A wood cutting story part2...The Russians

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This past weekend I return to the site of the mammoth oak logs to see what's left and to hopefully get some more cutting time under my belt. Well, it looks like nobody's been here as those trunks were just as I'd left them previously. It's a bit overcast and rain is definitely eminent. Once again I'm there all by myself. I'm all geared up and start in on some cutting and splitting and hauling chunks to my truck parked about 20 or so yards away. Keep in mind I'm not trying to take everything. I mainly want to work on some saw cutting skills, and if I can bring home a decent load of excellent quality wood fuel too that would be a bonus.
So I'm into about an hour or so of work and it's drizzling off and on...nothing too bad weather-wise. I've got a good truckload going and as I'm carrying some chunks to the bed a car pulls up behind my truck and I can see it's a woman behind the wheel. Not thinking anything of it I continue working at my usual unhurried pace. After a few more trips to the bed of my truck she gets out of her car and starts right in explaining to me in a very thick Russian accent how her husband has spoken to the owner of the property and that he's given them sole rights to the rest of the wood. I try to tell her that the ad on craigslist is still up, and as long as it is that the wood is on a first come first serve basis. Again she tells me that her husband has made an agreement with the owner and now all the wood is theirs and that he's on his way to claim it all. Again I explain what I said to her earlier and she gives me one of those "okays". You know the kind that means ok you just wait til he gets here.

I wasn't trying to claim all the wood but I wasn't about to be chased off either. So I set about trying to finish a tricky cut that I started and she got back in her car and waited for hubby to arrive. 20 minutes later he arrives in a E150 van pulling a really nice flatbed tandem axle trailer.
I keep working on the task at hand and two fellas get out and start unloading their saw and other accessories near the trunks. They both give a friendly enough looking nod in my direction and the older guy with the saw asked me in very broken English if I was going to be taking all the wood. I smiled and told him no and that I was only taking a little at a time. All the while I could see the woman talking to the younger guy who I assumed was her husband. I kept on working and every now and then I'd see mama giving me this worried look as she's talking with hubby. I think she was expecting a shouting match or some such encounter but it never happened.

I was about done with what I'd come out to do and besides that it was starting to rain pretty steady now anyways. The one tricky cut I was working on I just left unfinished...didn't want to risk running my bar into the dirt. So I pack all my tools up all I have left to do is bust up the big chunks that I cut. The Fiskars SS made short work of those big rounds and I could see the impressed look on those guys faces as that wood simply popped apart. Well, I loaded the last bit of wood into the truck, each time having to walk right by mama who stood a bit off the path so she could keep a watchful eye on the proceedings. She was no exotic beauty by any stretch but man did she sport some very nice athletic looking legs:). Again I apologize for the lack of photos.

I figured I'd hang around and watch these guys work for awhile so I put all my gear away except for the Fiskars and sat on the porch steps out of the rain. By this time mama had had enough of standing in the rain and once she was satisfied that there would be no altercation she left the menfolk to carry on and drove off. I couldn't tell what the exact model saw the old guy had but it was a big very new looking Husky with at least a 30in bar...nice looking saw. Made my 55rancher look pretty small that's for sure. The old fella tore right into that big stuff and made very short work of most of it. These guys just weren't dressed right for the job though...just tee shirts shorts and sneakers and here I am all geared up in chaps, helmet with face shield, ear protection and steel toed boots. Oh well.

Every now and then he'd have to stop and he and the younger guy would have to try to whack the rounds off the main trunk with the hammer end of the new looking ax they brought with them. Then they'd try to split the rounds with the ax and it just wasn't happening. It was sort of amusing watching the old fella try to make oak wedges to help split some of that stuff but they weren't hard enough for one, and he wasn't making them in the right direction of the grain if you know what I mean. They just kept shattering on impact. Finally after a few frustrating attempts he eyeballed my Fiskars that I'd left leaning on the porch steps and with a big grin half asked half gestured if he could borrow it. Of course I said yes and he thanked me but when I said you're welcome to him in his native Russian that really broke what little ice may have been present!! Keep in mind guys that I'm a 49yr old 215lb black guy...so when I spoke Russian back to this guy he was floored lol!! They both asked me how I came to know Russian and I told them I work with a few folks on the job that taught me a few words here and there.

Anyway, the Fiskars blasted through that oak with no problem and they were very grateful and wound up giving me that tricky piece that I gave up on earlier and even offered me some of the stuff they cut, so it ended up being another good day for all. Sorry for the looonngg post but some of you guys might enjoy reading!!

Good day to all...

Bryan

Another good story. Good on ya for keeping a level head when talking to the 'Mrs." :clap:

Kevin

excellent, i must say you couldnt have handled the situation any better. It sounds like it would have been very easy to use a few different choice words with the Mrs. way to not roll over and let them have all the wood either. sounds like another good day cutting :greenchainsaw:

Bryan, it sounds like you would make a good diplomat. You handled that situation very well.

If you keep tackling those big oaks you're gonna have to get something bigger than that 55. LOL I don't know if you've ever cut with a bigger saw or not but they sure make those big cuts a lot easier and faster.

Are you going back for some more of it or is it all gone? That oak sure makes those winter nights a lot warmer.

Last edited:
you may enjoy your cutting sessions even more if you step up to a 70cc class saw, i would recomend either a 044 or a 7900, the reason i didnt mention a 046 which would also be a good choice is that i believe the 044 handles far better, and you cant really notice a difference in power. 7900 has impressed me and i havent even run one.

you may enjoy your cutting sessions even more if you step up to a 70cc class saw, i would recomend either a 044 or a 7900, the reason i didnt mention a 046 which would also be a good choice is that i believe the 044 handles far better, and you cant really notice a difference in power. 7900 has impressed me and i havent even run one.

:monkey:

Dude, you ought to be a writer. You took a fairly ordinary situation and made it very interesting with the level of detail you added. I could almost see the whole scenario in my mind's eye, including her legs!

If I were to have written that story it would be something like this:

Went to cut some free Craigslist wood. A snotty Russian beech with great legs stopped and gave me some lip. It rained. Her husband turned out to be OK. The fiskars came in handy. The End.

Dude, you ought to be a writer. You took a fairly ordinary situation and made it very interesting with the level of detail you added. I could almost see the whole scenario in my mind's eye, including her legs!

Went to cut some free Craigslist wood. A snotty Russian beech with great legs stopped and gave me some lip. It rained. Her husband turned out to be OK. The fiskars came in handy. The End.

Brevity is the soul of wit,Dude.

great story thombat!

i wish i ran into more black guys in the outdoors.hunting,fishing,busting logs,etc.you guys are a blast to hang out with.i'm sick of all this stereotype racial BS.my last big job customer was black and he was the best customer i could ask for.he's also a pole climber for AT&T and a workaholic..he was amazed at me leaving the main stalk and going out on limbs.

you handled that situation well but i'd still have had Sam Colt hidden away nearby.

Excellent story! :cheers: You are one hell of a man to be able to maintain like that and to also loan your tools speaks volumes of your character. :clap:

Thanks fellas...

Glad I didn't bore too many of yous guys lol:)

Now then, in response to the comments in order:

I just love a happy ending. :)

So do I...which is why I'll continue to seek out the good that's in most of us.

Another good story. Good on ya for keeping a level head when talking to the 'Mrs."

Thanks Kev...besides, if it were my wife trying to protect a pile of potential firewood for me I'd hope she would be treated respectfully too.

yep, another good story.

not long at all and was a good read.

thanks for posting it up!

Chris glad to hear you enjoyed it. I don't feel so bad about posting now.

excellent, i must say you couldnt have handled the situation any better. It sounds like it would have been very easy to use a few different choice words with the Mrs. way to not roll over and let them have all the wood either. sounds like another good day cutting

Thanks BarkBuster,
Seems folks have a way of softening up when they see that you're willing to help them out too.

Bryan, it sounds like you would make a good diplomat. You handled that situation very well.

If you keep tackling those big oaks you're gonna have to get something bigger than that 55. LOL I don't know if you've ever cut with a bigger saw or not but they sure make those big cuts a lot easier and faster.

Are you going back for some more of it or is it all gone? That oak sure makes those winter nights a lot warmer.

Appreciate the kind words danrclem...I would love to get my mitts on a bigger saw one of these days. You're absolutely right tho because the big Husky those guys were using did a superb job on those monster trunks. Even tho I live in the heart of the city there's a lot of very old and very huge oaks and maples in the neighborhood. So the supply of good wood so far has been excellent!! As far as goin' back for more, it appears those two guys were able to get everything left that was worth gettin'.

Good on you for taking the high road. Sometimes it takes more effort, but the view is always worth it.

+1 BluCllrSchlr, I think I actually prefer to take the road less traveled.

If funding ever permits I will absolutely be in the market for a more powerful saw! Lately all I seem to be cutting is fatboy logs and trunks and a 20in bar only goes so far.

Hey Bryan-

Great story!

They way you talk about your "trusty Friskars" makes me want to go out an get one!

Enjoy the wood and the pleasure of feeding the home fires...for free!!

Rob

Rob, happy to hear you liked it. To tell you the truth, buying that Fiskars splitter was the best $35 I've spent in a long time. I truly have fun using that thing, it's a blast!! We supplement our woodburning with kerosene heaters and still come out a lot cheaper than paying for natural gas. I will keep this up for as long as I'm able to.

Great story.There will be novels written with Craigslist as the central theme.

I don't doubt it one bit coog...

I guess I am fortunate enough to have never been in the position where there was that much "competition" for a downed tree. I suppose were it me, we'd have decided if it were "his" or "mine" and then cut accordingly...:)

Definately fortunate there MNGuns...I wouldn't mind giving that non-competitive aspect a shot once in awhile.

trapshooter your version of the story really cracked me up lol!! That was funny as heck!! Your comment about the level of detail is appreciated too...I was hoping you guys would be able to "see" what was happening. thanks

Good story. Keep em coming!

Thanks Laird...btw that avatar of yours always cracks me up!

i wish i ran into more black guys in the outdoors.hunting,fishing,busting logs,etc.you guys are a blast to hang out with.i'm sick of all this stereotype racial BS.my last big job customer was black and he was the best customer i could ask for.he's also a pole climber for AT&T and a workaholic..he was amazed at me leaving the main stalk and going out on limbs.

you handled that situation well but i'd still have had Sam Colt hidden away nearby.

Thanks fishercat, you're probably a blast to hang out with too! After all, we're all sons of Adam if you believe what the Good Book says. I don't think we're born hating one another...seems to be something we're taught.

Excellent story! :cheers: You are one hell of a man to be able to maintain like that and to also loan your tools speaks volumes of your character.

Thank you Baldman for those encouraging words and glad you enjoyed my "Tales from da Hood".

As I've stated in the past when I was very new to this site and to woodburning and chainsaws...the major majority of you guys sound like you'd be great to have as neighbors and friends. I don't post all that much but I'm always reading and learning from you guys.

Thombat,you're right.we are taught that.

pretty damn sad if you ask me.

you're welcome here anytime you're out this way.

Latest posts

Back