a "Saturday in Retirement"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After finally getting our splitter back together and taking it for a real short test run hubby & I took a 40 minute drive south of here to a TSC store for new fire brick for our wood stove. We finally found a wood stove we could afford on Craig's List but we need a few things for it. The install will take some time and will be installed as money permits. The stove is still sitting on the trailer, tarped over, waiting for a couple of our sons to bring their muscle over and wrangle it off the trailer and into the house.

Anyway, driving south of here along a winding country road, there was a farm house. I got so excited when I thought he had piles of wood near the road (like we need any more wood right now! Ha!) Anyway, as we got closer I began to realize I really should get to the eye doctor - what I thought was wood piles were actually rock piles! :)

Continuing along on our trip, I soon realized how many acres of oaks there were along the highway. I tried hard to keep my eyes on the road as I was driving but my eyes kept roaming the fields looking for deadfall. (Ach! I have "Wood Fever" and you fellas gave it to me!):)

Got to TSC and wandered over to the chainsaw aisle and got a feel of a Wild Thing..... hmmm $139.... hmm... Nope, gotta get the wood split that we have and gotta get the stove installed.

Got back home, fire in the fireplace had died down. Tossed a few logs on the fire and made sure the grate fan was running. Furnace was shut off this morning, it was in the mid 30's today and the main living area is at 70 degrees (nice!).

All in all, just a nice, comfy "Saturday in Retirement".

What did you do today?

Shari

Last edited:
I shoveled snow from the shop around to the office/other wood pile, so I could move a desk this weekend, sometime? I did fire up the stove in the "man cave", I think I need to go check on it. All in all, it was not that exciting, but I got something done at least!
It keeps snowing after it all melts, damn, I just want to go cut wood!

nice, glad you didnt buy the wild thing. save up a bit more and but the 359 they carry insted. i didnt do too much the wifes been sice for 3 days. so i been takin care of her but i think im getting it now. hopefully not but well see. i got some parts in for the 066 so i worked on that and took it out and played with it a bit. also cut up some skids so i can fit em in the insert.

oh yeah i went to the stihl dealer and picked up a 36" bar. man that things huge. then went to tsc myself, i didnt find anything but saw they carried the 359 :)

I went to TSC today too! :clap::clap: Didn't buy anything though :(

But really our day after chocolate chip pancakes consisted of driving around trying to find a store that still had Wall-E stocked for our purchasing pleasure :D

Hey.......... I was at TSC today too. I'm surprised I didn't bump into one of you. They had all insulated Carhart clothing 50% off........... I spent some money !!!

Racked about 2 cords of oak/cherry I had cut and split in to a "mountain" prior to the snow last month. Have another cord to get stacked tomorrow and then have Presidents day off to get out and cut some more. Farmer that lets me cut on his land had 2 nice 16"-18" dbh red oaks come down in the recent wind storm. :clap:

It was around 40 today so I spent the day installing two DirecTV HD dish antennas for family. Our locals are now broadcast on one the DirecTV birds, so figured it was easier to do that than install the digital to analog cable boxes. Borrowed a Bird Dog from a friend of mine, made pointing the new Slimline 3 fairly easy, about 2 minutes each dish.

My FIL loaded a trailer with about 4 cord of 'soft' wood, heading to the saw mill for shredding or chips this week. I think he gets $75 a cord.

Other than stiring the OWB this AM and PM, and throwing on some small stuff, not much wood excitment for me this Saturday.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha, the scenery is totally different when you have the wood bug! Glad to hear you got the spitter back together. Once you have the stove installed you will be set. Unfortunately the stove is only part of the cost. I couldn't believe the prices of the chimney pieces. :dizzy:

We have been getting snow every day here. I spent the day moving snow around and getting ready for a big storm that is supposed to hit tomorrow. We have 20" on the ground now and its getting hard finding places to put the snow when plowing.
Dok

<--------Drove past TSC, they were open but didn't have time to stop.:cry:
<--------Is also looking for down trees......should be watching the road!

Last edited:
So.... the tally so far is:

5 out of 11 posters said they were at TSC today
1 out of 11 posters did a 'TSC Drive-by'

Heh! Heh! TSC must be the place to go on a Saturday!

Shari

Wanted to get to TSC today, wound up going the other direction for welding supplies, Mills Fleet Farm and Menards got my money today, along with my welder buddy. Almost got the splitter finished, had to cut the entire wedge and prior cobblings off and start over. Took quite a bit longer than I had hoped, and of course I forgot to bring the D#$M camera with for step by step pics.

Picked up a set of Stanley Earmuff AM/FM radio combo at Menards for $32 today, then saw that FF has the Worktunes ones that I've been looking for for not much more.

Steve

Latest posts

Back