? about contract climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really do love contract climbs

I run my own tree service, and those companies I contract climb for have found me by stopping and watching while I was doing a climb. They see, we talk. They gawk at my hourly rate for contract work, and I follow with that if I'm called, I will drop whatever I'm doing, in whatever weather, and come fully equipped, fed, and ready to go up. I have backup saws, extra ropes, I carry my own insurance and that I start getting paid when I arrive onsite.

A number of calls have been when the crew has gotten the lower limbs out, and they realize the upper-level task is bigger than life. Instead of the job grinding to a halt and money and time being lost, they call me, take a lunch break, and I arrive.

With the extra saw and climber guy on the ground, cleanup can proceed swiftly and I make it a point to narrate the technical aspects for the future benefit of the grounded climber.

I'll stay until ALL the cutting is done, or until they say they can handle it from there.

Most recently, a tree was offered to me on the day before. We agreed that I would bring my full rig and ground guy, and do the tree, beginning-to-end, not involving Bossman's company at all. Bossman made $500 for having done an estimate and dialling my number.

I charge a prohibitively high rate because I don't want to be called unless the tree is a super hairy-scary, technical dangerous, problem child. Nothing worse than speeding a crew through a rather simple tree, just to make the equivalent $$ that I would have on my own site. -TM-

EXCELLENT POST!!!
smokin.gif

Back