A Tale of Two 361s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serial killer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As promised:

I bought my first 361 off ebay about 6 months ago. It cost $150 + $30 shipping, but I had a 10% paypal coupon, so it was $165 shipped. It ran right out the box, especially because the goofball shipped it to me full of gas and oil. I knew as soon as I unwrapped it that it leaks a little, and that the boss for the inner dog is busted.

dscn0211ll4.jpg

But it ran like a mofo, and that was a heck of a price. I put a 20" GB Ti bar on it and took it to work. Everyone used it for about a month. It stomped the 290s and 310s that we normally ran. I found a big dog to fit on the bar cover. It was the poor man's dual dog kit.

dscn0210rt8.jpg

I had a buddy of mine who works at the local rad shop solder a 1/2" copper 90 degree elbow on the muffler to open it up a bit. Then I started playing with shorter bars. The most recent was a 16" .325 bar from Bailey's with a 9 pin sprocket. By this time, it cut like nothing I'd ever seen before and hardly anybody was allowed to use it.

dscn0208pb6.jpg

But mofos at work kept using it, and using it in inappropriate situations. They were cutting stumps with it and everything else. I decided to put some My Little Pony stickers and sparkly hearts and flowers on it, in the hopes that they would be too manly to handle my saw.

dscn0204qs8.jpg

The next day, she quit on me. It took me a while to dig deep enough to find out why. Somehow, the cylinder got busted near one of the mounting bolts. I dunno if it was dropped or banged around in the truck or something else. It has compression and will run if you dump gas in the cylinder, but it does not pump gas.

dscn0207fb5.jpg

I am currently using the cylinder as an ashtray. It's a decent conversation piece.

dscn0205ih7.jpg

This saw is not for sale. I plan on bringing her back cheap. I'm gonna go pee and then post Part II.

Hey, nice touch with the cork bicycle tape on the handlebar.:cheers: I used that on my 031 a few years back. Works great. This is the first time I have ever seen anyone else use it. Funny it is on a 361, one of the smoothest saws out there.

Part II

After finding out what a new P/C kit is worth, I decided that my options were to buy a new 361, buy a better used 361, or learn to live with a crappier saw as a daily driver. I ended up buying a very very lightly used one from the Trading Post here. As far as I'm concerned, this new one is my favorite saw ever, the price was more than fair, and 2000ssm6 is the salt of the earth.

dscn0212oq2.jpg

It came with the muffler modded according to Lakeside Andy's specs. I prefer my old one, because the exhaust doesn't burn you in the hand when you are cutting sideways.

dscn0209ae4.jpg

I've been using the 20" Stihl bar that it came with, and it cuts like a raped ape. I can't remember what I did with the 16" off the old 361 or I would have tried it out. But I get 72 link chains for free, so what the heck.

I've got the decomp valve removed, the throttle interlock taped down, and the whole handlebar wrapped with Bontrager gel cork ribbon. The wrench holder is a big hit too. She purrs. Velvety smooth. And unlike the old one, nobody else gets to touch her.

dscn0202jj4.jpg

That's where they stand today. I expect exciting things from both of them in the future.

I m not here to piss on your cheerios, but taping the throttle interlock down might bite you bad someday. That is a wonderful safety feature and is so easy to make work right its crazy. Nice saw by the way!

I m not here to piss on your cheerios, but taping the throttle interlock down might bite you bad someday. That is a wonderful safety feature and is so easy to make work right its crazy. Nice saw by the way!

It's not a CQ or whatever; it's just the regular throttle interlock. It pisses me off every once in a while, and I would rather have the extra inch and a half of cushy tape.

I think you should put some tele-tubbies stickers on there.....:cheers:

Might keep more people away...but then again you never know!!

I cleaned the bar up good on my makita 6401...and didn't have any paint i liked...and i found some pinkish purple stuff my wife had...so thats what color it got...Looks silly, but it is clean..

Back