A wood stove idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was brainstorming recently. Sometimes thats a good thing and sometimes it is not a good thing! What are your thoughts on this idea?

I was considering taking a 55gal steel drum, and buying the vogelzang barrel kit. Instead of doing it like prescribed by them, I was going to have the drum stand upright. Weld on some sheetmetal to make the vogelzang door attachable to the drum and then mount the legs on the bottom of the drum. Exhaust the smoke out the top and out the side of the wall of the house.

I was considering using cinder blocks as my fire protection barrier on the 3 sides and bottom of the barrel.

With the dead air space the blocks provide, I figured it would not be such a bad idea?

What do you guys think? The sister in law lost her natural gas heat, and I figured if this is a doable thing I would let her have the natural gas wall heater.

I have a freind that heats his house with a barrel kit. Works half decent but he always smells like a campfire when hes around. even his car smells like it too.

IN THE HOUSE???????? NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Personaly I could not sleep with any "barrel stove" chugging away in my house. I don't want to see any "I burned my house down threads" on here. Craigs list is your friend if money is an issue. Good luck.

IN THE HOUSE???????? NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Personaly I could not sleep with any "barrel stove" chugging away in my house. I don't want to see any "I burned my house down threads" on here. Craigs list is your friend if money is an issue. Good luck.

:agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2:

One of the Cabins at the Scout Camp I went to as a kid had one of those things. Put off a lot of heat but it was scetchy to say the least.

Back