A pair of Solos--oldies but goodies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Been sitting on these 2 for a bit. The 70 was an easy one to get going, just needed a carby rebuild and off it went. Auto (pressurized tank using a special check valve) and manual oilers work great. The Rex 125 required more attention. Had some serious crank bearing issues which I addressed. New mains and seals, rebuilt carb and fuel lines. Currently, though, the 125 has some ignition issues and doesn't really want to wind up with the throttle--I'm betting the condensor is at fault. Sure starts easily enough. If you think the 125 looks ruff now, it was a real peach when I got it.

I get a kick out of these things. These saws have personality that modern saws are sorely lacking.

The 125:

That's a Homelite bar, straight off a C-series. Didn't have to do a thing other than file the slot a touch. Dang thing has a 7/16" sprocket and I only have 1 loop of that stuff that got tossed into a box. Got lucky and had a bar to fit.

solo125_3.jpg

solo125_2.jpg

solo125_1.jpg

The 70:

That muffler has got some style. Another Homelite bar complete with serial number.

solo70_1.jpg

Emblem on the cover is in good shape.

solo70_2.jpg

Sweeeeet, Glad you got going.

Lee

Once I made up my idea to dive into it, didn't take long to fix it up.

Chris- the Rex sounds really good. Do you have an idea of the RPM range it's topping out at?

Solo sure did make some stylish saws back in the day.

Other than what the specs might say, not a clue on the RPM.

I have to get the ignition squared away and maybe I'll tach it.

Solo was way ahead of the curve in the use of polymers for chain saws, and they had some style to boot.

Nice saws Chris.

Mark

The Rex certainly is a goofy looking saw.

The 70 feels comfortable to use, if somewhat heavy. The later versions of this saw (635, 642, etc) actually use more metal and less plastic. Go figure.

Chris, that sure does sound like a ign problem on the Rex. Glad to hear it running. Maybe throw a Nova module on it just to isolate the points and condensor?

I enjoyed running the 70 that day, it surpised me at how strong it was and is not as heavy as I thought it would be.

Cant wait to try Rex out. We will probably have to put that chain on the grinder though?

Well different looking anyway. One thing for sure its put together kinda goofy. Those nuts on the cyl studs sure looked like a treat to put back on.

I didn't have your little channel-lock pliers so I snugged it as far as I could with my right angle wrench, tapped the nut around with a punch, and tightened some more. Maybe with the carb off I could get to the backside of the nut, but that leaves the problem of dealing with the carb nuts.:bang:

I have a Nova module specially for this saw. The soldered connections on the condensor don't look like much fun, though.

Chris B.

Swapped in a Nova module for the 125. Bit tricky fitting it all under the rotor, but the saw runs out beautifully now. No hesitation when I hit the throttle. Still don't know about the RPM, but it sounds peakier than some PP or Clinton or whatever.

Found another, more serious problem. One of the plastic starter pawls turned up broken when I pulled the housing. The other is holding, but I don't know about the long term. Time to start looking for a set.

Cool saws Chris. Don't see those around here.....:cheers:

That's a fact. Ought to turn heads. Have a nice little cackle at idle, particularly the 125.

Cacky sound indeed !!!

I've killed a lot of time myself getting some of these going :hmm3grin2orange:

Just out of curiosity, have you ran across a Super Rex?

From what it sounds like, they might actually be as rare or more rare than a Contra Lightening S.

CBfarmall, you got some good old iron. Thanks for showing us and giving us a clip of it running. I like the idle of that beast.

Chris, hold on, I'll run out to the shop to see if I have a set of Solo starter pawls :ices_rofl:

:bang: Yeah right. Good luck with that search.

Good to hear its running well now for the next time I see it I want to try it out.

Chris, the 125 looks freakish! :msp_mellow: Iv'e always liked the looks of the 70. Cool looking old saw. Kind of like the old j-reds. Great job on getting them going!

Chris, hold on, I'll run out to the shop to see if I have a set of Solo starter pawls :ices_rofl:

:bang: Yeah right. Good luck with that search.

Good to hear its running well now for the next time I see it I want to try it out.

Give me a call and let me know when you find them. Remember those goofy things I showed you the other day?

Anyway, I may have found some. Solo lists pawls for the 635 which look very much the same. I took a chance and ordered a few.

Chris B.

Just out of curiosity, have you ran across a Super Rex?

From what it sounds like, they might actually be as rare or more rare than a Contra Lightening S.

CBfarmall, you got some good old iron. Thanks for showing us and giving us a clip of it running. I like the idle of that beast.

I have found at least ten of these Rex's but none of them was a super. They are really rarer than a hen's tooth, might as well say ghost saw. Still lookin though ;)

Give me a call and let me know when you find them. Remember those goofy things I showed you the other day?

Anyway, I may have found some. Solo lists pawls for the 635 which look very much the same. I took a chance and ordered a few.

Chris B.

Yes I do remember them but didnt look all that closely. Seems since you have one good one that maybe we could cut some new ones out of aluminum?

Maybe not?

Nice looking saws Chris. :msp_thumbup:

Thanks.

Yes I do remember them but didnt look all that closely. Seems since you have one good one that maybe we could cut some new ones out of aluminum?

Maybe not?

Let me get the spares and see what they look like. I believe the originals were steel with nylon fingers, so I may only have to redo part of it.

Chris B.

Back