Aaron's place

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job Harry :msp_thumbup:

Weather here sure has changed alot cooler the foothills got a dusting of snow (you can see it in the distance)

They've been talking up "rain" and "snow" over here tomorrow for several days now. Guess what. The late news has it as "tomorrow Clear" - no a mention of the 'winter storm' crap they had been ballyhooing.

Looks like I get to finish up that mess in the morning. Then thee is a shot towards the weekend to put down the remaining stem. There is over a cord in the part I am working on and a good half cord in the remaining stem. Not the biggest locust I have done but it is a contender.

Harry K

Finished in 2 1/2 hours this morning. I was getting mighty sick of crawling along with that garbage can. Forgot the camera so no pic of the finished cleanup.

Estimate plus/minus a cord of wood from that part of the tree and a fair load still in the remaining stem. Be the end of the week before I can get back to it.

Harry K

Put down the last third of the tree...with difficulty. Due to having to cut above the wire scars I just could not get the saw into proper position. After 3 tries at the angle cut I grabbed my stepstool and stood on it. Didn't need it for the back cut but once again the false starts are on display on the stump.

lastthird.jpg

MS361 failed me. After doing the falling cuts I shut it off. Did a bit of trimming with the 210 then tried the 361 - very hard to puill over and couldn't start it. Made do with the 310 for the rest of the time. Ready to leave I figured I'd try starting it again - pulled normal, started with usual 2 pulls and cut like a dream through 2 30" cuts of the root swell log. I should have shut it down and tried a restart when it was hot but didn't think to do that (slaps forehead)

Had to start on the butt (I like to start at the top) to clear a way to pile brush. 12 big rounds took me to the first branch. Loaded them and proceeded to the usual cut some, drag brush, drag trashcan picking up the little pieces.

I had hoped to finish today. I knew as soon as it hit the ground I couildn't and it might take two more trips. Did a bit better than expected and it looks like about 3 hours to finish.

Kind of a sad event knowing it is probably the last locust I will ever cut - I for sure don't need anymore but still...

Hoping to go tomorrow but weather is "iffy".

Harry K

Kind of a sad event knowing it is probably the last locust I will ever cut - I for sure don't need anymore but still...

Harry K

Harry, we know you far better than to beleive that. I call BULLS#IT! Give a guy like you half an inkling that there might be a dead locust somewhere in the state of WA and you'll be on it like white on rice. It's OK, you can't help it, there's no beating FAD!

Harry, we know you far better than to beleive that. I call BULLS#IT! Give a guy like you half an inkling that there might be a dead locust somewhere in the state of WA and you'll be on it like white on rice. It's OK, you can't help it, there's no beating FAD!

Gotta admit that I can't help but eyeball every farmstead I go by :)

Harry K

There are about 20 (+/-) Locust trees around my brothers barn up in Mt Vernon Harry :msp_smile:

There are about 20 (+/-) Locust trees around my brothers barn up in Mt Vernon Harry :msp_smile:

Don't temp me :) Bit far though.

Finished it today in 3 hours under miserable conditions, cold and wind, wearing long johns, coat and gloves. I was really sweating the weather. Wet season is here and I was afraid I'd get rained out of it before I finished clean up. Just did, started to rain again about an hour after I got home.

Harry K

Back