Adding a new stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am thinking about adding another woodstove in the finished portion of my basement. The floor is raised off of the slab by vapor barrier and a 2x4 frame. To create the hearth I guess I should cut out a section and build up block to be above the floor cover it in cement board and a decorative tile of my wife’s choosing.
I will vent the stove out a basement window, I will run single wall stove pipe to the window where I will switch to the triple wall insulated stuff. Once outside I will use a chimney kit.
I am looking for all comments, advice, links for cheap pipe. Thanks

What is the clearance going to be from the top of the smoke pipe to the finished ceiling in the basement, as it goes to the window?

It's not cheap, but it's considerably safer, the double wall smoke pipe, stainless inside pipe, black pipe outside, gives a clearance to combustibles of 6".

I used the single wall when I first setup my woodburner, just to get a feel for it all, that same season I upgraded to the double wall pipe, much happier, safer too.
Everything came from Menards, plenty inexpensive for our puprose.

Lots of good info here, but you know that already.:cheers:

Last edited:
What is the clearance going to be from the top of the smoke pipe to the finished ceiling in the basement, as it goes to the window?QUOTE]

That is exactly the questions\advice I am looking for, I am just starting to look at this project and that is one thing I did not think of yet. the Window is flush with the ceiling, so I will need insulated pipe for that section as well. Thanks for asking that on.

I don't think you have to cut out the floor two by fours and the vapor barrier.

You should be able to build a heat shield right on top of your existing finished floor. It's done in wooden floored houses all of the time.

hmm I guess your right just cut the carpet away. Are they just tiled cement board?

Heat shields are sold at Menards, pretty inexpensive, designed for next to and under woodburning appliances. Appearance isn't bad either.

You should be able to provide protection, in an aesthetic manner, without disturbing anything, except the hole for the smoke pipe.
Keep reading, and asking questions, easier than going:cry:

You might want to check in at the ********** site. To pass inspection (& be covered by insurance) you will have to meet all the clearances specified for your stove. That will include the hearth meeting a particular R value for that stove. The regs have changed & now say that R value must be carried out to 18" from the front of the door.

I am only repeating what I have picked up from the hearth website.
Al

Also, since its in a basement codes may require you to put the stove on an 18" pedestal. Its a new code in California if there could be flammables in the area. I think a oil or propane furnace or water heater may trigger this. I'm no expert, just something to check into. Look at you local building codes, nothing worse than having a insurance company deny a claim because something was not installed to code.
Dok

Also, since its in a basement codes may require you to put the stove on an 18" pedestal. Its a new code in California if there could be flammables in the area. I think a oil or propane furnace or water heater may trigger this. I'm no expert, just something to check into. Look at you local building codes, nothing worse than having a insurance company deny a claim because something was not installed to code.
Dok

Good point.

My insurance came out, took pictures/measurments of front to back clearances, added $300 annually to my rate, but if the house burns down, full replacement of house and contents. At $165+/sqft building costs, its money well spent just in case.
They had no issue with me having installed it either, it was all about clearances to them. The double wall smoke pipe turned out to be a good idea from their standpoint too.

The woodfurnace was existing when they came out, we were changing insurers because of this.

Last edited:
When I added my other stove I was amazed they did not even come out just asked me what make and model the stove was. My premium increased $3 a quarter.
I am such a nut when it comes to the safety of my home I always add a min of 10% to all my min clearances. I appreciate all the input, like I said I am only beginning to think about this project. It's looking more like a spring or summer project for financial reasons.

For the base on my cheap Vogelzang cast iron boxwood stove I just made a base out of OSB and 2X4's with cement blocks in the center for weight and put a sheet of raised ridge roofing tin on top of the OSB separated with some roofing nails and then put this hole thing up on top of some cement blocks. It doesn't meet any codes (not that there are any here) but it isn't smoking and it is sturdy not to mention the best thing of all IT WAS FREE :D oh and the feet have been recessed down into the base about two or three inches.

Latest posts

Back