? about my 257

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbhooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Would I gain enough on my old 257 with a muffler mod to make it worth it, or should I just save the deflector and screen for another saw? I don't use the saw a lot, although it runs great. Any input is appreciated as I am fairly new to this muff mod stuff. It just seems that on these old saws with empty muflers, the gain may be fairly small.

The 257 and 262 mufflers seem pretty free to me, but I would mod it if it were mine. If you really want to have some fun, drop a 262 top end on it with the modded mufler. Then you'll be selling the 361 and 359.

That sounds like a great thing-for anybody that has more ability than I do! I am just too scared to start a project like that without someone helping that knows their stuff.

Hey, I've got a 257 that I really enjoy. It all started with a search for info on one that I just bought used and got lucky on.

Then I found this place looking for specs and such... Downward or upward spiral your choice of wording but here I am a few months later with a ported,squish lowered,Large hole in my muffler Kick ass running although quite loud:rock: 257.

Many thanks again to one Mr b200driver who sent me a used but useable cylinder to practice porting. YOU:rock:!!!!

So after running the saw stock for a while and having this cylinder just begging to be put to some serious work I widend the intake and exh. ports as much as I could while staying fairly safe. I left the transfers alone due to my lack of understanding on what to do to make them better. After looking at the 029 cyl I have on my bench at the moment I would say I don't see any need to mess with the 257 transfers.

Made a custom (cardboard,flat not corrugated) base gasket and got the squish to around 20-25 thou put it together and figured out how to tune it.

Good god!!! It really is making me look at my 262xp and think, well your pretty good out of the box but this 257 is kinda lighter and stronger:jawdrop:

Jeeze!! Blah blah b lah. Sorry ok muff mod is simple on one of these. First option is to remove the screen and deflector and cut out the 3\8-7-16 hole under it to whatever makes you feel good.

With the deflector and screen back in place I think you should be safe opening it up as large as you like.

Option #2 the front muff cover is repaceable I put a rather large hole in the front of mine with a hole saw hehehe:) See my profile for a really poor quality pic. The size I went to is probly to big for a stock saw and might be to big for the way mine is set up too.

2 things I like about the front cover mod is that it's a straight shot from the exh. port to the hole. And If you don't like it,went to big, hacked it all up and so on is... The front covers are $5-8 bucks and about 2 min to swap out. I now have 2 stock covers waiting for more elaborate(pretty) mods to impress all the guys here. LOL

Have fun and feel free to pm if your nervous. Oh yeah and search till your eyes bleed then take a five min. break and do it again and again till you figure .
I'm tired of reading I want to start doing.
Worked for me!

Bill

i have considered doing a MM on my 262 several times. but i just don't see where there is that much to be gained in that muffller. it is just an open box with a fairly good-sized opening, as opposed to a 290 that is breathing through a couple of peep holes, and that sees good gains when opened.

I ended up doing a mild mod on the front cover. I drilled a 1/2 inch + hole and then covered it with a home-made spark screen (drilled lots of little holes in a small piece of metal). I don't know that I gained that much, but I tuned it to about 13,400 and spent about an hour in the woods cutting small cedars. The saw idles better than any saw that I own. It really has a consistant idle now. It starts great, idles great, and cuts pretty darn good. It is a back-up/camp saw really anyway and I think that I am satisfied with the performance. :clap:

Back