about stihl and oregon chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WRW said:
Yeah, I guess I could get a bigger saw that has more HP...but then it would weigh more. Is there a chain that skips every sixth or eighth tooth, cause this saw is really close to meeting my expectations as it is.

I wasn't suggesting you get a bigger saw.. just a different chain if it appears to cut better with narrower kerf. If you're running 3/8 or .404, chain there are several semi or full skip chains to be had. None skip every 6th or 8th as you ask, more like every two or three. If you're that close, change the sprocket from an 8 to a 7, or 7 to a 6, or whatever. My 036 cut better on a 16 inch bar and full skip that almost any saw I had - the saw would pull roughly 10K buried in doug fir all day. Personally, as you may be able to tell, I like big teeth and fast chain. I also like the way the really small PMN style .043 cuts on low powered saws. What type of saw do you have?

Stihl chains

Can you buy Stihl ripping chains or do you have to grind them down yourself? I haven't been able to find any.

Crofter,
Thanks for clarifying so eloquently. Testing would prove it, but my feeling is that 2/3 back is near the break-even point.

Lakeside,
I'm cutting hardwoods with a 45cc with 16" bar and .325 chain and a 60cc saw with 18" bar and 3/8 chain.

You use a full-skip on a 16" bar? I know nothing about softwoods, but that sounds contrary to what I've understood.

WRW said:
Crofter,
Thanks for clarifying so eloquently. Testing would prove it, but my feeling is that 2/3 back is near the break-even point.

Lakeside,
I'm cutting hardwoods with a 45cc with 16" bar and .325 chain and a 60cc saw with 18" bar and 3/8 chain.

You use a full-skip on a 16" bar? I know nothing about softwoods, but that sounds contrary to what I've understood.

Often it is contrary... but for me it works. I believe in the shortest bar and most aggressive chain for the job. It's all about keeping chain speed up for a particular wood/saw config. Doug fir may be a "softwood" but often it not in any way "soft". Red Alder (another common tree out here) is a hardwood, but it's not that hard. Skip work great on Alder. Big leaf maple is a hardwood, but really isn't. If you can keep your saw running at max torque with any particular combination of bar and chain, you're cutting at max speed for that chain (I think). In Doug Fir and Alder I can take a big bite with each cutter, throw really big chunks and cut very fast. I also run 20 and 28 on my 361, full skip (now I have to as it will bog down in big wood with full comp chain). Might have changed my sprockets to 8 but I can't remember.

I'm not sure how hard your hardwood is, but you should try a full skip Square ground Stihl chain on your 60 cc saw... It will a little rough riding but you may like it on your 18 inch bar. You might even be able to put an 8 tooth sprocket on it, maybe.

Maybe it's different in real hardwood, but when the 3/8 cutters get cut back to over 2/3, they cut quite slowly... mainly because they can't take as big a chunk out. It's quite noticeable in the sawdust.

I just picked up an old used 038 Magnum for firewood duty. Could someone recomend a good replacement chain (its got a 20" bar)? I'll mostly be bucking 10-18" semi-dirty hardwood.

Stihl RM would be a good bet for semi dirty wood. Either 33 or 36 RM depending upon your chain gauge.
Carlton or Oregon semi chisel would be fine too.

If you choose to use chisel, such as Stihl RS or Oregon LG,LP, you will likely find yourself having to file it more often due to the dirt in the wood, as chisel chain is more vulnerable to damage than is semi chisel. Semi chisel is also slightly more forgiving to file than chisel.

Sounds like a RM/semi-chisel is the ticket for me. I'll figure out what pitch it is and order one up.

Thanks!

(now I'm off to look for threads on chain sharpening equipment...)

Does anyone sell Stihl chain online beside Ebay? The local Stihl dealer is a joke and Madsen's is a 200 mile round trip.

Stihl chain is not sold new online...this would violate Stihl policy. You'll have to either eat teh cost at the dealer or get an Oregon 72/75DP or Carlton equivalent.

There are a lot of Ebay chain selles that sell Stihl chain new and packaged. The "not online" policy only applies to Stihl dealers, but Stihl dealers are not supposed to sell to "known resellers". Boxes of chain get sold all day and who knows where it goes:)

Latest posts

Back