A "Saw Safety" Thing most wouldn't consider

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good video, I bought a pair of Arbor Wear pants a few years ago or so, love them. Never worn chaps, never could get over how stupid they look. The pants solve a safety issue and don't look stupid which is a win win.

He makes some nice points and I like my cloggers, but still feel a good set of chaps will give adequate protection for most users. The chaps I have wrap around quite a bit farther around the leg then the pair he had on amd have full calf wraps. They are very hot and suck to wear, but I really never felt any more or less protected then I do wearing the pants.

Outstanding
Very good video, I bought a pair of Arbor Wear pants a few years ago or so, love them. Never worn chaps, never could get over how stupid they look. The pants solve a safety issue and don't look stupid which is a win win.

Outstanding. Thx for sharing

Yeah, PPE pants are a better idea for sure, but the chaps fit the bill of "better than nothing" for most.

That was a great video, thanks for posting that up.

Function over style..... Its WAAAY to hot to wear pants here, no matter the time of the year, so Chaps are what i buy and use, and supply to others working with me.

You ARE wearing shorts or pants with the chaps aren't you? Yes, look stupid if all you got on under the chaps are some tighty whities, or banana hammocks.....

Chaps for vertically challenged? Any of your you thicker guys at around 5-1/2 feet have a fave chap? I currently is the old Husqvarna navy overalls in winter and generic chaps otherwise. Looking for recommendations in the less than $150

BTW Anyone else ever worn these heavy Husqvarna overalls… They are incredibly thick and heavy … and warm, but above 70° you will melt. Haha
CF48281B-E2FD-4846-ACBF-11EF01FFC0FB.jpeg
Those big chips in pic thrown on day 1 w new 500i.

Function over style..... Its WAAAY to hot to wear pants here, no matter the time of the year, so Chaps are what i buy and use, and supply to others working with me.

You ARE wearing shorts or pants with the chaps aren't you? Yes, look stupid if all you got on under the chaps are some tighty whities, or banana hammocks.....
Same here.

Chaps look stupid regardless of what you got on under them....period.

Chaps for vertically challenged? Any of your you thicker guys at around 5-1/2 feet have a fave chap? I currently is the old Husqvarna navy overalls in winter and generic chaps otherwise. Looking for recommendations in the less than $150
About three months back I bought a pair of Stihl "Dynamic" chaps- 6 layers, left front flap pocket, four wrap buckles and a waist belt buckle. Made in USA. Under $150. They are well made.

They offer different lengths.

I hate chaps, HATE EM!! Keeping the business part of a saw away from me always seemed like a problem that shouldn't exist, as in it goes without saying.. However, the penalties associated with being caught without them are an issue in places.
So I use Labbonville chap inserts.
They fit under your trousers & attach with a few snap buttons (or holes cut for suspenders to pass through).
Wouldn't use anything else.
Seriously though. How do people cut their legs open? When I've finished a cut, the starter side of the saw goes to resting against my waistline bar pointed out & to the left. Safe & sound. I briefly frequented a chainsaw facebook page where seemingly every week someone was posting pictures of their julienned leg meat. Many of them seemed to be proud of their handywork lol. I was booted from that group...

It doesn't matter how brilliant you are with a powersaw, accidents can happen. Those who believe they are immune are sadly mistaken.

On the leg protection front, I wear wrap chaps. They are not as good as pants, obviously, but the pair I just replaced this fall saved my knee effortlessly. THAT shook me up. I'm so glad I was wearing them that day. Now it is a religion. No chappy, no cutty. Along with hardhat, faceshield, muffs, etc. There's a very good reason all of that safety gear is required in the professional environment.

I know I'm not brilliant with a saw because I've worked with some of the best sawhands in the world. Every one has had close calls and some even accidents as they learned their craft. A couple died.

My cloggers are much cooler then chaps, even if wearing shorts under the chaps. I was actually quite surprised. Only thing I don't like about them is they don't have back pockets.

Latest posts

Back