A tip for storing logs and firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a large swath of Hammock Land at Rancho Varano, and get all types of wood. Seven kinds of Oak I've identified, Hickory, Two or three kinds of Gum, Maple, Poplar and even Beech. -and Palms of course.

I really only get after blowdowns now days since I am done clearing- I enjoy the shade.... I guess I have the luxury of not cutting anything smaller than six inches, nor do I care about crotches, I burn them whole or leave them for the forest to reclaim. If its close to my cleared areas, I burn the brush, but half the time I just stack the brush as a wildlife snag off the side of the trails.

I will cut the trees up into log length, something divisible by 16", and mostly straight, depending on its girth, bigger length for smaller diameters, and stack them into cribs. I always have older cribs ready to round and split.

I take a beer can and open it up discarding the top and bottom, (use them for shiny trail markers with roofing nail for pre dawn hunting walks into the stands) this is now my four by six inch piece of "paper" and a scratch awl or old ball point pen is enough to write tree id, and date it was felled/cut.

Then if I round them up for any reason, I can add the Round date to them. Same for splitting, I just add the date and tack that paper to the pallet pile of splits.

If I was a snow belt dweller, I'd be a scrounger and burn every single thing I could get my hands on, but I'd also know what I have too.

I don't mind living on the beach in Florida, its my home, but it simply doesn't get cold enough here to need a fireplace in my house. I bough the Hammock Land to escape beach traffic and tourism, and I like to hunt and my children used to ride MX.

Sounds like you have a fun time! Wood is also good for cooking, who knows, maybe you could sell some for that purpose in your area? Whole hog cookouts?

Funny, hogs all over Georgia..except around here. Dang odd, just odd.

Back