acrid smell outside when burning

• Thread starter Deleted member 116684
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 116684

It stinks, and I don't know what is causing it. I didn't see a lot of creosote this year when I checked the pipe and cleaned the stove, but I haven't swept the pipe in a few years either. It smells when I burn a fire outside and i'm looking for the voice of experience. Could it be creosote or does anyone have another cause for an acrid smell coming out of my pipe when I'm burning? insulated ss with cap liner on an OSBURN 2200

I also have a ss liner and have smelled an odd smell once in a while too. Not sure what causes it , i never have an excessive amount of creosote either. Maybe somthing with the liner?

What are you burning? Just as some woods like cherry, cedar, etc. give off very pleasant smells, some like cottonwood, elm (if not fully seasoned), and probably others, just stink. Burning hot cuts down on the aroma, but you can still get a whiff now and then.

What are you burning? Just as some woods like cherry, cedar, etc. give off very pleasant smells, some like cottonwood, elm (if not fully seasoned), and probably others, just stink. Burning hot cuts down on the aroma, but you can still get a whiff now and then.
Agree with Steve here. What kind of wood are you burning? Elm and cottonwood are at the top of my list too of worst offenders. I've heard russian olive is bad but I wouldn't even know one if I was looking at it!

You're not by chance burning catalpa are you? I think that stuff stinks. I also agree, elm can have an off smell.

Box elder is nasty smelling when burning and not so good when it's not burning. :)
After 2 years of burning I'm guessing anything that was in the pipe insulated layer should have lost it's smell so it's a woodstove air thing or a woodstove wood thing.
To little air can cause smoke to smell quite off and so can damp wood burning poorly.

98% of the time it wood be the species of wood and low temp burn. Low temp burn could be caused be fuel being a tad on the high side of internal moisture. Some species are just unkind ( as noted above )scent wise no matter what.

With the possible exception of hickory, to me anyway... even the worst smelling wood burnt dry, smells better than the best smelling wood burnt wet. I also don't care for the smell of burning bark, I place it right up there with a burning pile of wet leaves. And any rotten or "punky" wood... wet or dry... smells horrible to me when burnt.

I have been tossing a few pieces of Siberian Elm. Trying to get rid of it. It stinks. When I go outside and it smells really bad then I'll go back in and open up the air dials a tad more so the neighbors don't have to smell it!
Time to start mixing cherry with it! I don't want to be "that" neighbor who stinks everything up! It would be like the guy that insists on burning all his plastics and diapers in the burn barrel just up wind from your house!

Burning box elder, basswood, or cottonwood stink to me. The smell reminds me of the smell of drinking beer around a burning barrel and someone chooses to relieve them sellf of filtered beer onto the hot barrel.

Funny some complain of elm, I like how elm smells when it is burning. Oak smells worse to me, but I expect that is because many who are burning oak are burning it still a little to wet.

I agree with others, cold fires combine with damp wood equals stink. Also, did your wood this year come from a different source this year? Maybe it is some mineral that is in the wood?

Quite a few people say that elm is a stinky wood burning, I get the occasional piece of American Elm that has an odd burning odour but most of the time even American Elm is a decent smelling wood, less air more stinky.
Rock elm has a very nice fruit and woodsy smell, quite nasty smelling smoke with less that lots of air though.
We all know Siberian is stinky stuff pretty much all the time burning no matter what the air setting but a real nose nasty when smouldering.

Can anyone speak for Red Elm and slippery Elm?
Curious to see if elm has a pattern here for air needs and that is why people are finding elm a stinky smoke wood.

Damp bark/wood = mold and mildew. Think old wet sweat socks and sneakers in the fire.
Sorry for the vivid imagery there.

burning oak mostly. It might be dampness in the wood. The wood isn't as seasoned as I like. The smell is metallic,if that makes any sense. I burn hot fires and smell it more often when the fire is really hot or just starting out from a cold fire. Thanks for all the replies!!!

Latest posts

Back