over in one turn by using an impact uses the swing of the tree top quite effective.

To me, and said respectfully, it is like government saying everyone should take public transportation instead of driving because it is safer than driving....but slow, and when you need to move something big you cannot, and it breaks and can cause catastrophic situations, and is bulky, and costly, only good for select instances, and not the ideal solution--if it was the ideal solutions fellers would not have to be forced to use it, they would buy it and use it because doing so is smart. (not all fellers, but a growing number would spread the word)

If I pay attention to what I'm doing I very seldom have to use my plastic ORANGE felling wedges to prevent a pinched bar or to fell a tree in a certain direction.
But I very seldom cut anything over 20 inches in diameter.

Back