A question for Saw Mod guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grande Dog

Grande Dog

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Howdy,
The main reason it isn't done at the factory is because performance base mass production is extremely expensive. How much do you think your saws would cost if Ole, and Otto were at the factory twisting them together one at a time with the tolerances required to produce the performance you're talking about?
Regards
Gregg

locofrog

locofrog

ArboristSite Operative
Lets not forget These saws are mass produced. Manufacturing flaws ect. Will be present. Also, these saws are made for the masses, and therefore, need to be generalized so to speak. I'm just glad they leave us room to play.

Loco

tolman_paul

tolman_paul

ArboristSite Guru
What the saw companies want is a product that will reliably work in a variety of conditions. If their customers are constantly taking the saws back to their dealer saying they don't run right or with stuck pistons, it's bad for the manufacturer. Hence they choose porting durations and compression ratios that will work for a variety of fuels and air densities.

The saw nut on the other hand doesn't think twice about tweaking the needles on his carb. He knows if the saw is running rich or lean by sound and feel and tweaking the carb is second nature.

To me that is the big reason, a more highly tuned saw in relation to port durations and higher compression ratio has a smaller tollerance for the carb being too rich or too lean. The average saw user wouldn't tollerate frequent tweaks to the carb, the saw enthusiast doesn't even think twice.

treesmith

treesmith

tree hugger/cutter
If a magnum sticker adds 20% I can't wait till those Baumr saws on fleabay start coming with MisterMined Mangum stickers. According to the ad they are already class leading commercial grade saws and all for $3.50!

I saw a docco on cheap rubbish where they strength test a Stihl against a cheapese and this thing just disintegrates, fake Britain on YouTube iirc

Sorry, hijack over

flyboy553

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Hey, thanks for all the replies! Most of 'em were good answers! Some? Not so much!:dizzy:

I remember many muscle cars that came from the factory modded, and modded quite nicely in fact. Even today yet, some cars come highly tuned. Our race sleds that came from the factory were not available to Joe Public, but they were completely modified when we received them.

I knew that EPA would pretty much put a stop to any chance of a factory mod happening now. But it is still fun to think about.

With CAD/CAM systems that are out there now, I wouldn't see a problem mass machining to super tight specs. They do it every day in lots of applications more important than a chainsaw! Where any failure of a part is catastrophic to a million dollar machine,

I do agree that you would want a more experienced operator than normal, just as you would in any muscle car or bike.

Once again, thanks for the discussion! It's been enjoyable to say the least!

Ted

HuskStihl

HuskStihl

Chairin'em for the sound
The saw companies aren't making saws for us. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet the vast majority of pro saws are not used by pros. I can't think of any factory car that was anywhere near max output off the assembly line. Increasing the power of any motor will increase stress on downstream components. Increasing power will decrease longevity of some components. I was and am more than happy with that trade off:rock:

exSW

ArboristSite Guru
Those old Muscle cars a real good example.40plus year old cars are now turning times that were unheard of back in the day.Most of it come from tire, suspension and ignition technology that was unheard of back then.Plus the 40 years of trial and error test and tunes.Most inspired basic designs are just that, basic.C,Y and TJ Jeeps,1911 pistols,Stoners original battle rifle(especially) all have come into their own because people crafted on them to bring out the underlying genius that got covered up by mass production and regulation.

ndlawrence

ndlawrence

ArboristSite Guru
If a magnum sticker adds 20% I can't wait till those Baumr saws on fleabay start coming with MisterMined Mangum stickers. According to the ad they are already class leading commercial grade saws and all for $3.50!

I saw a docco on cheap rubbish where they strength test a Stihl against a cheapese and this thing just disintegrates, fake Britain on YouTube iirc

Sorry, hijack over

[video=youtube;wFZcLouaRwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFZcLouaRwI[/video]

Andyshine77
Hey, thanks for all the replies! Most of 'em were good answers! Some? Not so much!:dizzy:

I remember many muscle cars that came from the factory modded, and modded quite nicely in fact. Even today yet, some cars come highly tuned. Our race sleds that came from the factory were not available to Joe Public, but they were completely modified when we received them.

I knew that EPA would pretty much put a stop to any chance of a factory mod happening now. But it is still fun to think about.

With CAD/CAM systems that are out there now, I wouldn't see a problem mass machining to super tight specs. They do it every day in lots of applications more important than a chainsaw! Where any failure of a part is catastrophic to a million dollar machine,

I do agree that you would want a more experienced operator than normal, just as you would in any muscle car or bike.

Once again, thanks for the discussion! It's been enjoyable to say the least!

Ted

You're spot on and I hope my honest input helped.

I also agree we need less of the sophomoric posts, it's wearing thin.

VinceGU05

VinceGU05

PSA vitim.
Okay, so you mod the muffler and port the engine. The wood cutting part is done and over with.

Now, it's time to split it. Any way to speed up a log splitter. From what I have seen and heard, they're really slow.....I mean really slow. :popcorn:

to get the most out of yr ported saw, use it to split the wood.:D