Access roads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geofore

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I spent a couple of days at a friends clearing one side of his property, 2000'. Ajoining property owner is about to have 100 acres timbered. I cleared a 15' wide trail between the property lines and let the timber guys know they marked a few trees over the line. They made an offer to buy the trees and timber all of Jim's place and he turned them down. It's 500' to the road from Jim's place and the road is about a mile to take the trees out the other way. I told Jim they probably made him the offer for the money to be made on his trees but what they really want is to the use of his road/driveway to move the timber out rather than haul it all the way back out the other way. It's lets make a deal time for the timber outfit. They want easy access and have not offered to pay for it. I say they will do that next. I told Jim if they make an offer about moving the trees across his place to get easy access to the road 1) get a written contract for use/repair of road and loading area. 2) an escrow account up front for the cost of repair/use of the access road and loading. 3) a time limit (months or weeks) on how long they can use it. 4) a copy of their ins. coverage. 5) limit the width of the road they use/where they enter/exit his property. They most likely want to use the access road at the far end of his porperty. It would be a good deal if they replace the narrow (14') gate at the far end of his property and put stone down for the first 100' into the property at the far end when and while they use it. Level the ruts when they're done and stone it x feet in. Near end it's 350' to the road but the pond is in the way, I don't want to go there. I don't think they'd want to replace the pond. I've done deals for temp right-of-way for money before but I don't know these guys and neither does Jim. Best I could do is offer Jim what he needs to do when the offer is made for access/use of his road if he doesn't want to sell his trees. I'm sure some of you have had to pay for access across ajoining property. What are your thoughts? Property Line is cleared and the No Tresspass signs are up Survey was done. The timber outfit will be in on the ajoining property this fall/winter.

Latest posts

Back