actual temperatures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcars2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
with advice from this sight and from other sources, i drilled a hole in my stove pipe about 30 inches above the stove.
i then inserted a charcoil grill thermometer.
it shows almost 100 degree difference from the one that mounted with amagnet in the same location.
any decent fire shows about 350-400 degree flue temp with air directed through the catalyst.
if this is useless information judge it as such!!
LATER

The instructions that came with my Condor which is made specificaly to measure flue temp says 18" above the top of the stove

Anyone have any idea how far off the magnet style is on a double wall stove pipe? Is there something better to use?

Anyone have any idea how far off the magnet style is on a double wall stove pipe? Is there something better to use?

Just the design of a bi-metal temp sensor can be way off from one to the other, there not real accurate, but can be used is a refrance. I do like the probes, you know what your into.

Just my $0.02 cents worth, I'm not worried to much when I'm there, but it's when I need to leave it, or go to bed that I like to know it's a safe temp. If the magnet on the double wall was good at 400 (for a say) one day, it should be good at 350 if your stepping out?

Just the design of a bi-metal temp sensor can be way off from one to the other, there not real accurate, but can be used is a refrance. I do like the probes, you know what your into.

Just my $0.02 cents worth, I'm not worried to much when I'm there, but it's when I need to leave it, or go to bed that I like to know it's a safe temp. If the magnet on the double wall was good at 400 (for a say) one day, it should be good at 350 if your stepping out?

Mine gives ranges for too cold, just right , too hot and I try to keep it at the bottom of the just right 300 deg to be safe. I've had the stove top lightly glowing (turned on the light and couldn't see the glow anymore) and the temp on the gauge was still below 400 deg. It seems like it drops into the low 200 range when I shut it down for the night. I have the gauge hanging about twenty inches above the stove top.

I would be interested in using a probe to get a more accurate idea of how hot I'm burning if anyone could recommend a good one.

On a double-wall pipe the magnetic thermometer isn't going to be very accurate at all. A probe type is about the only way to get accurate numbers.

I use a Infrared Temperature probe.
Temperature Range -18 to 400°C (0 to 750°F)
No holes to drill, Hand held, non-contact infrared thermometer with laser sighting.
Just point and shoot. The temperature immediately displays.

thats what i have been using, its great for monitoring the temps on different area's of the pipe, using it right now as a matter of fact...lol

I use a Infrared Temperature probe.
Temperature Range -18 to 400°C (0 to 750°F)
No holes to drill, Hand held, non-contact infrared thermometer with laser sighting.
Just point and shoot. The temperature immediately displays.

Yeah I got one of those too. The problem is it still only gives me the temp of the outer wall. I'm curious what the temp at the inner wall is. It is fun to play with though. :cool:

Latest posts

Back