A question for Stihl guys and also anti-Asian folk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This discussion is all the same and predictable, but as a "student" of things
that are more interesting, I will note this:

If racial slang/slurs/etc. were posted here against any other "minority/race"
other than Oriental, or Arabic, they would probably be banned, or at least
warned.

Just something to think about..................

Uhm... I haven't seen any slurs. I personally have cautioned that the Chinese are as good as any other race / ethnicity. Though the one guy did make fun of the way they talk. I guess that was uncalled for.

That we have a massive trade deficit with China and that the Chinese Government holds a lot of US debt is pure fact. There's nothing racial about it.

I have known a number of Chinese people. They were hard working, smart, honest and easy to get along with. They all spoke a lot better english than I speak mandarin.

I don't quite get the same warm and fuzzy feeling for the Chinese Government. But then I'm not crazy about our Government either.

Sorry, I can't find the smilie for **** stirrer

"I sell American, Brazilian, Turkish, Indian stuff if it actually works Sorry.....no Chinese items available for shipment all Chinese items must be picked up at our Vermont location"

The last bit is directed at our resident whiner Calvin, yes?

Last edited:
Why did you start it PES+?

My points can be summarized as, "the Chinese making Stihls is the least of our worries" and "the Chinese are as capable as anyone and if it were in their interest they could make a saw as good as the Germans, Swedes or whoever"

Granted, a lot of chinese made merchandise is crap. My advise is don't buy it. I don't like crap merchandise and I sure as hell don't like the Chinese Government.

That said, it's almost impossible to find merchandise that is not made in China.

No.....Ask Calvin...we have talked on the phone together.

It is directed at so many who dismiss products that people have spent time testing and collaborating on that people pronounce as "junk" without ever having tried the product.

ALL saw manufacturers have MANY parts of their "pro" saws made in China so the assumption that all China produced goods are "junk" and that all Chinese business men are dishonest is flawed logic and counter productive to actually keeping this business that we love from slipping into a small group totalitarian brands where we HAVE to buy THEIR product and go to THEM ONLY for parts and service.

Greed is greed and people suffer from it no matter what the country

This fits in with my question of what happened to the 038 kits that Baileys was selling......

IF they were still offered by Stihl it would be one thing........but to my knowledge they are not so why berate Baileys for offering what they did?

You can boycott products 'till your blue in the face, You can cry about NAFTA all you want, You can cry all you want about American jobs being sent over seas, but the fact is it's the way things are. You can blame politicians all you want but look no further than the companies that lobbied for and bought off the politicians to pass regulation like NAFTA (and got their way). This "world economy" is here to stay and if you want to survive as an American, you need to join the "world economy" by investing some of your savings in international funds. It's the only hedge the American worker has. No union, politician, or business entity cares about the welfare of "American" workers or products being "made in America". Sad... but true. The American worker has been sold down the river!

Nobody is saying that the Chinese people are inferior, just the crappy imitation products that are being produced in China and marketed in North America. I think that if the truth was known the owners or major shareholders of the Chinese companies that are building this crap are not Chinese.

There is no doubt that China will become a stronger player and their quality will improve like Japan. I fear the hard times ahead for the North American manufactures and workers, but we are doing it to ourselves by buying for price rather than quality.

I miss the days of feeling good about owning my Lawn Boy lawn mower and Pioneer chainsaw that were built 30 miles from my door. Both are still going strong but have been retired to the cottage with my outboards that were also Canadian made.

Do you know what became of the tooling from the Pioneer plant?

I always look for stuff like that.....and have chased stuff right to the docks with the scrap dealers refusing to sell me the stuff at a premium to scrap price because they could not be bothered to take the time to let me unload the truck

Nobody is saying that the Chinese people are inferior, just the crappy imitation products that are being produced in China and marketed in ...

I think that's the point of this thread. This is a case where the product isn't crappy or third rate. PES+ chose this example as it's about as hard hitting as it could be on this board. "Stihl" made in China by little slanty eyed chinamen!!

Yep, exactly right, made to the same standards with the same quality management so what could you possible find fault with?

I think that's the point of this thread. This is a case where the product isn't crappy or third rate. PES+ chose this example as it's about as hard hitting as it could be on this board. "Stihl" made in China by little slanty eyed chinamen!!

Yep, exactly right, made to the same standards with the same quality management so what could you possible find fault with?

I can't argue the fact that the brand is not "crap" but will the product produced be of the same quality as German built or the same quality as Chinese built?

No slurs here too.

I remember when Japanese stuff was junk. There was a Saturday Night Live skit with the Samurai swords. John Belushi and someone else clashed swords and busted them. They look at the pieces and say "MADE IN........JAPAN!" I wouldn't have given you a nickel for anything Japanese. Now I own a Komatsu. I've had 3 Toyota 4x4s'.
I found a lighted screw driver that must have belonged to Grampa. Made in Japan. The colet that holds the driver bit looks like it was cut by hand...by eye...in a hurry! It reminds me of something made in China today. What a POS! I ordered a $60 reman clutch disk for our '79 F-150 today. I couldn't order a new one made in the US from the local Napa. I used to talk people out of reman clutches. Too many comebacks. Now, I'd rather chance a US reman disk for sixty bucks then a brand new whole kit for $140, made in China. I've fallen for it 4 times all ready! What does that make me? A dam SUCKER! Remember when it was $500 in parts and machine work to do a quality clutch job? How the heck do you buy one for $140 in todays dollars? Some thing's wrong. The frigin' parts...that's what!
I put two China clutches in my bosses K-1500 before I caught on. I tried it two more times with assurances from the parts man. I AIN'T doin' it again! Four wheel drive clutches are no fun. It'll be 20 years before I trust China junk. That's about how long it took the Japanese.

Latest posts

Back