adding axle to my 10x6x2' single axle trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I talked to a metal fabrication /welding shop today. $400 to $500 to cut and reweld existing axle to balance trailer properly.... Or $150 to weld leaf spring brackets behind existing axle. (3,500). So it will add tongue weight right? Not an issue I am hauling 1 cord of green or dry hardwood with my e-350..... I have used this trailer two years now hauling cords of firewood. Tires springs and axle way overloaded. I have replaced all of the above. At tire store now. I watch tires closely and buy more before its to late...... Thus far that is.... :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:. Any issues or problems I might run into? I plan on buying another set of single springs that okay? Thanks in advance. I will take picture of trailer when I get home.

Not quite sure what balance issue you are having?

The problem with just adding an axle is the trailer frame itself is usually built to hold around what the axle is rated to. Adding another 3k axle isn't going to make it a 6k trailer without beefing up the frame, tongue, ball coupler, etc.

Pics will help for sure.

If the trailer frame is well built, I would think about replacing the existing axle with a heavy rated one (in your case a 5 or 6k axle). With a cord of wood you are sitting around 2x the rated load on that 3.5k axle.

I think the second axle would be too far back. I would move the existing axle up at least a foot before adding additional axle or buy a bigger single axle or stronger trailer. I got a quote for complete 5k axle not including tires/wheels/rims for $400 not installed.

Look around on CL and you might find a cheap stronger trailer for to same cost as retrofitting yours or someone looking to downsize/trade. I would value yours at $400 just from your pic.

I'm with stonny9. My partner has a dual Axel 6'x14' he bought used for about 1000$. It has brakes n he has a brake controller in cab. Not only do we load twice on his trailer that we put on my 6'x12' single Axel but also he can cruise faster n still be in control. BTW, I once popped all lug nuts on I side n wheel (thankfully) went in sugar cane field. I weighed all logs n had 5200# on my 6x12 trailer. Don't wanna cause any accident! Good luck, be safe![emoji61] I edited this after talking to partner. his is only 6'x16'. My trailer is 6'x12'. we were probably overloading his cause the 2 axels are 3500# Capacity each.....

Back