A question for all you guys that sharpen chisel chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-- the only change being the switch to the next smaller file size when the tooth is about half gone.

That comment just earned you some rep ! Thanks for the tip !

'They' don't tell you that. I started doing it when the hook did not look right on some well worn chain. I have also stepped the wheel down one size (3/16" to 1/8") on some older .325 chain for the same reason - probably would not do that when grinding older 3/8" chain.

Philbert

'They' don't tell you that. I started doing it when the hook did not look right on some well worn chain. I have also stepped the wheel down one size (3/16" to 1/8") on some older .325 chain for the same reason - probably would not do that when grinding older 3/8" chain.

Philbert
I step down from 5.5mm to 5.2 mm on 3/8" Oregon chain, at the last part of the top-plate. :msp_smile:

I step down from 5.5mm to 5.2 mm on 3/8" Oregon chain, at the last part of the top-plate.

Those are file sizes Nikko (7/32 and 13/64). With grinder wheels we only have 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, and 5/16 commonly available. Always surprised that they don't match the file sizes closer, especially, since 3/8" chain is so common.

Normally grind 3/8" chain with a 3/16" wheel - dropping down to 1/8 would leave a really small hook, unless you did it in several bites!

Philbert

Those are file sizes Nikko (7/32 and 13/64). With grinder wheels we only have 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, and 5/16 commonly available. Always surprised that they don't match the file sizes closer, especially, since 3/8" chain is so common.
Philbert

When I got my Dinasaw ABN/CBN wheels made up I got them in 3.5mm, 4.5mm, and 7mm for depth guages. They make them in whatever size you want but not quite so easy with the standard wheels, or as cheap :(

Howdy,
The 10° angle not only makes a sharper point, it makes the edges of the plates sharper.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
The 10° angle not only makes a sharper point, it makes the edges of the plates sharper.
Regards
Gregg

I try to look at what I am doing, and follow the edge - simple as that. I don't have a specific tilt angle in my head, but of course a top plate angle (different story).

Back