Adding hot water storage to my OWB non pressurized system??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deutzman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 4436 Central Boiler. I want to add 500 gal. of storage heated water to the system. It's a steel tank that was used to store hydraulic oil and is a heavier tank than is used for fuel. The tank is round. 4' x6'. I will insulate with spray foam closed cell insulation.

I can set the tank near the CB within 3 ft. and it's under a carport shed. My CB has an extra inlet and outlet that I can add a pump to circulate water from the CB to the tank and back. That would be the easiest to install. Or I can by cutting a hole in cinder block get the tank beside the water to air heat exchanger. This would be in a small building with a roof and door on it and use existing lines from the CB to go through the tank and then to the heat exchanger.

I've searched this site and found some talk of adding storage mainly from folks that know someone that has done it but haven't found anyone that has done it and gone in to detail about the plumbing and where to add the tank.

Can anyone here give some input on how this should be done? I'd like to do it right the first time. Pictures would be great too is anyone has some. I have more questions and will keep this short till I have some replies with knowledge of how this should be done.

Any help would be appreciated.

You're probably looking at the wrong place---********** might be of more help. Personally I doubt you'd gain much unless the heat loss from your storage went into the heated structure. Your storage will always be losing heat, yet you'll be lucky to utilize the storage more than a few times a day.

Are your burn times too short? Can you add some floor radiant? Floor radiant turns some of the mass of the structure into storage plus allows lower boiler temps which helps efficiency.

Lots of different methods for controling storage and it can get fairly complex in a hurry.

Go to the Boiler room at ********** They will answer all your questions

Back