A perhaps slightly different question about Chainsaw Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ap1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I'm pretty new here, but I've spent the last few weeks reading the vast wealth of knowledge here. This a great site.

One thing I haven't found a discussion on is the effect various modifications may or may not have on a chainsaw's longevity. I'm aware that chainsaws are manufactured with more than just performance in mind. Emissions, fire hazard potential, noise, and other things intended to save us from ourselves go into the equation.

I have an MS290 which I'd like to mod once the warranty runs out, but I'm still a bit hesitant doing anything other than the simple spark arrestor removal. Do things such as Muffler porting tend to shorten the life of an engine? I can conceive that it might actually help to prolong engine life, considering that the engine would be breathing more freely, but I don't have any hard evidence either way.

Is there a point at which certain basic mods begin to trade off engine life in exchange for more power; say for example, getting into carb mods, etc.

If doing a muffler mod, is it necessary to adjust, or even mod the carb?

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice, etc.

AP

If doing a muffler mod, is it necessary to adjust, or even mod the carb?

AP

YES!

Anything you do to increase breathing is going to lean out the mixture, causing the saw to run hotter and faster, both bad for longevity. That even applies to removing the spark arrestor.

The first thing you buy is a tachometer so you'll know what is going on. Adjust the carb so the engine runs at the correct rpm at full throttle. If you then remove the spark arrestor screen , the revs wil increase, which shortens the life of the saw, so you have to richen the mixture to bring the revs back down to spec. Other mods to open up the muffler work the same.

With a tach you can experiment with confidence and see what actually works. Without one you are playing with fire and asking for trouble.

PS, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
I see a well know mechanic monitoring this thread, so you will get some expert advice pretty soon; thus I'll only make one aside.

One of the things I've found out at my elevation of 5400-6500' is you have to 'lean' out the carb some at these elevations. Then when you do a muffler mod or other mods, you need to 'richen' the carb adjustment. Tachs are useful tools; so is the ear, etc. but one item I've noticed over the years, is after you make all these mods and adjustments, be sure to periodically check the 'color' of your plug; as I've noticed some of mine revealed that the carb adjustment was actually too rich even though it otherwise seemed to be properly tuned. Good luck and listen closely to the experts who will soon be posting in reply to your query. And there are numerous threads on this if you do a bunch of searches.

PS Hi Dave and Kit

Last edited:
Hi, I'm pretty new here, but I've spent the last few weeks reading the vast wealth of knowledge here. This a great site.

One thing I haven't found a discussion on is the effect various modifications may or may not have on a chainsaw's longevity. .

Welcome aboard!
Actually, longevity on a modded saw gets discussed here, kinda between the lines, or other topics so to speak. Seems the consensus is that the saw breathes easier, runs cooler, so it should last longer. Whether that's true or not you'll have to decide for yourself. ;)
On the other hand, there are lots of threads about modded saws and mufflers but not lots of threads about modded saws breaking or actually suffering premature wear/death.

Dubai Vol: YES!

:lol That was emphatic enough! And an excellent response all around!

A tach is definitely in order.

My primary reason for wanting to mod it is so I can put a longer bar on it, and perhaps even a mini chainsaw mill. From what I've gathered the 290 is probably minimally capable of using for occasional milling. I'd want to add enough more power to help minimize it overworking, but I'm not looking to trick into a "competition" saw.

I really wish I had gone with the 390. That was one of those rare occasions where I tried to be restrained in choosing what I would actually need, not just the best saw I could afford. I love the 290 but I now realize you can never have too much power.

Is that "Vol" in your name because you're from Tennessee? I was born and lived in Knoxville for my first ten years.

Thanks for comprehensive lowdown. That definitely sets me in the right direction.

AP

Is that "Vol" in your name because you're from Tennessee?

AP

Yep. Born in UT Medical Center. Granparents, parents, and I all went to UTK.My first words were "GO BIG ORANGE!"

FWIW I have a small Alaskan mill for my Husky 359, and had amazingly good results with rip chain. Don't even think about using crossut chain! Milling's said to be hard on a saw, though. You'll definitely want to make sure it's not running lean.

WT, Trimmed, thanks for the welcome and the responses.

Sorry I took so long to get back. I live in western PA and I got sidetracked watching the Penguins crush the Flyers. Go Pens!

And yes Vol, GO BIG ORANGE!

Trim raised the issue that increasing air flow has a cooling effect and thus would seem to cause the engine to run cooler. Vol says otherwise. This has been a point of confusion for me. I think more air flow certainly has a cooling effect but that effect might be more than offset by the increased leanness and higher revs. In short, any mods I do will be limited to the least disruptive changes, probably just removing the spark arrestor and adjusting the carb accordingly.

WT mentioned periodically checking the plug for color, something which might seem obvious to those in the know. I know about it too but I confess I had not yet gotten that far along in my mod thinking. Good tip, thanks for the reminder.

Vol, I was born at Fort Sanders Hospital. I'm not even sure if that one is still around. As young as I feel and act, it's hard to believe it was over 46 years ago.

I remember watching Bobby Majors and later, Condredge Holloway play for the Vols. I remember Doug ####ey being replaced by Bill Battle. Battle's son, Pat was a friend and classmate of mine in 4th grade at Cedar Bluff, the last year I lived in Knoxville. The last time I was in Knoxville was about 10 years ago for my Mamaw's funeral in Jacksboro. Sorry to digress, but I have very fond memories of my years there.

One final word to everyone: I originally found this site while looking for information of tree climbing and rigging. I believe though that this might well be the most comprehensive site for all things having to do with landscaping. I've been a stay at home dad for a few years now, and have used that as an opportunity to learn and become fairly proficient at a number of skills. Chainsaws, skidsteers and their various attachments, back hoes, now tree climbing.

There's so much good information here I feel like a blind dog in a meat market.

Thanks everyone!

AP

lol I just noticed Doug's last name is a curse word!

Last edited:
too bad you americans didn't want doug and good for us as he came to toronto argonauts for a few years and then bailed out the bills:cheers: anyway if you have an e-tec saw like my 2159 was, it ran like crap until i had the full woods port job done

Ft Sanders is still there: I've walked past on my way to tailgate parties.

As for running cooler with more airflow, possibly, but ONLY if the mixture is richened to account for the extra air. More air+the same fuel=lean=hotter.

It's been a while since I balanced a combustion equation in thermodynamics class, but I know that part from other sources as well. Leaning out a 2-stroke at high rpm=bad, burned-piston, siezed-engine bad.

The way basic beginner (that's me) saw tuning works is you use the mixture to set the max rpms. With the tach you set the mixture so that the engine 4-strokes at WOT at the correct rpm. That mixture might be a little rich at working revs in the cut, and if you never hold WOT (wide-open-throttle) with no load, you may be able to get away with leaning the mixture out so it's not too rich at your working rpms in the cut. That's advanced stuff, and may be worth a bit of power if you can read a plug. I'll defer to the experts on all that; for a working saw I set it up on the conservative side.

woodfarmer, indeed! I didn't know Coach D went to Toronto! That's interesting.

And since you mention CFL and beer, I first visited Canada in 1983 with my brother. We were young, crazy and huge fans of the bands Rush and Max Webster and SCTV, so we thought Canada would be a cool place to visit. It was. We visited Toronto and Ottawa. As we drove into Ottowa some guys in the car driving next to us honked and handed us a beer out the window. We ended up going out drinking with them that night, met the doorman at one of the bars, and we ended up going to a Ottawa/Saskatchewan game with him a couple of nights later. I like CFL football. It's a more open game.

Hospitable folks, you Canadians. That was one of the funnest trips I've taken. :cheers:

DV, I read your response. You're touching on some interesting points. I'll be back after I've absorbed them a bit.

Back