Adding/Increasing Splitter Fuel Capacity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivadesl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a 35ton Huskee/Speeco log splitter which uses a 13hp B&S Intek engine. I've put less than 10 hours on it so far, but noticed its pretty thirsty on fuel, even when I run it at less than full throttle. So I'm thinking of maybe adding or replacing the fuel tank with something larger. Can anyone suggest a good source for this kind of thing. The existing tank is roughly .5 gal and I would like to double that or more if I can rig up something to fit. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Build a frame and mount a genset fuel tank. You can get a ten gallon one from nothern tool for 90$ made out of plastic which is a bit better than steel and its on page 7 in the fall/winter book.

fuel pump

Build a frame and mount a genset fuel tank. You can get a ten gallon one from nothern tool for 90$ made out of plastic which is a bit better than steel and its on page 7 in the fall/winter book.

The question is,.. Does your engine have a fuel pump,?..Was the tank mounted above the engine,/ gravity feed? If you have a fuel pump on the engine it opens up many options,. you can buy a little 2.5 gal boat tank cheep, And instead of dumping fuel in it out of a gas can, take it to the gas station and fill it there,..many small engine problems are the resut of filling them with our (GAS CANS) dirt and condesation is a common problem, Unless you store the gas can inside it will have water/condesation in it,

1/2 throttle

"This is never really a good idea in any equipment. Way out of the power band. 1/2 the cooling air. Low efficiency for both the engine and pump. I know it sounds like it's not working as hard, but it's like going uphill in a truck in the wrong gear."

"This is never really a good idea in any equipment. Way out of the power band. 1/2 the cooling air. Low efficiency for both the engine and pump. I know it sounds like it's not working as hard, but it's like going uphill in a truck in the wrong gear."

I disagree, I feel that half throttle is more efficient than wide open. I notice on my splitter that there is no differance in cycle time between 1/2 throttle and wide open. My hydraulic oil also stays cooler at half vs. wide open and I am only running a 3.5 horse motor. The only time that it comes over half throttle is for that super knotted round that refuses to split. So if I am running close to max efficiency at 1/2 throttle why waste the extra gas to go full throttle and make more noise than I want to hear to begin with.

I was just posting what another member said to me when I did what you do.... I don't really know what the truth is, wheather it is harmful or not...?

I/2 throttle, full load ,on a small engine , splash lube, no pump,. is a quick way to COOK, the wrist pins,. OR ,TOAST might be a better word,. I had the chance to experince the 1/2 throttle, setting,.. and decided its not a good idea

Nah, I'm not running at half throttle, more like 3/4. But thats not the issue. Hey JeffHK454, how long have you had your machine and was it always easy on fuel or did this develop after a break in period? I've heard others comment on the B&S engines gulping fuel so surprised to hear that, but worth looking into, thanks. I was figuring on maybe a 2-5 gal tank, I didn't want something sticking way out or getting in the way of operation. Google search didn't show to much, I was hoping for maybe an aftermarket type distributor who may have something I can adapt to.

I've got a 35ton Huskee/Speeco log splitter which uses a 13hp B&S Intek engine. I've put less than 10 hours on it so far, but noticed its pretty thirsty on fuel, even when I run it at less than full throttle. So I'm thinking of maybe adding or replacing the fuel tank with something larger. Can anyone suggest a good source for this kind of thing. The existing tank is roughly .5 gal and I would like to double that or more if I can rig up something to fit. Any ideas?? Thanks.
i THINK WHEN I HAD MY HUSKEE, IT WOULD RUN FOR AT LEAST 4 HRS ON A TANK. iTS TIME TO TAKE A BREAK WHEN IT QUITS ANYWAY

I don't have a ton of experience with newer small engines, but on the old ones the "throttle" lever is really only controlling the governor spring tension. So in essence you are only controlling how far you are allowing the governor to open and not really doing much to the throttle plate itself.

For instance with the old 3 hp Briggs I have on my elevator, the rpm difference between 1/2 and full throttle is almost negligable unless you put it under load. Since that 26' elevator barely loads the engine, I almost never run it at more than 1/2 throttle.

go to a B&S dealer and look at the fuel tanks on a larger Intek engine of the same type. you may find a bolt-on tank the doesn't look mickey-mouse.

Latest posts

Back