A Strato World.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacLaren

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This may come across as a no-brainer, but Im goin to ask anyway as Im still very new to the chainsaw world and all. So here goes.....Will we really see the day when all saws are strato? Is there no way to avoid this? Now, please dont get me wrong, as Im not saying at all that all strato saws are bad. Im merely wandering if there is any way around it? Is there any way to please the EPA with out having to make the 80cc and above saws strato's? Or do the companys just want to make them stratos to recieve the credits? It seems to me that maybee there could be some sort of compromise.....

I suppose the trend is to make all saw models strato without a doubt, but I believe that there will be an evolution in technology and this type of engines will be more powerful and lighter. :chainsaw:

I am also a newbie in the chainsaw world and is there a thread or a table that compares pros and cons of strato engines with classic engines? thanks.

Last edited:
Weird, you say it likes its a bad thing, LOL, if all the saws are like my modded 441's, I can only hope that they are all strato'd in the future, but I'm weird like that, LOL.

Sam

Thats cool. I mean if its gotta be its gotta be. And actually is prolly a good thing considering the environment and all. I was just wandering if there was or will be enough technology to come up with a different plan. And if not thats fine too, because from what I hear these strato saws are really kickin butt! I guess I havent started a thread in a while and just needed somethin to talk about. Which in this case isnt too good cause there really isnt anything to discuss,a s thats just the way its gonna be and the strato saws are really proving themselves LOL!!

Weird, you say it likes its a bad thing, LOL, if all the saws are like my modded 441's, I can only hope that they are all strato'd in the future, but I'm weird like that, LOL.

Sam

No not a bad thing at all. I know it may come across as that. Im just wandering will technology evolve enough to see something new.......

I guess what im really after is, what the answer Im lookin for is there not any way to not add weight to the saw and still have atleast the same or more power? Because I hear a lot that they will be heavier and less powerful........Is this even true?

I guess what im really after is, what the answer Im lookin for is there not any way to not add weight to the saw and still have atleast the same or more power? Because I hear a lot that they will be heavier and less powerful........Is this even true?

My GZ4000 is strato, and if that saw is any indication I say bring it on!!!
Light and surprisingly powerful.

I only see one downside with the strato design. That is slightly less combustion chamber cooling from having the chamber purged primarily with air versus fuel mixture. For the average cutter it hasn't been a problem and the extra fuel economy is worth it.

For the racer using a very high compression engine it won't be a problem either - they'll have a second carb on the strato port running an even richer mixture to flush the heat out of the chamber.

I was cautious at first, but I now consider it a superior design.

That is pretty much how my builder was, he didn't like the 441 at first, but has since come completely around and thinks it a much more efficient design and that there is a lot of power in the strato'd design.

He does dislike the complexity of the 441, when compared to the simpler saws like the 460. I personally don't work on saws so, I could care less about the complexity, as long as it doesn't break and so far I have nothing but praise for their durability.

In stock form they get great fuel mileage, but I have to check the modded ones, as they sure eat the gas, after modding. But it takes fuel to make power, I want to check a modded 460 versus a modded 441 and see if there are much differences in the fuel efficiency department. Modded or not the Strato design is more efficient so on paper it should be better, but I'm not sure the gap is as big when modded.

We'll see,

Sam

Sam

The answer you're looking for is the soon to be released 562XP. Strato no longer neans heavy.

I only see one downside with the strato design. That is slightly less combustion chamber cooling from having the chamber purged primarily with air versus fuel mixture. For the average cutter it hasn't been a problem and the extra fuel economy is worth it.

For the racer using a very high compression engine it won't be a problem either - they'll have a second carb on the strato port running an even richer mixture to flush the heat out of the chamber.

On the new 372 x-torq design, a second carb is not necessary. The one intake design can utilize the oe carb. The more I look at this design, the more can be gained by it.

Thats cool. I mean if its gotta be its gotta be. ....

"Strato" design just seems to be the best way to please the EPA and similar regulations that is availiable at the moment - and some "Strato" designs show signs of improvement over the "first generation" ones already!

Cats and "strangled" mufflers will only go so far....... ;)

Time will tell what the future brings! :chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back