Adding green wood to overnight load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackydeejay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I mentioned this in a separate thread and thought it was worth its own thread. A few of the old timers around here tell me they add a green log into the mix so that they get a longer burn overnight. Then they crank the fire up in the morning to burn off the creosote that might have accumulated from the green wood.

I don't think I'm a big fan of this, although I've never actually tried it myself. I have always been able to get a good 8 hour burn without any smoldering just using dry wood if I use the right stuff and set my air flow properly. Now I understand some of the older stoves and installations might not allow for that long of a burn. Either way, the practice of using green wood to slow down a burn still seems a bit dangerous for my taste.

Oh, I am not considering buring green wood at all. I was just commenting on the practice.

Herein lies a prime example of folks cutting corners to get the burner to do what they need or want it to do....this practice is dangerous not to mention sorta stupid....think about it.You get more btu's from dryer wood. Moving dryer wood is lighterand easier to handle. Burning wet wood says you'll need more wood to make the same btus dry wood would make. More cutting splitting stacking and hauling is not something a sane person would opt for.
My advice is that if those folks can't get long enough burn times then getting the proper sized wood burner is the way to go vs burning green wood.

Its a practice from yesteryear when running old, drafty, oversized stoves was the norm. BTU output was not as big of an issue as was maintaining the fire, so anything that slowed the burn down was used. It was bad practice then, and even worse now with the EPA cert. stoves. They simply don't like anything that ain't dry.

On the new airtights, just damping it down will leave plenty half burning coals after 8-10 hours, unless ya burn Cottonwood and the like.

Besides, the green stuff filthys up the glass, and I HATE cleaning the glass.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Besides, the green stuff filthys up the glass, and I HATE cleaning the glass.
Why would you clean it when the next fire does it for you?

The glass is always dirty when I wake up in the morning, then cleaned back off before bed. I can't get a good 8-9hrs out of mine though.

I think just about any of the newer stoves should be able to give you an 8+ hour burn if you've got a good air tight installation and are burning good wood that is dry.

this thread title could also be called "adding overnight creosote to start a chimney fire "

We have an old stove and good and a good pipe. We burn what ever he want to. Green wood, wet wood, dry wood or any combination. Our chimney stays clean. With the old brick chimney we had problems with green or seasoned wood.

Diffident stroke for different folks.

We have an old stove and good and a good pipe. We burn what ever he want to. Green wood, wet wood, dry wood or any combination. Our chimney stays clean. With the old brick chimney we had problems with green or seasoned wood.

Diffident stroke for different folks.

Just to satisfy my own curiosty, what is you reason or logic behind burning green wood..? Is it something you would do in a pinch were you out of seasoned wood..? Do you believe it to burn better than seasoned...? Just curios.

This year I was out of wood in the fall so I dropped a large red oak, that was encroaching on the hay field. Beautiful tree I hated to cut it but we would have been cold if had not done something bold. We were shy on wood because the previous year I cut some blow downs that I haled out with a wheel barrow. Spent more time hauling then cutting.

My mom always wants a load of green wood for the burning season. Last year, I didn't cut her any green wood. Guess what. She still has had coals in the furnace in the morning, even during this winter's long cold snap. She mentioned to me that she didn't have creosote build up in the chimney this year. I told her that was because she wasn't burning green wood this season. She is a convert now.

My mom always wants a load of green wood for the burning season. Last year, I didn't cut her any green wood. Guess what. She still has had coals in the furnace in the morning, even during this winter's long cold snap. She mentioned to me that she didn't have creosote build up in the chimney this year. I told her that was because she wasn't burning green wood this season. She is a convert now.

HAHA...way to work some psychology on your mother! I'm sure she did plenty of that to you growing up.

I have had to burn a bit of green wood from time to time. I have a longwood furnace which according to the guy who had it in the house I bought was designed to burn green wood. It will take a log up to 5 feet long, and it starts with natural gas flame blown in with a flame that looks like a jet fighter on afterburner. Once it gets going you just add wood as needed. Green wood doesn't work well, and I never put in 5 foot logs, so I filled the back end with granite field stones, 4-500 lbs to give longer heat retention. I just put in a BIG piece of Oak or Red Elm to burn overnight. If it goes out I just put in new wood and crank the thermostat up and let the gas start it. Not worth burning green wood. JR

Green or seasoned?

I will take all the seasoned wood you have to give, but when you have to be at work 10 hours or so a day like me, I don't mined a little green soft maple. I know that soft maple is good for Putin off allot or creosote but it beats the hell out of coming home to a burnt out fire" You can cut that stuff down in a rain storm,take it in,throw it on some cools and it will take off"" It will burn for a long time if its green" I do clean my stove pipe from time to time. But that's just me!:dizzy:

Back